The Student Room Group

Economics chances of offer

Want to apply for economics at Warwick and UCL but I’ve heard they like 4 A-levels with economics and further maths (don’t do either but take maths)

AS grades: AAA
Predicted:A*AA (may be changed to A*A*A)
GCSE: 8A*,9,7
I think my personal statement is fairly average though

Applying to: Nottingham, Bristol, York
Want to apply to: UCL, Warwick, Bath
What are my chances of getting an offer for these unis?

Scroll to see replies

Is your predicted A* for Maths?
I think that out of UCL, Warwick & Bath, you probably have the best chance of getting an offer from Bath.
Most people who applied to Oxbridge for Economics are predicted around A*A*A*A to A*A*A*A*, and they'll have taken both Economics & Further Mathematics. They tend to apply to either Cambridge/Oxford, then LSE, UCL, Warwick. Basically every Oxbridge Economics applicant I've seen has done this. Hence, competition for said universities is likely to be very intense. Though I can't speak for sure: imagine there are 2 applicants (you, and another student) who have Personal Statements of equal strength but the other applicant takes Econ & FM. I'd say they'd be the one who gets the offer.
Reply 2
Original post by confuzzledteen
Is your predicted A* for Maths?
I think that out of UCL, Warwick & Bath, you probably have the best chance of getting an offer from Bath.
Most people who applied to Oxbridge for Economics are predicted around A*A*A*A to A*A*A*A*, and they'll have taken both Economics & Further Mathematics. They tend to apply to either Cambridge/Oxford, then LSE, UCL, Warwick. Basically every Oxbridge Economics applicant I've seen has done this. Hence, competition for said universities is likely to be very intense. Though I can't speak for sure: imagine there are 2 applicants (you, and another student) who have Personal Statements of equal strength but the other applicant takes Econ & FM. I'd say they'd be the one who gets the offer.

No it’s for biology haha but my maths teacher said she’ll change predicted to an A* if I need it
Original post by Laurence00
No it’s for biology haha but my maths teacher said she’ll change predicted to an A* if I need it

Ahh yeah, sadly A* in Mathematics is super crucial for top universities for Economics ;/ I'd say try to convince her to change it/ prove to her that you're capable of an A* as having it will vastly increase your chances of getting an offer xx

Btw, good job on getting an A* predicted for Bio! Loads of people in my year (who applied for Medicine, hence have already sent off their UCAS Application) only managed to be predicted an A as they said it's super tough.
Reply 4
Ahh yeah, sadly A* in Mathematics is super crucial for top universities for Economics ;/ I'd say try to convince her to change it/ prove to her that you're capable of an A* as having it will vastly increase your chances of getting an offer xx

Would I still have a chance of getting into Bristol or Nottingham if I manage to get an a star predicted for maths?
Would I still have a chance of getting into Bristol or Nottingham if I manage to get an a star predicted for maths?

Yeah, if you get the A* predicted for Maths (and have a good PS), I'm fairly confident that you'll be able to get an offer from those two x
Reply 6
Yeah, if you get the A* predicted for Maths (and have a good PS), I'm fairly confident that you'll be able to get an offer from those two x

Thank you for the help haha! Are you applying for economics as well? And also do you think KCL would be easier than bath to get an offer. Ive heard loads of people saying they’re just as strict with grades and subjects as oxbridge, UCL etc.
Thank you for the help haha! Are you applying for economics as well? And also do you think KCL would be easier than bath to get an offer. Ive heard loads of people saying they’re just as strict with grades and subjects as oxbridge, UCL etc.

Yup, I've applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath. I've spent loads of time over the past few weeks following threads for Economics, hence why I know that so many Oxbridge applicants have applied to the same group of universities (like I mentioned above).
My biggest worry atm, is that I'm predicted an A for Further Maths whilst everyone else seems to be predicted an A* but oh well lol, just have to keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best at this point.
And I don't know actually,, Bath ranks higher than KCL on the league tables for Economics, and I haven't seen that many people apply to KCL for Economics (on TSR). But honestly, if you get your A for Maths boosted to an A*, you'd be applying with A*A*A so I'd say you stand a pretty good chance at getting into Bath.
Reply 8
Yup, I've applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Bath. I've spent loads of time over the past few weeks following threads for Economics, hence why I know that so many Oxbridge applicants have applied to the same group of universities (like I mentioned above).
My biggest worry atm, is that I'm predicted an A for Further Maths whilst everyone else seems to be predicted an A* but oh well lol, just have to keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best at this point.
And I don't know actually,, Bath ranks higher than KCL on the league tables for Economics, and I haven't seen that many people apply to KCL for Economics (on TSR). But honestly, if you get your A for Maths boosted to an A*, you'd be applying with A*A*A so I'd say you stand a pretty good chance at getting into Bath.

