The Student Room Group

AO4 for Mitch — A Streetcar Named Desire

Can anyone think of wider reading relating to Mitch & his animalistic & gauche character? Seriously struggling!
Another of Williams’ plays, ‘The Glass Menagerie’ is pretty dandy

For instance, sort of linking to Mitch’s imagery of a trapped “dancing bear” in scene 3

"All pretty girls are a trap, a pretty trap, and men expect them to be."

Blanche traps Mitch with her beautiful guise, however it is later penetrated and abolished by Mitch and Stanley, who see through the “pretty trap”, rendering it as useless as Blanche in the final scene.
Original post by dumplingdawg
Another of Williams’ plays, ‘The Glass Menagerie’ is pretty dandy

For instance, sort of linking to Mitch’s imagery of a trapped “dancing bear” in scene 3

"All pretty girls are a trap, a pretty trap, and men expect them to be."

Blanche traps Mitch with her beautiful guise, however it is later penetrated and abolished by Mitch and Stanley, who see through the “pretty trap”, rendering it as useless as Blanche in the final scene.

YOU STAR! Thank you!
What exam board are you with? I've not heard of anyone having to do this before, but I really love Streetcar so I can try to put some stuff together for you maybe.
Original post by ashtolga23
What exam board are you with? I've not heard of anyone having to do this before, but I really love Streetcar so I can try to put some stuff together for you maybe.

AQA!
Original post by العبقري
AQA!

Okay so I think I've found a resource for the paper you'll be talking about and he's an excerpt from it:

AO4 Explore connections across literary texts
Focus might be on:
typical dramatic representations of the American Dream in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of contrasting ideals, norms and values in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of power in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of the relationship between the individual and wider society
in modern literature

The specific question referred to the American Dream, but there's another example concerning gender, power, patriarchy, etc. The resource I was talking about has information on 'A Streetcar Named Desire' on page 23-26 of 38.

I'm curious though, do you have to mention specific dramas? I don't do AQA so forgive my ignorance but the word "typical" to me suggests that it's talking about how the theme appears in general in different plays. I'm just a little lost as I think my understanding of AO4 may be different; have you been given advice on this? Usually I'm told what I should be making connections between, but I do Edexcel.
Okay so I think I've found a resource for the paper you'll be talking about and he's an excerpt from it:

AO4 Explore connections across literary texts
Focus might be on:
typical dramatic representations of the American Dream in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of contrasting ideals, norms and values in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of power in modern literature
typical dramatic representations of the relationship between the individual and wider society
in modern literature

The specific question referred to the American Dream, but there's another example concerning gender, power, patriarchy, etc. The resource I was talking about has information on 'A Streetcar Named Desire' on page 23-26 of 38.

I'm curious though, do you have to mention specific dramas? I don't do AQA so forgive my ignorance but the word "typical" to me suggests that it's talking about how the theme appears in general in different plays. I'm just a little lost as I think my understanding of AO4 may be different; have you been given advice on this? Usually I'm told what I should be making connections between, but I do Edexcel.

Thank you for this. So far, we've been told to look at other works of Williams but I believe it's free reign as long as they are not GCSE texts :smile:
Original post by العبقري
Thank you for this. So far, we've been told to look at other works of Williams but I believe it's free reign as long as they are not GCSE texts :smile:

Ah okay, that's fair enough. I really love Williams tbh, but I think my favourite aside from Streetcar is 'The Glass Menagerie'; it's quite popular and semi-autobiographical.
Ah okay, that's fair enough. I really love Williams tbh, but I think my favourite aside from Streetcar is 'The Glass Menagerie'; it's quite popular and semi-autobiographical.

That's definitely on my TBR for this half-term holiday, currently only read Streetcar & Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending