The Student Room Group

What subjects do i need to for engineering or design in University

First of all thanks to everyone that will reply to my question. I know that i should pick maths and physics to be able to pick engineering or design in university but do you have any recommendations as a third or fourth subject to pick to be able achieve the subject i want in university.
Maths, Physics, Further Maths, DT
Original post by IReallyDoNotKnow
Maths, Physics, Further Maths, DT

What is DT
Original post by Emir muftuoglu
What is DT

Design Technology (Product Design)
maths and physics are highly recommended

nice to haves are further maths, DT and perhaps chemistry
Reply 6
Original post by MalcolmX
maths and physics are highly recommended

nice to haves are further maths, DT and perhaps chemistry

would maths physics and chemistry be a good idea if i wanted to go into engineering?
Bristol - Mech Eng - Mathematics and any one of Physics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics or Computer Science
Cardiff Met - Foundation Engineering - at least two of Mathematics, Physics or a Technology subject
Liverpool - Aerospace - subjects must include Mathematics and a second science (Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Physics and Statistics)
Original post by Emir muftuoglu
First of all thanks to everyone that will reply to my question. I know that i should pick maths and physics to be able to pick engineering or design in university but do you have any recommendations as a third or fourth subject to pick to be able achieve the subject i want in university.

Hey @Emir muftuoglu ! And thanks @McGinger :^_^:

Yep, for us you're right in prioritising Maths and Physics. It depends what type of Engineering you're interested in what you might want to do with your third pick. For example, if you're interested in Biomedical Engineering Biology could be useful, or Chemical Engineering Chemistry would be useful. If it's something like Mechanical Engineering, you're ticking the main boxes we look for with Maths and Physics, so your third subject could be a number of different things. Previous applicants have had subjects like languages, other sciences or design classes for example.

If you decide to pursue a Design based Engineering discipline, you may want to think about art-based classes which will support your application. We offer degrees in our Design Manufacturing and Engineering Management department, where it could be good for them to see Art, Product/Graphic design for example. These aren't necessary requirements, but could support your application and are good at giving you a bit of insight in to what your degree entails.

Generally our conditional offers are made within the range of AAB - BBB.

Hope this helps!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest