The Student Room Group

Best Antivirus

What is the best antivirus?

is there a decent free one?

I've just realised malwarebytes are no longer offering theirs free. It was quite a decent antivirus imo. It's a real shame name now they've got greedy

end of an era?

Is there a decent free alternative?

I am going to be navigating sites soon where I really need a good antivirus.
tbh i may have already caught one..

I wouldn't really like to pay for one, but the pain and inconvenience of having my computer at risk, is too high so if i can't find a free one then recommend a paid one.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
What is the best antivirus?

is there a decent free one?

I've just realised malwarebytes are no longer offering theirs free. It was quite a decent antivirus imo. It's a real shame name now they've got greedy

end of an era?

Is there a decent free alternative?

I wouldn't really like to pay for one, but the pain and inconvenience of having my computer at risk, is too high so if i can't find a free one then recommend a paid one.

What OS are you using?
Reply 2
Original post by bIuewolf21
What OS are you using?

windows
Reply 3
windows defender always struck me as quite basic when i used it in the past. malwarebytes picked up stuff that it couldnt find...
Reply 4
im not a natwest customer.

but if i made an account with them they'd have to give it to me, right?
Original post by ANM775
windows

I'd go with Windows Defender then as it comes built-in and is perfectly fine. Ultimately, at the end of the day, common sense is going to be more useful than any AV.
i have used various free products over the years... ZoneAlarm, AVG, Avast, Comodo,MBAM... they all worked & i never had serious malware problems

i did use Combofix once or twice :afraid:
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
i have used various free products over the years... ZoneAlarm, AVG, Avast, Comodo,MBAM... they all worked & i never had serious malware problems

i did use Combofix once or twice :afraid:

i just googled the first one in that list and its a paid product
Original post by ANM775

it was free in the good old days :h:

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-antivirus

:facepalm2:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775

Avast is one I use, one of the best IMO. Regular update definitions and serves as a Anti-malware and Anti-virus.

AVG is the exact same as Avast, just different branding. Only thing is that Avast does try to up-sell but ignore the prompts you get from time-to-time.
Reply 10
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Avast is one I use, one of the best IMO. Regular update definitions and serves as a Anti-malware and Anti-virus.

AVG is the exact same as Avast, just different branding. Only thing is that Avast does try to up-sell but ignore the prompts you get from time-to-time.

ok thanks
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
it was free in the good old days :h:

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-antivirus

:facepalm2:

when i searched for it on google i got another page which made it crystal clear you had to pay for it. and no free option was presented to the user.

strange..........
Original post by ANM775

Windows Defender, coupled with not going to dodgy sites in the first place. AV will protect against unsophisticated attacks, but can't do an awful lot if you're actively going looking for trouble. Not to mention you can't rate one AV highly on account of it catching stuff that another AV doesn't, because you can't account for all the things you don't know got through.

If for some reason you actually need to navigate to dodgy sites, you should change your entire approach. AV is not the solution here, compartmentalising your system is. Ideally that means a totally different computer on a separate network, but in reality it probably means a virutal machine.

As far as third party tools go, none integrate with Windows as well as Defender. Performance hits range from minor to quite substantial. It isn't uncommon for free tools to throttle your computer, pretend you have a problem and convince you into buying the paid version. Ultimately I wouldn't be relying on just an AV to keep me safe though, it's another barrier rather than a "do whatever you like without thinking" card. AV is in some cases quite trivial to bypass.
(edited 3 years ago)
Superantispyware or Avast is fine.
Though it can slow down your computer a bit.
Best way is to be really cautious of what you click and site you visit.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by AcseI
Windows Defender, coupled with not going to dodgy sites in the first place. AV will protect against unsophisticated attacks, but can't do an awful lot if you're actively going looking for trouble. Not to mention you can't rate one AV highly on account of it catching stuff that another AV doesn't, because you can't account for all the things you don't know got through.

If for some reason you actually need to navigate to dodgy sites, you should change your entire approach. AV is not the solution here, compartmentalising your system is. Ideally that means a totally different computer on a separate network, but in reality it probably means a virutal machine.

As far as third party tools go, none integrate with Windows as well as Defender. Performance hits range from minor to quite substantial. It isn't uncommon for free tools to throttle your computer, pretend you have a problem and convince you into buying the paid version. Ultimately I wouldn't be relying on just an AV to keep me safe though, it's another barrier rather than a "do whatever you like without thinking" card. AV is in some cases quite trivial to bypass.

I wanted to download some things........., and the sites kept telling me to take off my adblock after clicking through trying to get the link. I reluctantly took it off. next with mcafee ad on in chrome kept saying it was blocking dodgy looking sites and some of them had pups. I then thought perhaps the sites didn't have what i want and it was a trap.....but then kept seeing other people had used the sites successfully.

so (perhaps foolishly) i went to my firefox browser which doesn't have that add on, and also disabled ad block. finally i was given a torrent link. so i downloaded a torrent program ....and finally got the file. I have gotten several other torrent files since but do not like using his method of getting files. malwarebytes appears to have a free scanner but apparently if they find anything you now have to pay for premium or it wont get removed. as of yet it hasn't found anything. i'm not sure if it's because i've been lucky ...or there's virus's there it can't find.

how easy are these virtual machines to set up? is there any sites you recommend that shows how in an easy to follow way?
will being on a virtual machine prevent me from being tracked regarding my downloads. I'm aware I may be tracked and my ISP contacted. I'd rather not fork out money for a vpn or seedbox. If I get a warning letter i may consider doing so. I have tor but i've heard that is ineffective for masking identities using torrent.

unfortunately i cannot find these files anywhere other than torrents. of the few direct download links i found all are dead.
Original post by ANM775
how easy are these virtual machines to set up? is there any sites you recommend that shows how in an easy to follow way?

Relatively simple. Download and install virtualbox, download either a Linux ISO or the Media Creation Tool and create a Windows ISO. Create and install the OS, more or less done.

There are dozens of sites that will walk you through creating a virtual machine. Of course whether it's a viable option or not is another matter. I'm just assuming your host machine is capable of running a virtual machine, because it's the solution to the problem presented. It's not necessarily a solution to your specific problem.

Original post by ANM775
will being on a virtual machine prevent me from being tracked regarding my downloads. I'm aware I may be tracked and my ISP contacted. I'd rather not fork out money for a vpn or seedbox. If I get a warning letter i may consider doing so. I have tor but i've heard that is ineffective for masking identities using torrent.

No, a virtual machine will do nothing of the sort. The goal of running a virtual machine is to sandbox any malware you download. Torrenting was never mentioned, and is a totally different field. The point of running a VM is that you'd be able to download a file, and if it's malicious you simply delete the VM rather than having it infect your entire OS.

Also worth asking, why would you be contacted by your ISP? Torrenting is not inherently problematic, however the most common reason is to circumvent copyright protection. If that's the route this thread is going down, then a reminder it is against TSR rules to discuss that.

Additionally, torrenting just adds another layer to the problem. It's sounding an awful lot like you're going to dodgy torrent sites, then unsurprisingly getting malware. But even assuming you find a legit site to download whatever it is you want, you have absolutely zero knowledge as to whether the original creator has put something malicious in the files. Backdooring a popular program, or sticking some malware in a popular film, then releasing it out to be torrented is an excellent way to share malware.

If you are actively going looking for these things, there is only so much protection can do for you.

Original post by ANM775
unfortunately i cannot find these files anywhere other than torrents. of the few direct download links i found all are dead.

And what are these files exactly? Keeping in mind the above points.
Reply 16
Original post by AcseI
Relatively simple. Download and install virtualbox, download either a Linux ISO or the Media Creation Tool and create a Windows ISO. Create and install the OS, more or less done.

There are dozens of sites that will walk you through creating a virtual machine. Of course whether it's a viable option or not is another matter. I'm just assuming your host machine is capable of running a virtual machine, because it's the solution to the problem presented. It's not necessarily a solution to your specific problem.

No, a virtual machine will do nothing of the sort. The goal of running a virtual machine is to sandbox any malware you download. Torrenting was never mentioned, and is a totally different field. The point of running a VM is that you'd be able to download a file, and if it's malicious you simply delete the VM rather than having it infect your entire OS.

Also worth asking, why would you be contacted by your ISP? Torrenting is not inherently problematic, however the most common reason is to circumvent copyright protection. If that's the route this thread is going down, then a reminder it is against TSR rules to discuss that.

Additionally, torrenting just adds another layer to the problem. It's sounding an awful lot like you're going to dodgy torrent sites, then unsurprisingly getting malware. But even assuming you find a legit site to download whatever it is you want, you have absolutely zero knowledge as to whether the original creator has put something malicious in the files. Backdooring a popular program, or sticking some malware in a popular film, then releasing it out to be torrented is an excellent way to share malware.

If you are actively going looking for these things, there is only so much protection can do for you.

And what are these files exactly? Keeping in mind the above points.

thanks for the reply.

the virtual machine thing sounds like it would work well in protecting me from potential nasties.

perhaps it's best you don't ask anymore questions about the files. It's not films or PC software though.....
Reply 17
i've got one last question about the virtual box though?

I am following this guide.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/198427-how-to-install-windows-10-in-a-virtual-machine

where it says "Now, you need to decide how much RAM you want to allocate for this VM. For the x86 version, you’ll need at least 1GB of RAM. For the x64 version, you’ll need 2GB. I have 16GB of RAM in my desktop, so I decided that 4GB was right for my configuration. Whatever you decide, just make sure you stay in the green. If you allocate too much RAM, you’ll end up with serious performance issues."

I have 4GB of ram, If I allocate 2GB of ram to the virtual box does that mean as soon as I run the virtual box I will only have 2GB Ram available on my main windows?

because I fear it may crash or something or all the programs freeze up. I'm not sure if Windows can even run on 2GB RAM.
Original post by ANM775
I have 4GB of ram, If I allocate 2GB of ram to the virtual box does that mean as soon as I run the virtual box I will only have 2GB Ram available on my main windows?

because I fear it may crash or something or all the programs freeze up. I'm not sure if Windows can even run on 2GB RAM.

Not necessarily, but I generally don't recommend trying to virtualise Windows on 4GB of RAM as 2GB doesn't give you a great experience. It'll run, just won't be pretty.

It's not like it's really an issue though. If the host crashes you just reboot.

Also fair warning, if you end up downloading a malicious file to your virtual machine, and then proceed to move that file from you VM to your host, you've now infected your host and the VM was fundamentally pointless. And of course, odds are you cannot be sure whether the file is malicious or not. Not to mention malware escaping a VM, or being aware it is in a VM, is a thing. I'm not expecting you to suddenly decide not to go looking for these dodgy files, but you are completely and utterly responsible for whatever happens to your machine. None of this is a surefire way to not get infected. Proceed at your own risk.
Reply 19
Original post by AcseI
Not necessarily, but I generally don't recommend trying to virtualise Windows on 4GB of RAM as 2GB doesn't give you a great experience. It'll run, just won't be pretty.

It's not like it's really an issue though. If the host crashes you just reboot.

Also fair warning, if you end up downloading a malicious file to your virtual machine, and then proceed to move that file from you VM to your host, you've now infected your host and the VM was fundamentally pointless. And of course, odds are you cannot be sure whether the file is malicious or not. Not to mention malware escaping a VM, or being aware it is in a VM, is a thing. I'm not expecting you to suddenly decide not to go looking for these dodgy files, but you are completely and utterly responsible for whatever happens to your machine. None of this is a surefire way to not get infected. Proceed at your own risk.

Malware escaping a VM?? and being aware it's in a VM??

That sounds like some matrix type sh*t. Who equipped malware's with redpill?s lmao..

Definitely a risk of something going wrong. If something bad happens I only have myself to blame I guess......

Latest

Trending

Trending