The Student Room Group

Kitten still not interacting with girlfriend

Been a few weeks now, I posted about this before, people were saying give it time for the kitten to gain trust but it’s been about 2 or 3 weeks and her kitten still is running away. Basically my gf accidentally stop on her kitten, she took her to the vet, luckily she was uninjured and healthy but since my gf came back from the vet her kitten won’t react with my gf at all. She runs away when my gf is in site of her, even if my gf tries to feed her she runs and nothing is working. I have to care for my gfs kitten, I feel like it’s an extra responsibility, I have to take her in my car for vet stuff which I don’t really like. It’s my gfs kitten really and she doesn’t drive so taking the kitten out isn’t really something my gf has to worry about because she just caries it on the train or bus or whatever. Anyway to anyone who knows about this stuff can you please offer advice because this is making my gf unhappy.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6727252

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Been a few weeks now, I posted about this before, people were saying give it time for the kitten to gain trust but it’s been about 2 or 3 weeks and her kitten still is running away. Basically my gf accidentally stop on her kitten, she took her to the vet, luckily she was uninjured and healthy but since my gf came back from the vet her kitten won’t react with my gf at all. She runs away when my gf is in site of her, even if my gf tries to feed her she runs and nothing is working. I have to care for my gfs kitten, I feel like it’s an extra responsibility, I have to take her in my car for vet stuff which I don’t really like. It’s my gfs kitten really and she doesn’t drive so taking the kitten out isn’t really something my gf has to worry about because she just caries it on the train or bus or whatever. Anyway to anyone who knows about this stuff can you please offer advice because this is making my gf unhappy.

I dont think 2 weeks is enough and you need to show patience.
You make it sound more like a moan and burden from you rather than it being about the kittens welfare.
If its eating and sleeping ok, then I wouldnt worry. It has had a very big shock, which is what happens when you have a near death experience.
How many times has it been to the vets?
Why on a train? That probably scares it.
Is the vet insisting it needs to be continually checked?

Maybe get a taxi if the burden and responsibility is too great for you?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think 2 weeks is enough and you need to show patience.
You make it sound more like a moan and burden from you rather than it being about the kittens welfare.
If its eating and sleeping ok, then I wouldnt worry. It has had a very big shock, which is what happens when you have a near death experience.
How many times has it been to the vets?
Why on a train? That probably scares it.
Is the vet insisting it needs to be continually checked?

Maybe get a taxi if the burden and responsibility is too great for you?

I have checked my other thread it says 3 weeks, it’s just the fact my gf is upset. It’s eating and sleeping fine. I have forgot how many times I have taken it to the vet. I think my gf uses the bus most of the time and the train for longer stories just because she doesn’t drive I don’t take it on either. I have anxiety so that’s why I don’t use taxis. I think once my gf had to go on the train to a further vet I think this was when it got stood on the local vet was closed so she had to go to one further away on the train. I think all this is a too big of a responsibility if it was long term and I think I would have to rehome if that was the case
other than feeding, maybe she should avoid interacting with the kitten, i read somewhere cats will react more with their owner if the owner doesnt pay too much attention to them. Cats usually like things on their terms not the owners so it makes sense.
I have checked my other thread it says 3 weeks, it’s just the fact my gf is upset. It’s eating and sleeping fine. I have forgot how many times I have taken it to the vet. I think my gf uses the bus most of the time and the train for longer stories just because she doesn’t drive I don’t take it on either. I have anxiety so that’s why I don’t use taxis. I think once my gf had to go on the train to a further vet I think this was when it got stood on the local vet was closed so she had to go to one further away on the train. I think all this is a too big of a responsibility if it was long term and I think I would have to rehome if that was the case

How many times has it been back to the vet once they confirmed it was not injured?
What has the vet said?
What did cats protection say?
Did I point you towards cat owner forums last time?

If it were my cat I would be happy it was sleeping and eating ok.
As it ate more then I would move its bowl more into the open so it didnt hide.
I might feed it some treats by hand and play with it a little.
I would be patient.

Cats are very self sufficient. I cant see them being a responsibility.
Reply 5
Original post by browniecat
other than feeding, maybe she should avoid interacting with the kitten, i read somewhere cats will react more with their owner if the owner doesnt pay too much attention to them. Cats usually like things on their terms not the owners so it makes sense.

Ok thanks bye
Reply 6
How many times has it been back to the vet once they confirmed it was not injured?
What has the vet said?
What did cats protection say?
Did I point you towards cat owner forums last time?

If it were my cat I would be happy it was sleeping and eating ok.
As it ate more then I would move its bowl more into the open so it didnt hide.
I might feed it some treats by hand and play with it a little.
I would be patient.

Cats are very self sufficient. I cant see them being a responsibility.

My gf went once I think, the vet checked it over
I wasn’t there so I don’t know exactly what they said probably just something like everything is fine
Cats protection didn’t get involved
I think someone said give it time on the forum as well because I went on one
I’m patient but again it my girlfriend also what do we do if it continues like this
It can take months to gain an animals trust, just give it time.
It’s an animal,your girl friend is a human,probably 3 times bigger than the kitten,if I was a kitten and a giant human stepped on me I would run away,it’s a natural instinct,jeez.Give the kitten time and stop trying for awhile if it wants to be in peace then let it be. :smile:

Edit- Why are you not considering the kittens feelings and only your girlfriends? It won’t benefit either of them.
(edited 3 years ago)
My gf went once I think, the vet checked it over
I wasn’t there so I don’t know exactly what they said probably just something like everything is fine
Cats protection didn’t get involved
I think someone said give it time on the forum as well because I went on one
I’m patient but again it my girlfriend also what do we do if it continues like this

You dont seem patient. You talk about burden and responsibility.
Its a little kitten that has had a shock, just feed it keep it warm, be kind and play with it a bit. It will come round eventually.
You dont seem patient. You talk about burden and responsibility.
Its a little kitten that has had a shock, just feed it keep it warm, be kind and play with it a bit. It will come round eventually.

It’s just I don’t feel like I can take responsibility for it much longer and want it back in my gfs hands
Original post by Summerneive
It’s an animal,your girl friend is a human,probably 3 times bigger than the kitten,if I was a kitten and a giant human stepped on me I would run away,it’s a natural instinct,jeez.Give the kitten time and stop trying for awhile if it wants to be in peace then let it be. :smile:

Edit- Why are you not considering the kittens feelings and only your girlfriends? It won’t benefit either of them.

She’s been on my back about all the time and I don’t think I can take responsibility for much longer
Original post by DiddyDec
It can take months to gain an animals trust, just give it time.

Alright
Reply 13

Tell her to cut her losses, sell the kitten, use that money to buy a new one ... and watch where she's putting her size 12's in future......
It’s just I don’t feel like I can take responsibility for it much longer and want it back in my gfs hands

How much trouble does emptying its little tray and feeding it twice a day involve?
15 minutes a day if that?
Speak to gf then and hand it back.

This is going round in circles and you seem to think its such a ginormous task, when most other people its hardly anything. I would feel more responsibility and concern about nursing the kitten back to health and de traumatising it as far as possible. I can see your point, but I think its a very weak one.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/categories/cat-forums.5/
https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/
https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/
https://thecatsite.com/

:smile: Always remember a cat owns you, not you the cat, even in a subtle way, and they know it.....
When Pappy our cat was a kitten she had a trick of vanishing just before bedtime hiding or running somewhere we couldn't get her, then after everybody had settled in bed asleep jumping up and purring in our ears - and woe betide if we took her downstairs and shut the door so she couldn't do the same again!
Give your kitten time to regain trust- they have had a shock to their system and need space to do so.
(edited 3 years ago)
How much trouble does emptying its little tray and feeding it twice a day involve?
15 minutes a day if that?
Speak to gf then and hand it back.

This is going round in circles and you seem to think its such a ginormous task, when most other people its hardly anything. I would feel more responsibility and concern about nursing the kitten back to health and de traumatising it as far as possible. I can see your point, but I think its a very weak one.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/categories/cat-forums.5/
https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/
https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/
https://thecatsite.com/

I have work, there more than than that to do like watching it, cleaning up mess and stuff
Cheers for your help anyway though
Original post by UnclePete
:smile: Always remember a cat owns you, not you the cat, even in a subtle way, and they know it.....
When Pappy our cat was a kitten she had a trick of vanishing just before bedtime hiding or running somewhere we couldn't get her, then after everybody had settled in bed asleep jumping up and purring in our ears - and woe betide if we took her downstairs and shut the door so she couldn't do the same again!
Give your kitten time to regain trust- they have had a shock to their system and need space to do so.

Ok
Original post by ANM775
Tell her to cut her losses, sell the kitten, use that money to buy a new one ... and watch where she's putting her size 12's in future......

Might be a good idea if it doesn’t improve
Might be a good idea if it doesn’t improve

That is just ****ing cruel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending