The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester or Salford University?

Is the university of Manchester a good university to study mental health nursing or Salford University?

Anyone out there who is doing degree on Mental health nursing?
(edited 4 years ago)
Idk about mental health nursing in particular, but manchester is generally considered to be better than salford, although i have heard Salford is meant to be pretty good for nursing. It is worth researching by looking through the websites and league tables.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Manchester is a far better University than Salford , the social life is much better at Manchester especially if your accommodation is on the Fallowfield campus and there are some really cheap accommodation options at the University of Manchester (Oak House is only £102 a week and it's known for the social life). The library / learning facilities are also very good and the campus is generally much nicer than Salford's.
Thank you guys. I am not looking to live away from home as its just a 40 min trek. It's more for doing the mental health nursing degree.
Original post by Wondering123
Thank you guys. I am not looking to live away from home as its just a 40 min trek. It's more for doing the mental health nursing degree.

Salford if generally meant to be a really good uni for all healthcare courses, I’ve applied for Physiotherapy and been offered a place there which is my first choice
I have been told not to do my mental health degree at university of Manchester because they put alot of preassure on and give no support. Is there anyone out there to help me decide which uni to choose plz. Uni of Manchester or Salford?
I have been told not to do my mental health degree at university of Manchester because they put alot of preassure on and give no support. Is there anyone out there to help me decide which uni to choose plz. Uni of Manchester or Salford?

Go to Manchester. It is a better uni.
Thanks. Is there anyone here who is doing their degree at the university of Manchester ( nursing or other) I've heard things like you are left at your own resources, you are not given any support and if you ask for help, they refuse to give it. Also if you fail 1st year they end it there and you find out late so you are unable to apply next year at any other university. I am in knots as I don't know which one to accept.

I know that your degree is how much ever work you put in and I intend to do my best but hearing peoples views about the university has made me nervous to make a decision.
Thanks. Is there anyone here who is doing their degree at the university of Manchester ( nursing or other) I've heard things like you are left at your own resources, you are not given any support and if you ask for help, they refuse to give it. Also if you fail 1st year they end it there and you find out late so you are unable to apply next year at any other university. I am in knots as I don't know which one to accept.

I know that your degree is how much ever work you put in and I intend to do my best but hearing peoples views about the university has made me nervous to make a decision.

You have to put in effort to get what you want. Manchester is a top uni, so it expects you to pull your weight. Don't turn it down.
i attend salford; please please please choose the Univeristy of Manchester. way more doors will open for you. and youll probably learn something. salford has easy modules; its somewhat terrible
Original post by Bangtanistan
i attend salford; please please please choose the Univeristy of Manchester. way more doors will open for you. and youll probably learn something. salford has easy modules; its somewhat terrible

Hi could I just ask the course you study at Salford uni pls? I don't think I would choose Salford uni if I wasn't applying for a healthcare course. As those are supposed to be good at Salford.
Is the university of Manchester a good university to study mental health nursing or Salford University?

Hiya @Wondering123,

Seems like you have a really tough decision to make! Both the University of Manchester and Salford University are really good! Ultimately, I had a similar problem when I was deciding where to study Physiotherapy. Do you pick based on status or not?

The most important thing you can do is look at the courses online and their modules. Make sure that they interest you, because learning something you find boring is the hardest part! I've always been told that employers for healthcare occupations don't pay attention to social standings of universities as much as other courses do. The most important thing for healthcare courses is that you're learning well (they are intense) and they provide you with opportunities to make you stand out for when you leave university!

One of the reasons I picked and love the University of Salford is due to the amount of support you get, especially in healthcare courses. My tutors are always available to help out and are so supportive, which has really helped me with my studies and keep my stress levels down!

I would really recommend looking at Student Satisfaction scores (NSS), so you can see how previous students rated your course at each university!

I hope this helped! Good luck with you application process, and remember to find the best course for you as you are the one doing it for 3 years!

Holly - Student Ambassador :smile:
For me personally, I will pick Salford. Manchester university being the second best uni in north west, they put so much pressure on their students to keep the standards high. It is a good thing thou, but if u are a mature student, you might struggle keeping up with school, and home commitments thereby impacting ones mental health wellbeing. I feel they are not giving student enough which is why there are high rate of students dropping out of the courses.
Reply 13

Hi, which one did you decide to attend? I am starting childrens nursing. Been offered Salford and university of manchester and can’t decide. Salford have offered jan 22 start but they offer less holidays 2 weeks at summer 7 in total however manchester offer 14 weeks all summer off which is fab for me and the kids as I have kids and live locally. But I cant decide which is best for nursing and placements etc. such a hard decision!
Original post by medimum
Hi, which one did you decide to attend? I am starting childrens nursing. Been offered Salford and university of manchester and can’t decide. Salford have offered jan 22 start but they offer less holidays 2 weeks at summer 7 in total however manchester offer 14 weeks all summer off which is fab for me and the kids as I have kids and live locally. But I cant decide which is best for nursing and placements etc. such a hard decision!

@medimum what about chatting to an actual student who is studying nursing at Salford? That could help. Contact our Unibuddies here.

Also come along to out open day this weekend to get a feel for the campus, meet tutors and get to ask the questions directly - from 9:30 to 15:00, book here to attend.

Clare

Student Ambassador
Original post by medimum

Hi
Ended up going to Uni of Manchester. Both are really good. U need to see which uni ranked more for the course.
Original post by medimum

Both are good but Salford is the best for children's nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending