The Student Room Group

Living with two filthy and disgusting flatmates- should I report them?

Hi,

I moved into a flat with two boys and two girls.

I am a girl and the youngest.

They all leave plates on the side, beer bottles everywhere and stuff. The two boys leave the toilet filthy and it really grosses me out.

The two boys have no manners at all. They walk around naked sometimes (without any underwear) and walk into the kitchen naked.

I walked into them drunk and wrestling naked in the kitchen and the two girls found it funny.

The girls are also rude. they made me miss an appointment as they took over an hour in the bathroom.

One of the ****** told me to go and pee in a Bush when I told her I will wet myself if she doesnt hurry up.

I have confronted them in our group chat but they ignore my concerns and laugh at me.

Should I report them and how????
Reply 1
Who would you be reporting them to exactly?

It sounds like they're not washing up and disrespecting you. A private landlord would just laugh at that kind of complaint. A university however might act on that stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by A+B+C

It sounds like they're not washing up and disrespecting you. A private landlord would just laugh at that kind of complaint. A university however might act on that stuff.

I live in Uni halls so could report them to the uni maybe
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I live in Uni halls so could report them to the uni maybe

Your university will have a procedure for that stuff. Speak to your residential team informally and ask for advice. I had a similar problem when I lived in halls with a shared kitchen, it was filthy, one girl used to freeze her dirty washing up so it wouldn't go mouldy, that's how lazy she was. So I reported them and we all got sent emails saying we had 7 days to clean the kitchen or face a stage 1 warning. The uni staff where great about it and even sent me the warning email too so that it didn't look like I'd complained.
Reply 4
Have they actually broken any rules though? Despite the lack of courtesy it doesnt sound like theyve actually done much that could offend the powers that be. It being their prerogative to wash dishes and how long to spend texting on the can.

You could put in a request to move flats potentially though?
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
Have they actually broken any rules though? Despite the lack of courtesy it doesnt sound like theyve actually done much that could offend the powers that be. It being their prerogative to wash dishes and how long to spend texting on the can.

You could put in a request to move flats potentially though?

There's usually a clause about keeping the flat in a good/clean condition intended for this kind of situation
Reply 6
I think their behaviour is unacceptable and should be punished
Talk to the university. Requesting to move may be one option.
Reply 8
Original post by A+B+C

"A private landlord would just laught at that kind of complaint" this is the dumbest statement I have ever read in my life. Landlords care for their properties which is why they're up for rent in the first place. If the place is trashed and left in an awful state, they'll be really annoyed and vexed about how the occupants left their property in that state. If I was a landlord and someone was non-stop drinking and is causing problems in the property, like not cleaning and keeping the place unhygenic, that would be a problem for me because they're damaging my property that I own and letting them rent. I would know this as well, as I am close with someone that is a landlord.

As for university housing that's up to the university
Original post by DR.DOOM
Landlords care for their properties

Some do, many don't.
Walk around naked? I am now purely disgusted people like that get enrolled in university.
Original post by DiddyDec
Some do, many don't.

I do not believe this madness at all. Housing prices in this country are sky high, there is no way a landlord wouldn't care about their properties unless they run an illegal dodgy business
Original post by DR.DOOM
I do not believe this madness at all. Housing prices in this country are sky high, there is no way a landlord wouldn't care about their properties unless they run an illegal dodgy business

I have worked in property management for 5 years, a lot really don't care.
Original post by deadroseex
Walk around naked? I am now purely disgusted people like that get enrolled in university.

There is a time and a place for being naked. I hope you are not disgusted by my being naked in a sauna or steam room, or in the privacy of a bathroom. I studied living at home so it was not an issue of sharing with people not known to me, but had I been, I would not walk about naked if I thought it would cause offence.
Original post by barnetlad
There is a time and a place for being naked. I hope you are not disgusted by my being naked in a sauna or steam room, or in the privacy of a bathroom. I studied living at home so it was not an issue of sharing with people not known to me, but had I been, I would not walk about naked if I thought it would cause offence.

It is different in a sauna or steam room, or in the privacy of a bathroom! However, if you are living with others especially if you aren't close with them, it is rather disgusting and even if you know the person, it isn't right to be doing stuff like that!
Many wouldn't walk around naked but I know it is something that exsists...
Original post by deadroseex
It is different in a sauna or steam room, or in the privacy of a bathroom! However, if you are living with others especially if you aren't close with them, it is rather disgusting and even if you know the person, it isn't right to be doing stuff like that!
Many wouldn't walk around naked but I know it is something that exsists...

I agree with you, that's my point.
Ugh been there done that. Living with a slob is a nightmare because they make a mess of everything and expect you to clean it up. If you do not clean it they let it get dirty but if you clean it they say 'well you did not have to'. Err yes we did?
Reply 17
i usually frown on grassing, but this is one of the few situations i would actually give my blessing
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I moved into a flat with two boys and two girls.

I am a girl and the youngest.

They all leave plates on the side, beer bottles everywhere and stuff. The two boys leave the toilet filthy and it really grosses me out.

The two boys have no manners at all. They walk around naked sometimes (without any underwear) and walk into the kitchen naked.

I walked into them drunk and wrestling naked in the kitchen and the two girls found it funny.

The girls are also rude. they made me miss an appointment as they took over an hour in the bathroom.

One of the ****** told me to go and pee in a Bush when I told her I will wet myself if she doesnt hurry up.

I have confronted them in our group chat but they ignore my concerns and laugh at me.

Should I report them and how????

Yes report it to the residential team at your uni that behaviour is just unacceptable and must be a nightmare to live with

Quick Reply

Latest