The Student Room Group

What is the best contraceptive pill to reduce acne?

I started taking the mini pill (Cerelle/Degesterol) last year and since then, I keep getting acne around my cheek and jaw. It is very mild acne so other people can't see it, but I can up close in the mirror. I apply Benzol Peroxide gel every night but it doesn't help much, especially because the acne seems to scar and take ages to disappear.
My diet is very good, I eat a healthy plant based diet, so it's not like my acne is from eating dairy and greasy takeaways every day.
So I think my acne is hormonal from the mini pill.

I want to ask my GP to put me on a different contraceptive pill that will help to clear my skin. Which specific pill should I ask for?
I have read online that doctors prescribe a particular contraceptive pill to deal with hormonal acne, but I don't know the name of it to request from my GP incase they don't know or haven't heard of it.

Thank you
Honestly I wouldn't take a pill. I'd just try to keep up with a skincare routine everyday, twice a day.
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
I started taking the mini pill (Cerelle/Degesterol) last year and since then, I keep getting acne around my cheek and jaw. It is very mild acne so other people can't see it, but I can up close in the mirror. I apply Benzol Peroxide gel every night but it doesn't help much, especially because the acne seems to scar and take ages to disappear.
My diet is very good, I eat a healthy plant based diet, so it's not like my acne is from eating dairy and greasy takeaways every day.

I want to ask my GP to put me on a different contraceptive pill that will help to clear my skin. Which specific pill should I ask for?
I have read online that doctors prescribe a particular contraceptive pill to deal with hormonal acne, but I don't know the name of it to request from my GP incase they don't know or haven't heard of it.

Thank you

The pill is different for everyone. So whilst one pill may be better than others at reducing acne for some people, it won't be the case for everyone. Go to your GP, and ask to talk through some options for pills. You may have to try a few different ones to find one that works for you.
Original post by sunny.side.up
Honestly I wouldn't take a pill. I'd just try to keep up with a skincare routine everyday, twice a day.

I already have a skincare routine, I use tea tree products every day. I already said it is a hormonal issue so having a skincare routine can help, but hormonal acne is an internal problem.
Original post by DrawTheLine
The pill is different for everyone. So whilst one pill may be better than others at reducing acne for some people, it won't be the case for everyone. Go to your GP, and ask to talk through some options for pills. You may have to try a few different ones to find one that works for you.

Thank you. I used to be on a different pill which was better, but it was unfortunately discontinued. Hopefully there will be another alternative.
I don't know if they could put me on roaccutane if my acne is just mild.
I've had acne issues in the past .
Tips :
Reduce dairy intake
Drink tons more water

It really helps. Trust me.
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth

Thank you

Acne can be a side effect of the mini pill and all other progesterone only methods of contraception. If you are able to take the combined pill, certain ones can work really well for acne. But the best person to advise about this is your GP. They can also prescribe other treatments for your acne.
Original post by SchmuckOff
I've had acne issues in the past .
Tips :
Reduce dairy intake
Drink tons more water

It really helps. Trust me.

just because this helped your skin, doesn't mean it will help everyone

Quick Reply

Latest