The Student Room Group

Who went to boarding school?

I’m really curious on what boarding school is like? We all watch tv shows and films about them but I’ve never actually spoken to anyone who’s been to one!

What was your experience of boarding school like?
How long were you at boarding school for? Are you still there?
Was it boys and girls or a same sex school?
How was your accommodation?

I’m just really curious on whether people enjoy it because some people say that it was a bad experience but others say they liked it!

Scroll to see replies

OMFG Boarding school.... After I watched the Nickelodeon show House of Anubis I wanted to go...

But I have watched loads of YouTube videos to confirm life at boarding school is kinda dead.
Original post by deadroseex
OMFG Boarding school.... After I watched the Nickelodeon show House of Anubis I wanted to go...

But I have watched loads of YouTube videos to confirm life at boarding school is kinda dead.

Me too! As a child I always wanted to go but then I watched vlogs about people who go there and it looked really strict and restricted?? I’m so curious if anyone enjoyed their time there haha
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Me too! As a child I always wanted to go but then I watched vlogs about people who go there and it looked really strict and restricted?? I’m so curious if anyone enjoyed their time there haha

In my old school, 3 of my teachers all went to a boarding school! Since it was a competing school, you would get kicked out. Phones were not allowed, not your own food literally it was dirty and disgusting but they pulled through apparently lmfaoo
I think it was religious that's why because they had some religious study think for 5 hours in the morning, then normal studies after that so it was harddd life loool
In my old school, 3 of my teachers all went to a boarding school! Since it was a competing school, you would get kicked out. Phones were not allowed, not your own food literally it was dirty and disgusting but they pulled through apparently lmfaoo
I think it was religious that's why because they had some religious study think for 5 hours in the morning, then normal studies after that so it was harddd life loool

Ah that sucks! I just wonder because you see all those private school videos and they boast about being at a boarding school so I was like ??? Is it actually good? Lmao
Ah that sucks! I just wonder because you see all those private school videos and they boast about being at a boarding school so I was like ??? Is it actually good? Lmao

My private school was awful! I haven't been in the same area in over 2 years but when people boast, the fact is some of the kids there are barely striving. There parents are working like 2 jobs, they have siblings, and live in cramped houses just for their kids to get a good education and get into a university that will be good for them! Even if some people have apple products and have expensive handbags, its is not the real reality for many kids. School trips, uniform, textbooks was all so pricy and I know parents were struggling but you can't do much.

But these girls, just didn't care. Their grades were lower than low, they messed around and I know some just couldn't careless...

It wasn't a boarding school though luckily! x
My private school was awful! I haven't been in the same area in over 2 years but when people boast, the fact is some of the kids there are barely striving. There parents are working like 2 jobs, they have siblings, and live in cramped houses just for their kids to get a good education and get into a university that will be good for them! Even if some people have apple products and have expensive handbags, its is not the real reality for many kids. School trips, uniform, textbooks was all so pricy and I know parents were struggling but you can't do much.

But these girls, just didn't care. Their grades were lower than low, they messed around and I know some just couldn't careless...

It wasn't a boarding school though luckily! x

Honestly! A friend of mine went to a private school and he brags about it but his best mate was literally struggling the whole time! They came out with worse grades than those of us who went to state schools and we were like??? What’s the point in paying thousands of pounds for education when we still came out with better grades in free education??
Honestly! A friend of mine went to a private school and he brags about it but his best mate was literally struggling the whole time! They came out with worse grades than those of us who went to state schools and we were like??? What’s the point in paying thousands of pounds for education when we still came out with better

Exactly, some private schools highest grades are like 7's or 8's and that is like the odd 20%.

If you look at us in state schools at least 20% get one or two grade 9's!
Exactly, some private schools highest grades are like 7's or 8's and that is like the odd 20%.

If you look at us in state schools at least 20% get one or two grade 9's!

Exactly! I know that certain private schools get amazing grades but there is only 1 where I live and they took the iGCSEs which were easier, and still came out with worse grades! We were shocked!
Exactly! I know that certain private schools get amazing grades but there is only 1 where I live and they took the iGCSEs which were easier, and still came out with worse grades! We were shocked!

Woah! I would have been embarrassed to be honest, especially doing iGCSE's. It isn't about the teachers to an extent tho, because in the 100% it comes down to students putting the work in. If you simply do not care, like some kids, then when you come out with bad grades it is sad on you, and it generally reflects over to the school.
Woah! I would have been embarrassed to be honest, especially doing iGCSE's. It isn't about the teachers to an extent tho, because in the 100% it comes down to students putting the work in. If you simply do not care, like some kids, then when you come out with bad grades it is sad on you, and it generally reflects over to the school.

Exactly! It was the way the bragged about their school and their money and all that, and still came out worse off than us! We just laughed because they would make fun of us for going to a state school so when we beat them, it was just hilarious!

You’re right, if the kids don’t put in the effort then it’s on them! I’m sure the teachers try their best but if a child doesn’t try, there’s not much they can do!
Exactly! It was the way the bragged about their school and their money and all that, and still came out worse off than us! We just laughed because they would make fun of us for going to a state school so when we beat them, it was just hilarious!

You’re right, if the kids don’t put in the effort then it’s on them! I’m sure the teachers try their best but if a child doesn’t try, there’s not much they can do!

Exactly because I am sure in state schools there are many well-off children. I can imagine, it must of being hilarious when the results got released!

However, most people own apple products, designer shoes, bags expensive jewelry they just do not flaunt it around. And none of these kids worked for it, their parents or their heritage got them that so they need to sit down honestly, it makes them look poor. lmfaooo
Exactly because I am sure in state schools there are many well-off children. I can imagine, it must of being hilarious when the results got released!

However, most people own apple products, designer shoes, bags expensive jewelry they just do not flaunt it around. And none of these kids worked for it, their parents or their heritage got them that so they need to sit down honestly, it makes them look poor. lmfaooo

Lmaooo true! I don’t mind people flaunting what they have if they’ve earned it! But a lot of people go to the bank of mummy and daddy and beg for designer clothes etc. I just think it’s sad! You can have these expensive things but still be humble! It’s a shame when people use their wealth as an excuse to try and be “better” than someone :/
i know people who go to private schools and dont brag lol
in fact ik guys who go to Eton, arguably one of the best schools, and I thought they went to a normal school until I asked them!
i feel like its only a very small percentage of 'wealthy' kids who brag....
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vix.xvi
i know people who go to private schools and dont brag lol
i feel like its only a very small percentage of 'wealthy' kids who brag....

yes that’s true! unfortunately there are a few people who brag about it which gives the stereotype. I know some really lovely people who went to private school!
yes that’s true! unfortunately there are a few people who brag about it which gives the stereotype. I know some really lovely people who went to private school!

yeah :smile:
Lmaooo true! I don’t mind people flaunting what they have if they’ve earned it! But a lot of people go to the bank of mummy and daddy and beg for designer clothes etc. I just think it’s sad! You can have these expensive things but still be humble! It’s a shame when people use their wealth as an excuse to try and be “better” than someone :/

I knew some girl and she basically always had £50-100 in her bag, and I found that weird. She then kept telling everyone, and saying how she had two phones but never brought them to school?

Then there was a humble girl, who had the same bag for two years because she didn't need one, and only carried £5 for emergencies.

And the fact is the humble girl was certainly more rich then the other one so, it just shows how pathetic it can be. If you earned it then fab, congrats if not then loool what are u tryna show? what your dad can afford?
My uncle went to one (not Eton), and I think he was damaged psychologically by the experience, probably was bullied, and has had mental health issues all of his life.
I knew some girl and she basically always had £50-100 in her bag, and I found that weird. She then kept telling everyone, and saying how she had two phones but never brought them to school?

Then there was a humble girl, who had the same bag for two years because she didn't need one, and only carried £5 for emergencies.

And the fact is the humble girl was certainly more rich then the other one so, it just shows how pathetic it can be. If you earned it then fab, congrats if not then loool what are u tryna show? what your dad can afford?

Exactly! I know some lovely people who went to private school and are wealthy! Like it really isn’t hard to be humble!
Original post by barnetlad
My uncle went to one (not Eton), and I think he was damaged psychologically by the experience, probably was bullied, and has had mental health issues all of his life.

I’ve heard many stories like that! It’s unfortunate really! That’s why I made the thread to see if these experiences were common!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending