The Student Room Group

Uni Placement 2021 help

So, I'm trying to sort out my placement plan, and I'm a bit stuck. I live in the countryside, so bus travel is limited. Very limited. In order to go to somewhere like Belfast, I must get drove to a bus stop 15-20 minutes away, and the bus times to Belfast at the earliest is 6.30. Getting me there at 7.30.
I'm looking for placement near me, but Belfast seems to be the the only option I can travel to on bus, as I don't drive.
I was wondering, is travelling by bus better than staying up there, cause it would even giving me the option of going somewhere further for better opportunties? I'm not sure which option is cheaper overall, and gives less stress. I do have anxiety, so something like getting there on time, or missing something is incredible stressful.
My family actually laughed when I suggested moving for placement, but, I'm wondering of the pay is good enough (some placements I looked at do offer quite good salaries), would moving be good, or is bus travel better?
Original post by MAMG
So, I'm trying to sort out my placement plan, and I'm a bit stuck. I live in the countryside, so bus travel is limited. Very limited. In order to go to somewhere like Belfast, I must get drove to a bus stop 15-20 minutes away, and the bus times to Belfast at the earliest is 6.30. Getting me there at 7.30.
I'm looking for placement near me, but Belfast seems to be the the only option I can travel to on bus, as I don't drive.
I was wondering, is travelling by bus better than staying up there, cause it would even giving me the option of going somewhere further for better opportunties? I'm not sure which option is cheaper overall, and gives less stress. I do have anxiety, so something like getting there on time, or missing something is incredible stressful.
My family actually laughed when I suggested moving for placement, but, I'm wondering of the pay is good enough (some placements I looked at do offer quite good salaries), would moving be good, or is bus travel better?

What subject area/industry are you looking for placements in?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What subject area/industry are you looking for placements in?

My course is business with computing. Really I'm interested in something related either the business or IT, maybe something like a data analyst.
But, as I live in the country, there isn't many options, if at all.
Original post by Anonymous
My course is business with computing. Really I'm interested in something related either the business or IT, maybe something like a data analyst.

Have you looked further afield to see if any remote working placements are available? Given the virus, I wouldn't be surprised if online placements become more common.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Have you looked further afield to see if any remote working placements are available? Given the virus, I wouldn't be surprised if online placements become more common.

Yeah, i have checked, but there doesn't seem to be any. Though, I wouldn't mind so much working online, I'm kind of excited to work in person, in somewhere like an office.
Original post by MAMG

So your options
1) ridiculous commute where you get a lift, and an hour long bus
2) rent in somewhere more feasible
3) drive

Option 1 seems painful, think about those long winter nights. And its their & back.
Have you looked at M-F rental, some people offer rooms to professionals like this and it might be a little cheaper.
Or learn to drive?
Original post by Anonymous

Don't abuse the anon function.
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Don't abuse the anon function.

Oh, I didn't realise I clicked the check box. Sorry about that

Quick Reply

Latest