The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Did you not get the decision reverses with Ticker ? Have you thought about contacting the financial ombudsman ? We got a quote with go girl but it was over 6k
for those wondering abt ticket.. i use n hav not had any problems with them. from what i’ve heard abt others insurance i’d recommend them for a black box insurance - they’re really lenient - i go over the speed limits fairly often and my driving is still on the best rating on their app scale thing. - don’t go ovr by much obvsly like max 10mph ovr rly....

question - does anyone using ticker know how much it is to add miles to insurance policy? my policy is set at 5,000 miles but looks like i’ll go over that by end of the year.. ik the policy allows u t add more miles on..just want t know roughly how much this might be..?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by chadderzz
for those wondering abt ticket.. i use n hav not had any problems with them. from what i’ve heard abt others insurance i’d recommend them for a black box insurance - they’re really lenient - i go over the speed limits fairly often and my driving is still on the best rating on their app scale thing. - don’t go ovr by much obvsly like max 10mph ovr rly....

question - does anyone using ticker know how much it is to add miles to insurance policy? my policy is set at 5,000 miles but looks like i’ll go over that by end of the year.. ik the policy allows u t add more miles on..just want t know roughly how much this might be..?

It's based on your premium like literally every other policy, so no, we can't give you a rough idea.
I've been with ticker for 6 months now and I will admit that there car selection is limited, but the price is rlly cheap for new driver and I'm always speeding and still getting gold Driver status (the highest)
Reply 24
Original post by Oooooo12945
Hello all, a little insight to Ticker for you here. I've been with them for around 9 months now, as stated above, their telematics box (that sticks on the window) is very poor. Easy go 10mph over and still get the best driver status. Dont want them to track you for a week? Dont turn your bluetooth on. Force stop the app I'd you're on android.The box does hold some data however I seem to have noticed it can only hold up to around 100 miles. Realised I haven't had the app open for months. They thought I'd done 1k miles when in fact I'd done around 4.5k. I recommend them as I've had no issues of course, but that's not the same for everyone else in this thread. Was also the cheapest insurance for at the time. Done a quote check the other day and looks like it costs 600 pound less for me to renew atm. However, that could be heavily caused by the current covid19 situation. Either way, no issues with them on my part. Any questions, just ask.

You've just openly admitted to defrauding your insurance company on a public forum. Well done.
Can anyone give me an insight to this :
While you're insured with Ticker:
-Have your phone in the vehicle when you drive
-Make sure your phone stays paired with your box - after the first time you -pair, it'll connect automatically
-Keep your Bluetooth, location services and mobile data on (but don't worry, -it's a tiny dent in your data plan)
-Stay logged in to the Ticker app

so they make you ALWAYS have to have your phone in car and they make you drive with 4G and bluetooth on 24.7? what if you're driving 400 miles or lose connection in dark spots? seems like its cheap but an unlimited data plan ain't, i'm on pay as you go as i just use my phone when i really need to but i could get 3gb data a month for £10 which isn't too bad but is 3gb even enough?
Ticker have been good to me, I am getting a renewal quote at the end of the month as I have been nearly with them for a year. They are quite lenient with how you drive( don’t mind about acceleration, cornering, or speed) most I have done is around 10 over the speed limit. They also don’t mind if you go over the speed limit then correct yourself( as in overtaking). It doesn’t use much data at all.
I have a ticker box on my 1.4 (2017) corsa. I looked around for insurance policies but this ended up being one of the cheapest. I didn’t want a black box on my car, however it made my insurance cheaper by about £800. Overall I can’t say I would recommend them, not much information is given about my driving (only a dial from red to gold) and my mileage. I was told about 3 months into my policy that I was driving recklessly and speeding and my policy would be cancelled. I then questioned as to when this event was (at the time I didn’t do any motor way driving or exceeded the speed limit at all as I was a new driver and quite cautious) They then turned round and said that it was a mistake on their part. I then asked if it would affect my policy and they said it would change my dial score for the week. I’m not sure if this will affect my policy in the long run though? I then went on holiday for 2 weeks a while later and the driving app said I was a GOLD driver for that period of time. As soon as I got home and began to drive again, it went straight to the other end of the dial. The bearings within the black box itself isn’t the best and I feel as though it isn’t the most reliable of insurance companies. I purchased 6000 miles at the start of my policy and with 3 months remaining, I have about 300 miles left so i’m yet to see how much it will cost to buy some more miles.
I'm considering them but don't like how the box is wireless and relies on mobile data and bluetooth to work...what if you forget your phone or forget to turn data on or it runs out mid travel? i have already had a box for almost a year (currently have one on my first car which is a corsa with hastings smartmiles" and its a disaster, always complaining even when someone pulls out on me etc and a black box will never ever take into account/know why you took the actions you did, if you brake harsh they just assume you're a bad driver or messing around when in reality you probably braked hard for some idiot pulling out etc, safe to say i hate the black box and they're a con but when your insurance goes from £3k to £1200 from having one its tempting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Nick6501
I'm considering them but don't like how the box is wireless and relies on mobile data and bluetooth to work...what if you forget your phone or forget to turn data on or it runs out mid travel? i have already had a box for almost a year (currently have one on my first car which is a corsa with hastings smartmiles" and its a disaster, always complaining even when someone pulls out on me etc and a black box will never ever take into account/know why you took the actions you did, if you brake harsh they just assume you're a bad driver or messing around when in reality you probably braked hard for some idiot pulling out etc, safe to say i hate the black box and they're a con but when your insurance goes from £3k to £1200 from having one its tempting.

Choose a different car instead and you won't have to pay such a high sum of money to drive without a box.
Bit late to this thread, but having used this company since February, I have to say they are really good, even after speeding a few times, a sharp corner here and there, I've never actually seen my driver rating drop from gold, however I can say the only problem I've had with this company is the box, you've got to connect it to your phone which is a hassle at times as it doesn't always want to wake up instantly, and can take 5 or so minutes of opening and closing your door and walking it with stuff, and it of course uses data, mind you not very much, less than 100mb a month (that was with about 400 miles in a week during that month, so your mileage may vary).
Original post by Nick6501
so they make you ALWAYS have to have your phone in car and they make you drive with 4G and bluetooth on 24.7? what if you're driving 400 miles or lose connection in dark spots? seems like its cheap but an unlimited data plan ain't, i'm on pay as you go as i just use my phone when i really need to but i could get 3gb data a month for £10 which isn't too bad but is 3gb even enough?

Yes your phone has to always be in the car when your driving, but in general how many people today don't always carry their phone anyway. As to the Bluetooth, it shouldn't make to much difference, as I've not even noticed a huge decrease in my battery life so you'd barely know it was connected. And plus in general you won't be driving for long enough for it to matter, and can just turn that off when your out the car.

The box can store a certain amount of miles, so if you got a dead spot it's fine, it'll just transmit it once it gets signal again. And as for data, I use depending on how much I'm driving an average of 20-150mb a month so it's not too bad
Reply 32
No. I have black box, but apparently I don't know have to drive (not speeding, racing or doing anything extreme). I'm on red mark, I don't know what to do. I will lose my policy.
Reply 33
Original post by AVende
No. I have black box, but apparently I don't know have to drive (not speeding, racing or doing anything extreme). I'm on red mark, I don't know what to do. I will lose my policy.

Cancel before they do.
Original post by AVende

Ask an experienced driver to sit in with you and assess your driving. You might not think your driving is poor, but that doesn't mean that it isn't.

If whoever-it-is thinks that your driving is OK, ask Ticker to check the box or send a new one. If they won't do that, then (as Tom ^ says), cancel your policy before they do.
I know this is an old comment but how did this pan out with ticker? did they re instate the insurance or have you gone elsewhere - if rhey cancelled policy how did declaring it affect premiums
Original post by redslash2000
Does anyone have any experiences/knowledge on the telematics insurance company Ticker. Noticed they were popping up as the cheapest company for premiums on all the quotes I was doing, they are very new and seem to be heavily influenced by celebrities. Honestly kinda skeptical as to if they are a bit of a rip-off of a company.

Many thanks

Wouldn't touch a black box with a bargepole
I know I'm a bit late but hopefully you find this helpful anyway, I was with Ticker when I passed my test, had a 1.2 Corsa, the price was the cheapest out there and i was skeptical for that reason but decided to go against my train of thought anyway. best decision i ever made. Probably not a great review for the company but im convinced the only thing that it tracks is your mileage, doesn't seem to monitor speed, cornering, braking, acceleration at all. would 100% recommend
I'm currently insured by ticker and would say they are best policy providers if you decided to have a blackbox. My insurance was so much cheaper with them. £800 for a year on a 2007 Renault Clio 1.2lt dynamique. It is so easy to set up and connect to it. Honestly wouldn't have chosen any other provider for a blackbox.
Original post by lewis182406
I know I'm a bit late but hopefully you find this helpful anyway, I was with Ticker when I passed my test, had a 1.2 Corsa, the price was the cheapest out there and i was skeptical for that reason but decided to go against my train of thought anyway. best decision i ever made. Probably not a great review for the company but im convinced the only thing that it tracks is your mileage, doesn't seem to monitor speed, cornering, braking, acceleration at all. would 100% recommend

Totally agree with you. Speed limits are only advisory 🤣

Latest

Trending

Trending