The Student Room Group

I love chemical engineer but...

I am a Y12 student.Recently I am starting to feel interest in chemical engineering.Out of all my career options in mind I am considering (taking into account my A-Level combination Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths) chemical engineering because it seems to be a perfect balance of chemistry,maths and physics.I just took a quick look at university level texbook just to see the content and I am finding everything very interesting (even though I didn't understand the Maths part much😅...but I think I am academically smart enough to understand it when the time comes since I've always been scoring the best in my class in all maths and sciences tests).

I also like the high starting salary but it scares me the fact that there aren't many places available and that it is hard for grads to find a job...I feel unsure if I should proceed with a chemical engineering degree and whether it is worth it to risk😕
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AW AFR
I am a Y12 student.Recently I am starting to feel interest towards chemical engineer.Out of all my career options I am considering taking into account my my A-Level combination (Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths) chemical engineering seems to be a perfect balance of chemistry,maths and physics.I just took a quick look at university level texbook just to see the content and I am finding everything very interesting (even though I didn't understand the Maths part much😅...but I think I am academically smart enough to understand it when the time comes since I've always been scoring the best in my class in all maths and sciences tests).

I also like the high starting salary but it scares me the fact that there aren't many places available and that it is hard for grads to find a job...I feel unsure if I should proceed with a chemical engineering degree and whether it is worth it to risk😕.

It's hard for any grad to find a job so if you like the career path then you'll be motivated to follow through with it and you will succeed eventually you just need an in eg internships
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I hear stories about people getting internships but still finding extremely difficult to find a job.According to IChemE in 2017 only 59% of graduates got a job.Which is pretty weird...I know that oil and gas industry is getting less popular than others...but chemical engineers should still have plenty of places in pharma,food and drink,biotech,minerals,water treatment companies.I thought ChemEng to be flexible enough as a degree therefore much more employable.
I am not even considering the transferrable skills that can be used outside ChemEng such as banking and accounting or some others that I dont currently know.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AW AFR
I hear stories about people getting internships but still finding extremely difficult to find a job.According to IChemE in 2017 only 59% of graduates got a job.Which is pretty weird...I know that oil and gas industry is getting less popular than others...but chemical engineers should still have plenty of places in pharma,food and drink,biotech,minerals,water treatment companies.I thought ChemEng to be flexible enough as a degree therefore much more employable.
I am not even considering the transferrable skills that can be used outside ChemEng such as banking and accounting or some others that I dont currently know.

That website says around 20% in further study so that would account for the gap slightly , furthermore it only has a 10% unemployment rate 6 months after graduation

Quick Reply

Latest