The Student Room Group

Why do unis have higher GCSE requirements for business than biology?

I seriously can't figure this out. I am interested in both business and biology studies at uni, since these are both areas that interest me. However the top russel group unis all have a GCSE 6 in English & Maths requirement which unfortunately I don't meet. Whereas the same exact unis have a much lower GCSE requirement for Biology BSc, usually just a 4 in English & Maths. How does this make any sense? Why would business management, which isn't even a STEM course, have higher maths requirements than Biology, an actual science?
Two reasons :

1) If Biology isnt as popular as Business, you lower the entry requirements to encourage more applicants.
2) GCSE grades are based on 'skills needed' and if previous students with lower grades have struggled on the course you insist on those higher grades.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Two reasons :

1) If Biology isnt as popular as Business, you lower the entry requirements to encourage more applicants.
2) GCSE grades are based on 'skills needed' and if previous students with lower grades have struggled on the course you insist on those higher grades.

Yeah but to address your second point that's what I don't get. English fair enough, but I really would have thought that maths is a lot more important in Biology than it is in Business. Given that it's a STEM subject which will have a fair amount of calculations, whereas Business is just theories, I guess like a social science or humanities subject.
Also, the main reason is that they would be that they are both set independently of each other, each department chooses the GCSE requirements based on their own needs rather than some central uni admissions choosing for all courses
Does the biology department have specific a-levels required, e.g. maths or sciences? If someone has science a-levels, they know that their maths is good enough, whatever their GCSE grades are.

In practice, I expect most people who have good grades in a level science have more than a 4 in maths anyway.
Original post by mma_jd
I really would have thought that maths is a lot more important in Biology than it is in Business.

Then that shows how little you understand what a Business degree is about. Its about hard profit-and-loss and statistics, and logic - and clearly those with low grade Maths dont have the right aptitude for that subject at degree level.
Original post by McGinger
Then that shows how little you understand what a Business degree is about. Its about hard profit-and-loss and statistics, and logic - and clearly those with low grade Maths dont have the right aptitude for that subject at degree level.

you wouldn't be able to complete a business degree without taking modules in accountancy/ finance or business economics, both of which have more maths in them than a level business...
(edited 3 years ago)
Maths is probably more important in Business than Biology. Business is going to be largely figure work in Russell Group universities. Economics which is a similar subject to Business has an A level Maths requirement in most RG universities.
Original post by tommy988
you would be able to complete a business degree without taking modules in accountancy/ finance or business economics, both of which have more maths in them than a level business...

Entry requirements do not read 'if you only want to take xyz units we'll accept grade whatever Maths'. And then have to mess about re-checking GCSE grades every time there is a unit choice. They want the most able applicants they can get who can do the whole course from the get-go. That is why it is worded : 'if you want a place on this degree you need THIS grade in Maths'.

PS. Just because you 'dont understand it', it doesnt mean that Universities dont know what they are doing. It might mean you haven't got much idea about how a University works. They have been running degree courses for a lot longer than you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending