The Student Room Group

Gcse chemistry question

Hi,

I would be really grateful if someone can help me with this question, it's worth 2 marks.

Here is the question and thanks:

Hydrochloric acid is an ionic compound.
Describe how a hydrogen atom and a chlorine atom interact to form a hydrogen ion, H^+, and a chloride ion, Cl^-

Would really appreciated what I need to write and what needs to be included.
Reply 1
The hydrogen atom transfers the single electron in its outer shell to the chlorine atom. The chlorine atom now has an extra electron and a full outer shell so it becomes a chlorine ion (Cl-). The hydrogen atom now has one less electron, and a full outer shell, so it becomes a hydrogen ion (H+)
Reply 2
Original post by df1
The hydrogen atom transfers the single electron in its outer shell to the chlorine atom. The chlorine atom now has an extra electron and a full outer shell so it becomes a chlorine ion (Cl-). The hydrogen atom now has one less electron, and a full outer shell, so it becomes a hydrogen ion (H+)

Thank you so much for taking the time do help me. I really do appreciate it. Thanks! Do I not need to mention ionic or covalent bonding as this is what I thought the question was asking.
Reply 3
Also what would the half equation be? Would it be He^+ + Cl^- = H-
I'm really confused with the half equation
Original post by Happs_2705
Thank you so much for taking the time do help me. I really do appreciate it. Thanks! Do I not need to mention ionic or covalent bonding as this is what I thought the question was asking.

Yh I think u do need to mention the term 'covalent bond' somewhere but apart from that the above answer is great x
half equations are when u take each thing and talk abt how it gains/loses electrons
e.g. H^+ - e^- -> H^2+
and Cl^- + e^- -> Cl^2-
then tlk abt whether its an oxidation or reduction equation
i think thats it cuz im doing alevel chem rn but i had 6months off thanks to covid so i nvr took the exams aha x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by M_Zara
half equations are when u take each thing and talk abt how it gains/loses electrons
e.g. H^+ - e^- -> H
and Cl^- + e^- -> Cl^2-
then tlk abt whether its an oxidation or reduction equation
i think thats it cuz im doing alevel chem rn but i had 6months off thanks to covid so i nvr took the exams aha x

Thanks so much! Sorry your exams got cancelled sure you would've aced em.
Thanks so much! Sorry your exams got cancelled sure you would've aced em.

aha np lol but i edited it so check the new version x
also nahh i tanked the mocks loool but that was my own fault cuz i was having problems outta schl tbh
Reply 8
Original post by M_Zara
aha np lol but i edited it so check the new version x
also nahh i tanked the mocks loool but that was my own fault cuz i was having problems outta schl tbh

Thanks! Don't blame yourself, home life and personal life should come before school. At least you're on A level and chemistry A level seems like a hard course so well done. Do we need to write both half equations?
Reply 9
The hydrogen atom loses the electron to become a hydrogen ion, (oxidation) and the chlorine atom gains the electron to become a chloride ion (reduction), the hydrogen has transferred its electron to the chlorine. The question doesn’t say is this is hydrochloric acid or hydrogen chloride has so it could be ionic or covalent bonding.
Thanks! Don't blame yourself, home life and personal life should come before school. At least you're on A level and chemistry A level seems like a hard course so well done. Do we need to write both half equations?

aha thanks n i think so lol
heres a ss from my cgp book on it if u want x
It says hydrochloric acids. Thanks so much
Original post by M_Zara
aha thanks n i think so lol
heres a ss from my cgp book on it if u want x

Thanks. This is sooooooooo helpful. Really appreciate it
Thanks. This is sooooooooo helpful. Really appreciate it

aha np x glad i cld help lol
im acc doing my alevel physics core practical write up rn - its my first time doing it n im getting assessed on it n we have to do it straight in the book or its 'cheating' ughhhh

edit: awww ty for the rep aha x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by M_Zara
aha np x glad i cld help lol
im acc doing my alevel physics core practical write up rn - its my first time doing it n im getting assessed on it n we have to do it straight in the book or its 'cheating' ughhhh

Typing it would've been easier. I have practical reviews. Good luck!
Typing it would've been easier. I have practical reviews. Good luck!

yh ik but our exam board doesnt let us unless we need to cuz it looks suspicious if everythings perfect - they want us to make mistakes apparently cuz it proves we're learning loool
Original post by M_Zara
yh ik but our exam board doesnt let us unless we need to cuz it looks suspicious if everythings perfect - they want us to make mistakes apparently cuz it proves we're learning loool

I've never heard that before. What exam board?
I've never heard that before. What exam board?

Edexcel
but we do things very differently from gcses at alevels - like teachers dont just watch u we have to write everything up in a special lab book n the method n our analysis on everything n all of that lol
im tryna draw the graphs rn but i havent drawn graphs since march loooooool
(im okay tho dww aha x)

Quick Reply

Latest