The Student Room Group

A level psychology

Hi, i am in year 12 and one of the subjects i am studying at A levels is psychology.
The thing is, my teacher literally can't teach and she waffles on about random stuff during lesson times. So does anyone have any tips on how to teach yourself psychology?
Also, when it comes to exam questions, does anyone have tips on how to structure them or certain phrases that would help? I am usually good in essay writing- as in english language at GCSE and sociology i get top marks (alhamdulillah)- but when it comes to psychology exam questions I'm not as good.
Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Original post by N4F_12X4
Hi, i am in year 12 and one of the subjects i am studying at A levels is psychology.
The thing is, my teacher literally can't teach and she waffles on about random stuff during lesson times. So does anyone have any tips on how to teach yourself psychology?
Also, when it comes to exam questions, does anyone have tips on how to structure them or certain phrases that would help? I am usually good in essay writing- as in english language at GCSE and sociology i get top marks (alhamdulillah)- but when it comes to psychology exam questions I'm not as good.
Thank you.

i'm in the same situation as you i do bio chem and psychology in year 12 and my teacher just reads of the board 🤣😔i don't understand a thing
Reply 2
aha i know right. but the thing is, when I'm at home and go over some stuff and then i understand it but like, what is the teacher there for then?? andd there is only one psychology teacher😬
how are your other subjects going though?
Thank you.

Original post by btsarmyy
i'm in the same situation as you i do bio chem and psychology in year 12 and my teacher just reads of the board 🤣😔i don't understand a thing

Hi @N4F_12X4! and @btsarmyy! :hi:

I'm currently a year 13 student studying A-Level Psychology and am averaging A's on all my tests since year 12. I do AQA and I am not sure if it is the same if you are doing different exam boards, but I expect it to be quite similar.

:bubbles:Step 1:
You need to get a hold of your specification and textbook/revision guide. This will outline everything you need to know.

:bubbles:Step 2:
This part isn't necessary but will definitely help you get on track so you understand everything. Make a list of all the topics you are covering. Ask your teacher if you are in any doubt. Pick a topic to start off with. For example, if I were in your position, I would start off with Social Influence.

:bubbles:Step 3:
Figure out a technique you will use in order to learn the content. Personally, I use flash cards along with mind maps.
When learning/revising the content this is what I do:
1. Read over my flash cards for 5 minutes.
2. Do nothing for 5-10 minutes.
3. Write down everything I can remember after 5 minutes on a piece of paper.
4. Look over my flashcards again and write down everything in a different colour that I didn't remember.
5. Repeat this process until I am confident I remember everything on the flash cards. Sometimes, I find that some concepts I naturally remember which definitely makes life easier!

:bubbles:Step 4:
This is the part I hate. The dreaded evaluations. Learning these are the hardest part for me and where I lose marks so I would recommend you guys start memorising these as soon as you can!

This is the structure my teacher told us to follow:
P - Peel
E - Evidence
E - Explanation
L - Link

For example, in the chapter Social Influence, there is a page with paragraphs summarising the strengths and weaknesses of the topic. One of the paragraphs focusses on the weakness of Asch's study. Attached is a summary of how I have evaluated the study.
Point -> Blue
Is it a strength or a weakness? What is the paragraph arguing?
Remember, to start off your paragraph with:
One strength/weakness of...
Evidence -> Red
Is there any evidence to back up your point?
For example... or This is supported by...
Explanation -> Pink
What does this evidence show? Be careful not to explain your evidence by giving more evidence! This is not the point of the explanation.
Link -> Green
Summarise your paragraph. Be careful it is not the same as what you have said in your point.

:bubbles:Step 5:
Learning the evaluations...

Think of a trigger word/phrase that will help you remember each part of the PEEL paragraph. For example, for Asch's study...

P - Peel
One weakness of Asch’s study is that it took place in a period when conformity was high.
My trigger word would be 'conformity'.
E - Evidence
For example, a researcher only obtained one conforming response out of a total of 396 trials when a majority unanimous gave a wrong answer.
My trigger phrase would be 'one conforming response'.
E - Explanation
This happened due to historical events in the USA where America was going through McCarthyism.
My trigger word would be 'McCarthyism'
L - Link
In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid during that time period and could not be re-created.
My trigger word would be 'validity'. To impress the examiner you could possibly put 'lacks historical validity' to be more specific.

:bubbles:Step 6:
Exam-questions!!!!!

Look on your exam board for these!

A few resources... :work:
https://www.simplypsychology.org/a-level-psychology.html
https://www.all-about-psychology.com/a-level-psychology.html
UpLearn is also quite good. You could possibly ask your school if they can invest in it.

I hope this helped. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. :woohoo:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n

I'm currently a year 13 student studying A-Level Psychology and am averaging A's on all my tests since year 12. I do AQA and I am not sure if it is the same if you are doing different exam boards, but I expect it to be quite similar.

You need to get a hold of your specification and textbook/revision guide. This will outline everything you need to know.

This part isn't necessary but will definitely help you get on track so you understand everything. Make a list of all the topics you are covering. Ask your teacher if you are in any doubt. Pick a topic to start off with. For example, if I were in your position, I would start off with Social Influence.

Figure out a technique you will use in order to learn the content. Personally, I use flash cards along with mind maps.
4. Look over my flashcards again and write down everything in a different colour that I didn't remember.
5. Repeat this process until I am confident I remember everything on the flash cards. Sometimes, I find that some concepts I naturally remember which definitely makes life easier!

This is the part I hate. The dreaded evaluations. Learning these are the hardest part for me and where I lose marks so I would recommend you guys start memorising these as soon as you can!

P - Peel
E - Evidence
E - Explanation
L - Link

For example, in the chapter Social Influence, there is a page with paragraphs summarising the strengths and weaknesses of the topic. One of the paragraphs focusses on the weakness of Asch's study. Attached is a summary of how I have evaluated the study.
Point -> Blue
Evidence -> Red
Explanation -> Pink
What does this evidence show? Be careful not to explain your evidence by giving more evidence! This is not the point of the explanation.
Link -> Green
Summarise your paragraph. Be careful it is not the same as what you have said in your point.

Think of a trigger word/phrase that will help you remember each part of the PEEL paragraph. For example, for Asch's study...

P - Peel
One weakness of Asch’s study is that it took place in a period when conformity was high.
E - Evidence
For example, a researcher only obtained one conforming response out of a total of 396 trials when a majority unanimous gave a wrong answer.
E - Explanation
This happened due to historical events in the USA where America was going through McCarthyism.
L - Link
In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid during that time period and could not be re-created.
My trigger word would be 'validity'. To impress the examiner you could possibly put 'lacks historical validity' to be more specific.

Exam-questions!!!!!

UpLearn is also quite good. You could possibly ask your school if they can invest in it.

I hope this helped. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. :woohoo:

OMG🤯😱THATS WAS EXTREMLY HELPFUL!! i do the same method o f revising as u do for bio and chem , i just don't know how to do flash cards for psychology too , is there and resource u can give to e from which u write ur flack cardss.
aha i know right. but the thing is, when I'm at home and go over some stuff and then i understand it but like, what is the teacher there for then?? andd there is only one psychology teacher😬
how are your other subjects going though?

their going alot better
Original post by btsarmyy
OMG🤯😱THATS WAS EXTREMLY HELPFUL!! i do the same method o f revising as u do for bio and chem , i just don't know how to do flash cards for psychology too , is there and resource u can give to e from which u write ur flack cardss.

I'm glad you found that helpful. :biggrin:

I write my flashcards from information I find in the AQA Psychology textbook.
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n

P - Peel
E - Evidence
E - Explanation
L - Link

Point -> Blue
Evidence -> Red
Explanation -> Pink
Link -> Green

P - Peel
E - Evidence
E - Explanation
L - Link

Exam-questions!!!!!

thank youu, this was really helpful. i am going to use your method:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest