The Student Room Group

Help With Writing A Personal Statement for Pharmacy/Pharmacology/science courses

Hi everyone
I'm just looking for some help with writing my personal statement. Now, I have one ready, however, the personal statement I wrote was for medicine. I was planning on applying for medicine however due to my grades I wasn't able to, hence the change of courses.

But to the point, I was wondering what I could include to my medicine personal statement that would make it a little less specific to medicine and more 'general' for pharmacology/pharmacy and any other science courses I choose to apply to. My medicine statement talks about how my own medical issues and family member's issues first inspired me, then through more research into medicine and seeing other medical issues arise, it has amplified my interest into medicine. I then go into some online work experience I maintained for medicine, is there anything I could say from the medical work experience that would be relevant for pharmacy/pharmacology and science courses in general?

I appreciate any help given :smile:
Reply 1
Can you clarify whether you're still applying to any Medicine courses at all or only Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Bioscience courses? Also a little side note- make sure you're 100% sure of the differences between Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
Reply 2
Yeah actually I hadn't considered that, good point
Original post by KNW
Can you clarify whether you're still applying to any Medicine courses at all or only Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Bioscience courses? Also a little side note- make sure you're 100% sure of the differences between Pharmacy and Pharmacology.

Hi! So basically me applying this year is almost a Plan B. My ultimate goal is to hopefully get the grades needed for medicine on results day, then take a gap year, do the entrance exams and anything else etc, then apply for medicine the following cycle. So no I'm not applying this year (medicine deadline has gone anyway) but it is a possibility I will if I get the grades on results day.

And i will make sure to! :smile:
Thank you very much!
Yep, that's exactly why I'm going about this the way I am. I'm confident I'm able to attain the grades needed, I just messed up last year and already starting Year 13 I and my teachers have seen drastic improvement proving that I could very well attain the grades either as CAGs if exams were to be cancelled or if I were to take the exams.
Actually I haven't, and the only reason I didn't was due to the fact that I got my predicted grades before the testing season. I just realised that if I don't have the AAA/A*AA grades I needed, there was no point realistically of doing the UCAT and then applying, since more than likely I would be rejected based off the fact that I in no way met the grade requirements, therefore my UCAT wouldn't really matter since I would have been rejected from not meeting the grade requirements alone.
I was definitely considering to take it anyway, though I was never even told or even knew of that as a possibility either since I was told by my teacher that I shouldn't apply as a result of my predicted grades.

And thank you.
Yeah, I am quite disappointed now, not with NOT applying but for the lack of information my teachers gave me. I think you've helped me more than my teachers have since January, so thank you :smile:
Thank you very much, I hope to be here next year :smile:
A PS for pharmacy should have a similar structure to a medicine PS, but obviously focused on the role of a pharmacist. So you can apply this guidance, but focus on pharamacy: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Advice_for_People_Writing_their_Medicine_Personal_Statements

Pharmacology is an academic degree, so see the more generic PS guidance here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending