The Student Room Group

public speaking

would any of you be interested in getting a group of people together who aren't confident with public speaking and talking infront of them each week to improve that skill? as I think it will help if we are all in the same boat and will help us improve
Online?
no in person if enough people want to do it, I'll find a community hall we can use
Original post by surinaadhikari
no in person if enough people want to do it, I'll find a community hall we can use

You realise this country is massive right?
yes but I'm not sure if many people would be into this as I can't see anything like this done before
yes but I'm not sure if many people would be into this as I can't see anything like this done before

There are probably debating societies around you. What city do you live near/in?
Reply 6

Who is going to pay for the hire of the hall and, depending where you are, coronavirus is going to put massive restrictions on this. You are better setting something up at your school/college/uni and getting proper feedback from someone with experience in this. If people are poor at public speaking, how would they know what is being done incorrectly?
A stranger on the internet specifically looking for teenagers who are not confident to come and meet them in a random community hall - what could possibly be wrong with this?
Original post by black tea
A stranger on the internet specifically looking for teenagers who are not confident to come and meet them in a random community hall - what could possibly be wrong with this?

yeah okay a bit spooky
Original post by Surnia
Who is going to pay for the hire of the hall and, depending where you are, coronavirus is going to put massive restrictions on this. You are better setting something up at your school/college/uni and getting proper feedback from someone with experience in this. If people are poor at public speaking, how would they know what is being done incorrectly?

news flash I don't need your attitude. I would've undertaken all that. i don't go to college anymore which is why I want to set this up. and it's very obvious to notice when someone has gotten better at public speaking , would you not notice it?
Reply 10
news flash I don't need your attitude. I would've undertaken all that. i don't go to college anymore which is why I want to set this up. and it's very obvious to notice when someone has gotten better at public speaking , would you not notice it?

This is why I'm asking the questions, and if you can't accept comment on here, how will you cope with peer review for public speaking, which is what you are suggesting? I would notice improvements, but then I've had professional advice and done public speaking competitively and on a very regular basis in my job, but that also means I could provide constructive criticism about how people can improve.

Again, how is the cost of room hire covered and how does it work during a pandemic?
Original post by Surnia
This is why I'm asking the questions, and if you can't accept comment on here, how will you cope with peer review for public speaking, which is what you are suggesting? I would notice improvements, but then I've had professional advice and done public speaking competitively and on a very regular basis in my job, but that also means I could provide constructive criticism about how people can improve.

Again, how is the cost of room hire covered and how does it work during a pandemic?

I will pay for the cost of the room myself if enough people want to join and we will start it off with maximum of 6 people per session
Original post by Surnia

could have more than one group running and eventually maybe get people to pay a fee of a fiver to cover the room
could have more than one group running and eventually maybe get people to pay a fee of a fiver to cover the room

£5 to sit in a room with other amateurs?
Original post by Vapordave
£5 to sit in a room with other amateurs?

you may not like it but I know plenty of people who do so spend time looking at stuff you do like please
Reply 15

If I was paying a fee I'd expect the session to be run by someone with proper experience of public speaking and the ability to convey that information to others.

You'd need to plan how many weeks the sessions will run for, what topics will be covered, will you include presentations and the use of visual aids? Have you ever done any lesson planning or tutoring?

I admire what you are trying to do, but it needs a lot more consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending