The Student Room Group

combined science trilogy foundation vs higher?

hello.
i have been put on trilogy foundation level gcse. iv just figured out you can only obtain a grade 5 in this tier. my question is if i wanted to move onto being a Vet will this affect my entry? as i can only gain a 5 and not above. would i need to move into higher tier trilogy or am i ok on this foundation tier? thank you
Hi, the entry requirements for veterinary are chemistry and biology and another a level subject of your choice, so it's pretty much like medicine.
In order for you to do chemistry and biology at a level, the you need two 6s in two sciences at GCSE and most colleges don't accept combined/trilogy science, they prefer triple science and I think it's fair because I do biology A level and I did triple science at GCSE and got a really good grade but still finding a level biology hard (the same goes to chemistry a level).
My advice would be try to do triple science if you are still in year 10 or if it's possible to do so at your school or at least just do the higher trilogy and speak to the colleges you will be applying to, to make sure that you are able to do chemistry and biology.
Hi, the entry requirements for veterinary are chemistry and biology and another a level subject of your choice, so it's pretty much like medicine.

In order for you to do chemistry and biology at a level, the you need two 6s in two sciences at GCSE and most colleges don't accept combined/trilogy science, they prefer triple science and I think it's fair because I do biology A level and I did triple science at GCSE and got a really good grade but still finding a level biology hard (the same goes to chemistry a level).

My advice would be try to do triple science if you are still in year 10 or if it's possible to do so at your school or at least just do the higher trilogy and speak to the colleges you will be applying to, to make sure that you are able to do chemistry and biology.
Original post by alicelee111
hello.
i have been put on trilogy foundation level gcse. iv just figured out you can only obtain a grade 5 in this tier. my question is if i wanted to move onto being a Vet will this affect my entry? as i can only gain a 5 and not above. would i need to move into higher tier trilogy or am i ok on this foundation tier? thank you

hi i did trilogy too . my local sixth form only accepted grade 6 and above to do alevel sciences so i would check with the sixth form or college what their entry requirments are. a vet requires biology and chem a level so i would ask to see if you can be put on higher. if that fails, you can become a veterinary nurse (RVN) as im (pretty sure) requires a level 3. there could be a veterinary college near you which does these types of courses. i wanted to be a vet too but i got the govermenent grades because of corona and only got a 5 in sciences and i couldnt do the level 3 courses as theres no work experience at any vets near me! i'd just see if its not too late to move to higher and in that case you can get higher grades in science gsces which will help with alevels!
Reply 4
Original post by Gracetoameh

hi. thank you for your reply. i totally understand you. my teacher has put me on combined science trilogy foundation tier herself in the start of the year without asking me. same for all the students. i have my mocks next week. im in year 11. im kind of in a stuck position.
Reply 5
As others have said, toy generally need better Science GCSE grades than you can get with Foundation in order to progress to A levels - although exactly what grades you need it down to the 6th form. Taking combined Science (which is what trilogy is) is fine, but you'd need to take Higher tier.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
As others have said, toy generally need better Science GCSE grades than you can get with Foundation in order to progress to A levels - although exactly what grades you need it down to the 6th form. Taking combined Science (which is what trilogy is) is fine, but you'd need to take Higher tier.

Does it mean i cannot do alevel sciences with trilogy??

If you do foundation then it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed onto the alevel course (as most places want a 6 in gcse to do the alevel)

Doing triple science gives you a bit of a leg up for doing science at alevel, it’s not essential though, so you could do trilogy/combined science and do the alevel course :yes:
Reply 8
Original post by laurawatt
If you do foundation then it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed onto the alevel course (as most places want a 6 in gcse to do the alevel)

Doing triple science gives you a bit of a leg up for doing science at alevel, it’s not essential though, so you could do trilogy/combined science and do the alevel course :yes:

Sorry im connfused you said its unlikey i could do the alevel with the trilogy. Then you mentioned its not essential and i could do the alevel course with trilogy. Sorry just confused
Sorry im connfused you said its unlikey i could do the alevel with the trilogy. Then you mentioned its not essential and i could do the alevel course with trilogy. Sorry just confused

Hi, sorry for the confusion - you can do science at alevel if you do higher tier regardless of whether it’s triple science/trilogy/combined (you do need to get the grades required by the sixth form/college though)

If you do the foundation tier then it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed to take an alevel science :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Hi, sorry for the confusion - you can do science at alevel if you do higher tier regardless of whether it’s triple science/trilogy/combined (you do need to get the grades required by the sixth form/college though)

If you do the foundation tier then it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed to take an alevel science :smile:

Ahh i seee.. so if i tell my teacher i wouls like to move onto higher tier trilogy would that be fine? Basically foundation tier trilogy just means you get lower grades correct.whereas higher tier trilogy means higher grade boundries right
Ahh i seee.. so if i tell my teacher i wouls like to move onto higher tier trilogy would that be fine? Basically foundation tier trilogy just means you get lower grades correct.whereas higher tier trilogy means higher grade boundries right

Yes, to both of your questions :smile:

You might need to preuve in class tests that you are carrossable of getting a 6 however because I think on higher tier, if you get annoying lower than a 4 then you fail whereas with foundation you can get grades 1-5
Good luck!

You can do A level Science with combined Science - trilogy is just one exam board's name for combined Science, but you are unlikely to be able to do A level Sciences if you take Foundation Tier.

You need to justify why moving you to Higher would be a good idea - you've been put in Foundation as your school thinks this is your best chance of getting the best grade you can. If you want to take Higher Tier then you'd need to put some serious work in to do better so Higher tier is the best option for you.
Can you do combined higher instead? It’ll be equal to foundation trilogy, but less content to know. Friends were put on foundation trilogy and I Remember them taring their eyes out. Pester your teachers and get your parents in to put you on higher combined! See, people usually do badly in mocks but do really well in GCSEs and I think you’re one of them which is normal
How did your mock exams go btw?

Quick Reply

Latest