The Student Room Group

PhD student dating a lecturer from another department

Help?!

I am a mature PhD student at the age of 33, and I recently met a lecturer/researcher (aged 38) from another department on a night out. We have been on a date, which went really well, but neither of us have mentioned the awkward subject of student/lecturer relations yet. I know there are very strict rules about students dating lecturers, but we aren't in the same department, and never actually cross paths at the university. He has zero influence over my studies, but I was wondering if it would still be frowned down upon...?
Won’t your university publish rules? So they can be checked?
I would find it amusing if I as a very mature undergraduate could not date a lecturer at sane university but different subject (say I do law and him maths) if we are both single 40 somethings! (Though I am attached anyway)
So I’d check the rules and then he could ask if it’s okay. The rules are more to protect vulnerable 18 year olds, not older students.
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
Won’t your university publish rules? So they can be checked?
I would find it amusing if I as a very mature undergraduate could not date a lecturer at sane university but different subject (say I do law and him maths) if we are both single 40 somethings! (Though I am attached anyway)
So I’d check the rules and then he could ask if it’s okay. The rules are more to protect vulnerable 18 year olds, not older students.

Thank you. I did look at the document regarding relationships between students and lecturers, but there is nothing about postgraduate researchers dating lecturers. There seems to only be strict guidelines about lecturers and undergraduates, and between students and lecturers who are also working together.
So it seems OK then. You are of similar ages too.
Original post by Anonymous
Help?!

I am a mature PhD student at the age of 33, and I recently met a lecturer/researcher (aged 38) from another department on a night out. We have been on a date, which went really well, but neither of us have mentioned the awkward subject of student/lecturer relations yet. I know there are very strict rules about students dating lecturers, but we aren't in the same department, and never actually cross paths at the university. He has zero influence over my studies, but I was wondering if it would still be frowned down upon...?

I would imagine that as you aren't in the same department, he will not have any say in your reviews/assessments etc., and given your ages, I'm sure it would be fine. You might want to ask an impartial person at the university about it though, just to clarify - maybe your personal tutor if you have one.

Quick Reply

Latest