The Student Room Group

RAF apprenticeship

Hi
My son is looking at doing an apprenticeship in the RAF, he's unsure which one, and in the current climate its tricky as we cant go and speak to anyone in person. We've looked on the website but it's not the same as discussing it in person.

Is there antthing he can be doing in the meantime that will go In His favour, he's year 11.The cadets are closed still and he only took an interest during lock down so he didn't attend anything before

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Jessiewanie
Hi
My son is looking at doing an apprenticeship in the RAF, he's unsure which one, and in the current climate its tricky as we cant go and speak to anyone in person. We've looked on the website but it's not the same as discussing it in person.

Is there antthing he can be doing in the meantime that will go In His favour, he's year 11.The cadets are closed still and he only took an interest during lock down so he didn't attend anything before

Thank you

I would give your local AFCO a ring. I know some are doing online 1:1 appointments
Reply 2
Hi

Thank you

When you say "in his favour", do you mean to make his application stronger, or to find out what role would suit him more?
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
When you say "in his favour", do you mean to make his application stronger, or to find out what role would suit him more?

Both I think.
Reply 4
Both I think.

As long as he's ticking all the boxes for the minimum requirements, then he's got as much of a chance as anyone else. How he gets on depends on how he performs through selection, the tests and interviews.

To find out about the roles, get him to look at the careers site in more depth. Read about the roles, look at the interviews from the people doing the roles he's looking at.

Get him to think about what he wants to actually do. "Join the RAF" is a starting point, but what does he like doing? Get him to have a good think about it and spend some time on it. He needs to lead this, it's his life.
Reply 5
Hi

Thank you

Just to clarify, your son isn't choosing which apprenticeship he will do; he has to decide which job he wants to do. There is only one route to join the RAF, through the normal selection process, and to become a full serving member. He will achieve an apprenticeship if he successfully completes his trade training and his portfolio during his first tour.

The AFCO expect anyone they speak with to have already done some research and have a good idea of the roles in they are interested. Hence your son needs to gave a good look at the website and start to narrow down his choices based on his potential qualifications, and whether there are any medical conditions that might affect him.

He needs to have done/be doing activities that show leadership potential, so activities in and out of school where he has been involved in organisation, or holding a position of responsibility.

(Ex-RAF Recruiter).

Quick Reply

Latest