The Student Room Group

A Level Facilitating Subjects

I'm currently deciding on which A Levels to study next year, and over the past few weeks, it seems like I've been changing my mind too frequently.
I aspire to work in diplomacy/international relations, after getting either a political science-oriented degree or a modern languages degree. I am potentially considering Oxbridge, for either MML or HSPS at Cambridge if I put in 100% of my effort at A level.
My interests lie deeply in languages, and my first two A level choices are French and English lit. However, I'm undecided on my third choice, as I am interested in GCSE Geography course content, but would Maths, or even Economics seem better on a university application, although the specification for A level Economics doesn't really attract me!
My issue is that if I take French, Lit, and Geography/Maths in conjunction with each other, will universities look down upon my application as they are all facilitating subjects?
Performance-wise, I'm classed as 'gifted and talented' by my school and can adapt myself to pretty much any content, provided I have the resources.
There's very little career/post-16 advice offered by my school, so if anyone can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated, as this is causing myself great anxiety at the moment!
Original post by Regan_AV
I'm currently deciding on which A Levels to study next year, and over the past few weeks, it seems like I've been changing my mind too frequently.
I aspire to work in diplomacy/international relations, after getting either a political science-oriented degree or a modern languages degree. I am potentially considering Oxbridge, for either MML or HSPS at Cambridge if I put in 100% of my effort at A level.
My interests lie deeply in languages, and my first two A level choices are French and English lit. However, I'm undecided on my third choice, as I am interested in GCSE Geography course content, but would Maths, or even Economics seem better on a university application, although the specification for A level Economics doesn't really attract me!
My issue is that if I take French, Lit, and Geography/Maths in conjunction with each other, will universities look down upon my application as they are all facilitating subjects?
Performance-wise, I'm classed as 'gifted and talented' by my school and can adapt myself to pretty much any content, provided I have the resources.
There's very little career/post-16 advice offered by my school, so if anyone can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated, as this is causing myself great anxiety at the moment!

For economics you will need maths if you intend to apply for a university course so it's not one or the other for that route, since you're considering politics would that not be an option. Facilitating subjects are good but subjects specific to a certain course will be better so for language courses another language would help
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Haywood1743
For economics you will need maths if you intend to apply for a university course so it's not one or the other for that route, since you're considering politics would that not be an option. Facilitating subjects are good but subjects specific to a certain course will be better so for language courses another language would help

University-wise, I'm more inclined to choose a modern language degree, as would this not allow me to enter international relations/diplomacy afresh; with a post-grad scheme like the Civil Service FS? As I already mentioned, languages are sort of my forte, but as I only have French GCSE and local colleges do not offer ab initio language courses, I'm restricted to Geography/Maths for my third A level. I could choose Government and Politics A Level, or even Economics, but I'm aware of how essay-heavy this combination would be.
Original post by Regan_AV
University-wise, I'm more inclined to choose a modern language degree, as would this not allow me to enter international relations/diplomacy afresh; with a post-grad scheme like the Civil Service FS? As I already mentioned, languages are sort of my forte, but as I only have French GCSE and local colleges do not offer ab initio language courses, I'm restricted to Geography/Maths for my third A level. I could choose Government and Politics A Level, or even Economics, but I'm aware of how essay-heavy this combination would be.

You are overcomplicating.
Facilitating isnt a thing really anymore and its been replaced by preferred and non preferred which covers a wider range of subjects.
Just id the subjects you enjoy and can get the best grades with least effort, then check against your target unis entrance requirements to make sure it fits.
Facilitating subjects were officially dropped by RG Unis over a year ago - it was only LSE hanging on to that concept anyway. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

SEcondly, as a result of marketing legislation, Universities must now state very clearly which subjects are 'required' and which 'preferred'. No 'secrets', no 'only I know', no 'back doors'. So if a second or third subject is not specified, you do not need to worry what it is, they are ONLY interested in the grade(s). Choose a subject you enjoy and where you feel confident of getting a high grade.
Reply 5
Thank you for everyone's responses, I'm now definitely more at ease! I'll take the subjects that I feel most confident and comfortable with.

Quick Reply

Latest