What’s your top choice atm? And good luck with your offers! I’m sure you’ll be fine, and anyways they’re all top universities regardless. Regarding kcl I think they just started their economics course in 2017 or 2018 so it’s relatively new however they just jumped 31 places in the rankings for economics in the UK last year. Idk I just really want to study in London haha
Reply 9
At GCSE: 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5 (5s and 6 were in PE, tech, R.E)A level predicted : A* Maths, A Physics , A HistoryApplying to Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, not sure of 5th yetWhat are my chances of getting Economics offer from my first three uni's?Appreciate any help.
What’s your top choice atm? And good luck with your offers! I’m sure you’ll be fine, and anyways they’re all top universities regardless. Regarding kcl I think they just started their economics course in 2017 or 2018 so it’s relatively new however they just jumped 31 places in the rankings for economics in the UK last year. Idk I just really want to study in London haha

Definitely Cambridge x Then LSE, closely followed by UCL. Thank you - best of luck with yours as well! :smile:
Dang 31, they're definitely jumping! Tbh they're a really prestigious university & highly regarded in the UK, so they're definitely a good place to apply to
'

Original post by ASL10
At GCSE: 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5 (5s and 6 were in PE, tech, R.E)A level predicted : A* Maths, A Physics , A HistoryApplying to Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, not sure of 5th yetWhat are my chances of getting Economics offer from my first three uni's?Appreciate any help.

As you meet the entry requirements for all of them, we can't really say for sure. Though for Warwick, not having FM might be disadvantageous
As someone who knows so many people who applied to economics last year including myself this is how it works. If you have predicted grades that would fit the entry requirements you will 99% get an offer from anywhere except Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and then sometimes St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Durham seemed a bit hit and miss too. I’m currently at Bristol and everyone who posted here has better stats than me, also got an offer from notts and Bath is the same. Warwick, Cambridge and LSE all definitely prefer FM but I’ve seen someone get into Warwick without it. Goodluck
As a student who studies both FM and econ , I've been told by teachers that this combination is preferred by the upper tier universities.

However A*A*A with an A* in maths would drastically increase your odds if you don't have Further Maths.

As somebody else posted , most oxbridge applicants are also applying to UCL as our third option so competition is fierce
Original post by JGoosey2002
As someone who knows so many people who applied to economics last year including myself this is how it works. If you have predicted grades that would fit the entry requirements you will 99% get an offer from anywhere except Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and then sometimes St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Durham seemed a bit hit and miss too. I’m currently at Bristol and everyone who posted here has better stats than me, also got an offer from notts and Bath is the same. Warwick, Cambridge and LSE all definitely prefer FM but I’ve seen someone get into Warwick without it. Goodluck

Hey thanks for the reply, how are you finding econ at Bristol? And what was your offer? I think Bristol is one of my top choices atm because of the good work/social balance. And how lenient are they with missing offered grades on results day?
I'm personally applying to Cambridge , LSE , UCL , Warwick and Exeter

With A*A*AA (Maths , FM , Econ and Geography)
GCSE's : 999998888B

I'm fairly optimistic in getting 3-4 offers.
Original post by JGoosey2002

Thank you for the insight! So on what basis would you say that Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick & LSE decide who to give offers to?
Do you reckon that having an A for FM rather than an A* would be disadvantageous to a large extent?
Original post by SchmuckOff
I'm personally applying to Cambridge , LSE , UCL , Warwick and Exeter

With A*A*AA (Maths , FM , Econ and Geography)
GCSE's : 999998888B

I'm fairly optimistic in getting 3-4 offers.

Pretty much the same stats as you, though I have an A* for Econ & Chem but an A for FM.
Guessing that you're considering LSE/Cambridge as the two hardest ye? Which college did you apply to btw x
Pretty much the same stats as you, though I have an A* for Econ & Chem but an A for FM.
Guessing that you're considering LSE/Cambridge as the two hardest ye? Which college did you apply to btw x

Cambridge is the hardest , LSE and then to a lesser extent Warwick . UCL and Exeter should be aight.

I applied to Claire
The issue is , I know 30 applicants with A*A*AA - A*A*A*A* applying to UCL as a 'safer' option
Competition is tough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending