The Student Room Group

Higher Statistical Officer - GSS civil service

I recently completed a final stage interview for higher statistical officer across the GSS in the civil service. My feedback came quickly and I was only informed that I was 'successful at interview'. I understand that being allocated to a department can be slow but am I safe to assume I definitely have a job and will not be placed on a reserve list. I have other interviews coming up that I am unsure about whether to cancel for this reason. My main worry is that my interview score was not high as I got 4s in all behaviours bar one 5, so I feel that there are more qualified candidates that have been identified.

If anyone knows the likelihood of there being a reserved list for this role please let me know.

Scroll to see replies

I've just been successful at interview as well. Have you been assigned a department yet? Really want to know what the next steps are after you've been successful haha
Yeah I have this for a different role in a different department, said I was successful and will be offered a job within the next 5 month. Feels like you only have a half-job so very annoying until the formal offer comes through
Reply 3
I too I have been informed today I have been successful at interview and I've also been asked to send ID, address and degree documentation. Does anyone know whether such situation differs or not from the reserve list? They seemed to imply that all people who are successful will get an offer sooner or later but I'd rather listen some direct experience.
Original post by Math_AB
I too I have been informed today I have been successful at interview and I've also been asked to send ID, address and degree documentation. Does anyone know whether such situation differs or not from the reserve list? They seemed to imply that all people who are successful will get an offer sooner or later but I'd rather listen some direct experience.

Yeah, they are different or at least seem quite different.
Although the one I was successful at they haven't asked for any documentation or details yet for mine. But the email is worded as if I will get a job just not right now.
And I am on the reserve for another roll, they haven't said much apart from we will try and get a job for you if one becomes available so I am not feeling hopeful for that one
Reply 5
Original post by tommy988
Yeah, they are different or at least seem quite different.
Although the one I was successful at they haven't asked for any documentation or details yet for mine. But the email is worded as if I will get a job just not right now.
And I am on the reserve for another roll, they haven't said much apart from we will try and get a job for you if one becomes available so I am not feeling hopeful for that one

Thank you, this at least confirms my impression. I am on two reserve lists for other roles too - not holding my breath about those honestly.
Reply 6
Hello, I've completed the numerical test for a higher statistical officer. I had to submit my written application in order to be invited to do the numerical test. I haven't got the pass mark on the numerical test. I feel like I wrote a long and specific personal statement demonstrating how I meet the job requirements for nothing, since having not passed the numerical test this is the end of my application. I feel frustrated. Why are they not asking to complete the numerical test first and if you get the pass mark then invite you to submit your written application? It really feels like a waste of effort... Good luck to everyone else who got is currently further into the process.
Reply 7
Original post by charra
Hello, I've completed the numerical test for a higher statistical officer. I had to submit my written application in order to be invited to do the numerical test. I haven't got the pass mark on the numerical test. I feel like I wrote a long and specific personal statement demonstrating how I meet the job requirements for nothing, since having not passed the numerical test this is the end of my application. I feel frustrated. Why are they not asking to complete the numerical test first and if you get the pass mark then invite you to submit your written application? It really feels like a waste of effort... Good luck to everyone else who got is currently further into the process.

Did you try the campaign that is closing tomorrow? I am on that as well (however I was successful at the previous one so I'll withdraw from it as soon as they confirm me I will be allocated to a department) and I agree that it does not really make sense to invite for the test after submitting the full application form.

In the previous campaign we submitted the first part of the application, were invited for the test and, if reached the pass-mark, prompted to complete the second part of the application form (with CV and personal statement).
Reply 8
Hi Math_AB,I was successful in the previous campaign too, though having read about some people being put on a reserve list in other forums, I'm a bit worried about how likely it is to get allocated to a department sometime soon.Did you apply to the new campaign to increase your chances of this? Was just curious to know. For me, I was kind of not going to continue other interviews/job searches but now I think I probably should.Cheers
Reply 9
Original post by de1239
Hi Math_AB,I was successful in the previous campaign too, though having read about some people being put on a reserve list in other forums, I'm a bit worried about how likely it is to get allocated to a department sometime soon.Did you apply to the new campaign to increase your chances of this? Was just curious to know. For me, I was kind of not going to continue other interviews/job searches but now I think I probably should.Cheers

Yes, I applied for the second as a backup in case I got rejected or put into the reserve list. Chances to be appointed directly against being put into the reserve list are really a mistery. If this is of any comfort, the lady asking for documents before the interview did not make any mention to the reserve list - to me at least, she said that if I were successful I should have sent those same documents to speed up departmental allocation and gave a time-frame of 3-4 weeks.

I have other ongoing applications which will close in few days and hopefully I will know better from the GSS before the results from these come out.

What were your grades for the interview if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 10
Original post by Math_AB
Did you try the campaign that is closing tomorrow? I am on that as well (however I was successful at the previous one so I'll withdraw from it as soon as they confirm me I will be allocated to a department) and I agree that it does not really make sense to invite for the test after submitting the full application form.

In the previous campaign we submitted the first part of the application, were invited for the test and, if reached the pass-mark, prompted to complete the second part of the application form (with CV and personal statement).

Yes, the campaign closing tomorrow. The process you describe in the previous campaign makes more sense. Just out of curiosity, were the numerical tests quite similar in both campaigns? I guess I haven’t wasted my time completely as I’ll be able to reuse the personal statement in future campaigns. It sounds like they come up relatively often.Good luck with your application!
Reply 11
Original post by charra
Yes, the campaign closing tomorrow. The process you describe in the previous campaign makes more sense. Just out of curiosity, were the numerical tests quite similar in both campaigns? I guess I haven’t wasted my time completely as I’ll be able to reuse the personal statement in future campaigns. It sounds like they come up relatively often.Good luck with your application!

Yes, it was the same - a timed tests with a mixture of statistics and probability and some numerical exercises. I have actually done it another time for the Ministry of Justice July campaign "External recruitment for Statistical officers in London", about which I still have to hear back (application on hold, whatever it means).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Math_AB
Yes, I applied for the second as a backup in case I got rejected or put into the reserve list. Chances to be appointed directly against being put into the reserve list are really a mistery. If this is of any comfort, the lady asking for documents before the interview did not make any mention to the reserve list - to me at least, she said that if I were successful I should have sent those same documents to speed up departmental allocation and gave a time-frame of 3-4 weeks.

I have other ongoing applications which will close in few days and hopefully I will know better from the GSS before the results from these come out.

Ah i see, good shout. Have you been in a statistical officer role before then? I didn't know before that there was a reserve list.
But thats good to know, the HR person who asked me for documents also said a few weeks for department allocation but no mention of reserve list.

No worries, I got 28 overall across Behaviours and Technical, how about you?
Reply 13
Original post by de1239
Ah i see, good shout. Have you been in a statistical officer role before then? I didn't know before that there was a reserve list.
But thats good to know, the HR person who asked me for documents also said a few weeks for department allocation but no mention of reserve list.

No worries, I got 28 overall across Behaviours and Technical, how about you?

We're on the same boat, I scored 29!

No, I haven't been in a similar role before, but the job advert mentions the reserve list. I am also on 2 lists for other roles and I was put there straightly after interview (no stage "successful at interview", directly "application in reserve"), hence the doubts.

If the HR representative did not mention the reserve list to you either it might be that they will use all successful candidates... Fingers crossed!
Reply 14
For those people who are still waiting (and for future reference): I have just been confirmed my department allocation. This took exactly 3 weeks from the confirmation of being successful at interview.
Original post by Math_AB
For those people who are still waiting (and for future reference): I have just been confirmed my department allocation. This took exactly 3 weeks from the confirmation of being successful at interview.

Yeah although mine isn't GSS, I also was offered the formal job 2 weeks after being told I was successful at interview. Good luck and hopefully those in this phase don't have to wait too long.
Reply 16
Original post by tjames988
Yeah although mine isn't GSS, I also was offered the formal job 2 weeks after being told I was successful at interview. Good luck and hopefully those in this phase don't have to wait too long.

Wow, that sounds pretty fast for Civil Service! Can I ask you what did you have to do for the pre-employment checks?
Original post by Math_AB
Wow, that sounds pretty fast for Civil Service! Can I ask you what did you have to do for the pre-employment checks?

nothing complicated, just standard things like passport, driving license, proof of address/ NI, DBS, references and then read though different forms and sign them
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by tjames988
nothing complicated, just standard things like passport, driving license, proof of address/ NI, DBS, references and then read though different forms and sign them

That sounds great. Congratulations on your new job and all the best!
Original post by Math_AB

Hi, I know this has been a long time. Can you please give me and idea of what to expect doing the data dissemination test? I have been invited for an interview and I am trying to get ready. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending