The Student Room Group

Is it dumb to only apply for remote jobs?

So I've been looking for a job the past few weeks but I've only been applying for remote jobs. I've had an office job before and found it quite boring, I hated having to stay in the office even after getting all my work done for the day. I've also had a very social job but found it overwhelming since I'm not an outgoing person so a remote job sounds pretty ideal for me.

I haven't had much luck though, a couple online interviews and never heard back from them. Am I being unrealistic just applying for remote jobs or should I stick with it?
Depends how badly you need a job. You're making things harder for yourself but if you can afford to be unemployed for longer then you can afford to be fussy.
My worry would be that most employers would prefer remote roles to go to established and trusted staff over newbies, the same vacancies you see advertised will v likely also be available internally in these companies.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
My worry would be that most employers would prefer remote roles to go to established and trusted staff over newbies, the same vacancies you see advertised will v likely also be available internally in these companies.

I had an office job for a year, does that count?
Original post by peep90
I had an office job for a year, does that count?

No that's general employment experience. I mean they might want relatively unsupervised remote roles to go to people that already work for their company where there's a bit of existing trust/training.

That's just my opinion tbf, employer requirements will vary but I suspect internal applicants would often have an advantage.
Reply 5
Original post by peep90
So I've been looking for a job the past few weeks but I've only been applying for remote jobs. I've had an office job before and found it quite boring, I hated having to stay in the office even after getting all my work done for the day. I've also had a very social job but found it overwhelming since I'm not an outgoing person so a remote job sounds pretty ideal for me.

I haven't had much luck though, a couple online interviews and never heard back from them. Am I being unrealistic just applying for remote jobs or should I stick with it?

What do you mean by remote jobs?

What do you have in the way of qualifications?
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
What do you mean by remote jobs?

What do you have in the way of qualifications?

Work from home jobs.

Sociology degree, 1 year entry level data analysis experience and odd summer jobs in customer services.
Reply 7
Original post by peep90
Work from home jobs.

Sociology degree, 1 year entry level data analysis experience and odd summer jobs in customer services.

I don't think that a job working from home is a good thing early on in your career. I think that you could find yourself very isolated and struggling financially. A high percentage of the jobs offered to you would be minimum wage jobs.

I do know some people who are working from home and who are earning high salaries, that is true, but they are working from home because of the current situation and they have two or three decades of experience in their fields.

Have you considered doing something really different like joining the Royal Navy as an Officer?
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
I don't think that a job working from home is a good thing early on in your career. I think that you could find yourself very isolated and struggling financially. A high percentage of the jobs offered to you would be minimum wage jobs.

I do know some people who are working from home and who are earning high salaries, that is true, but they are working from home because of the current situation and they have two or three decades of experience in their fields.

Have you considered doing something really different like joining the Royal Navy as an Officer?

Okay, I guess I should start applying for more non-remote jobs then.

I was thinking of applying for some army jobs but don't like the mandatory training like a soilder part before actually doing the work I'm interested in.
Reply 9
I would think that it's the fact that you're applying in the middle of pandemic that is why you're not getting the jobs rather than the fact that they're remote. So many people have lost jobs so everyone are trying to apply for everything and anything. It's just a really difficult time for job-hunting at the moment
Reply 10
Original post by Moana92
I would think that it's the fact that you're applying in the middle of pandemic that is why you're not getting the jobs rather than the fact that they're remote. So many people have lost jobs so everyone are trying to apply for everything and anything. It's just a really difficult time for job-hunting at the moment

Yeah, it's a really depressing time, obviously.
Reply 11
What particular role are you looking for? Entry level remote jobs are non-existent for particular sectors, it's mainly tech that does them. There's barely any remote jobs, the few entry level available seem to demand a lot of experience as they're not capable of training people remotely nor would trust new hires. Due to current situation and lots of jobs disappearing, it's you definitely need to apply to non remote for a role you like.
Reply 12
Original post by kkboyk
What particular role are you looking for? Entry level remote jobs are non-existent for particular sectors, it's mainly tech that does them. There's barely any remote jobs, the few entry level available seem to demand a lot of experience as they're not capable of training people remotely nor would trust new hires. Due to current situation and lots of jobs disappearing, it's you definitely need to apply to non remote for a role you like.

Admin type jobs. I'm going to start expanding my search and apply for non-remote jobs too (even though office jobs are painfully boring).
(edited 3 years ago)
I have asked a few companies for work experience recently and because of covid they aren't doing it, this wouldn't be remote. In my field of study you would have to be established to do remote plus as its construction, involves site visits.

There is jobs around in retail, but in my field grad jobs are quite few and far between, and require at least a year of experience.
Reply 14
Original post by peep90
Admin type jobs. I'm going to start expanding my search and apply for non-remote jobs too (even though office jobs are painfully boring).

What would your ideal job be?
Reply 15
Original post by Kerzen
What would your ideal job be?

I guess something related to the public sector like social work, prison reform or healthcare but administration type stuff (and even better if I could work from home).

I was thinking of doing a tech related online course to gain new skills and so in the future getting a remote job that pays well could hopefully become more of a reality but I feel kind of lost when it comes to what course I should actually do. Plus, I'm not very confident with numbers, got a B in GCSE maths and that's about it.
Reply 16
Original post by peep90
I guess something related to the public sector like social work, prison reform or healthcare but administration type stuff (and even better if I could work from home).

I was thinking of doing a tech related online course to gain new skills and so in the future getting a remote job that pays well could hopefully become more of a reality but I feel kind of lost when it comes to what course I should actually do. Plus, I'm not very confident with numbers, got a B in GCSE maths and that's about it.

Is there a particular reason why you want so very much to work from home? Do you live on your own?
If you're desperate for a job, diversify your applications, but if you're set on this - keep trying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending