The Student Room Group

No notess

Heyyy,

Has any one got grade 9s in science igcse/gcse without making notes at all? How did you do it?
Original post by Ileenileen
Heyyy,

Has any one got grade 9s in science igcse/gcse without making notes at all? How did you do it?

You have to make notes when you're in lessons learning the content, unless you just sit there listening the whole time. I'm not sure it's possible to learn a subject without making any notes.
In class: take notes
At home: don’t take notes

Why are you taking notes/highlighting if the textbook has already done it for you?
Notes are essential, but the trick is condensing them.

I like to condense them in such a way where I have to connect the dots to understand what I’ve written, this way I’m actively learning instead of passively reading.

That way an entire process like synaptic transmission can be shortened into a few bullet points and I can work out what I’ve written from memory and the incomplete sentences too.

After that I create my own practice questions and do them until they’re all correct.

This is a guaranteed way to succeed in exams, if only more people did it.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Notes are essential, but the trick is condensing them.

I like to condense them in such a way where I have to connect the dots to understand what I’ve written, this way I’m actively learning instead of passively reading.

That way an entire process like synaptic transmission can be shortened into a few bullet points and I can work out what I’ve written from memory and the incomplete sentences too.

After that I create my own practice questions and do them until they’re all correct.

This is a guaranteed way to succeed in exams, if only more people did it.

this is really interesting but i'm afraid I don't quite get it. please may you share an example? x
Heyyy,

Heyy, I am in year 11. I am predicted 8s/9s in science and I have never made notes for it. Personally, I use the cgp revision guides to get a basic understanding of the topics and then use the main textbook to learn the content in much more depth and detail.
After learning all the content, I do lots and lots of practice papers-you can find loads on PMT and Maths made easy. Without learning the content and understanding the topics, it's pretty hard to get 9s but it all depends on how you learn.
Original post by isobeln
this is really interesting but i'm afraid I don't quite get it. please may you share an example? x

Sure.

Let’s say you’re learning a biological explanation and the textbook offers a whole paragraph to explain it.

What you want to do here is jot down the process in a few bullet points and leave out filler words like ‘so’, ‘then’, ‘and’ etc, you can use symbols instead if you want.

The point is to condense everything in the textbook into bite size notes.

After you think you’ve learnt the process create specific questions on it and answer them.

Hope that makes it clear.
Original post by foreverrocking
Heyy, I am in year 11. I am predicted 8s/9s in science and I have never made notes for it. Personally, I use the cgp revision guides to get a basic understanding of the topics and then use the main textbook to learn the content in much more depth and detail.
After learning all the content, I do lots and lots of practice papers-you can find loads on PMT and Maths made easy. Without learning the content and understanding the topics, it's pretty hard to get 9s but it all depends on how you learn.

Thank you!!! By the way, do you mean you just read the textbook for understanding?
Thank you!!! By the way, do you mean you just read the textbook for understanding?

Yh and watch loads of free science lesson and asking teachers for help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending