The Student Room Group

Bisexual problems

Hey
I don't know what to do because my grandparents don't like gays or bisexual people and most of my family doesn't either.
I'm bisexual and only some of my closest friends know.
How do I tell my grandparents that I'm bisexual without being hated for the rest of my life
Hey!

I'm bisexual too, so I understand completely where you're coming from.

You shouldn't feel pressured to come out to your grandparents, especially if you're worried about their reaction. I haven't come out to anyone I know yet, even though I've known my sexuality for nearly a year. Coming out can be helpful to let the people you love know but your bisexuality is just as valid and choosing not telling anyone.

You don't have to answer but, how recently did you discover your bisexuality?
xx :smile:
Yo,

I am bisexual too and thought I would join the chat! I am very much closeted too and don't plan on telling my family just yet. I am thinking of waiting until I am in a relationship with a guy (I am a guy btw) before telling. Then maybe say that I have a boyfriend and that I am bisexual.

I am probably not the best help here because I am still in the middle of my own journey and have little experience on coming out, but just know that you are not the only one worried about coming out. What I found when telling some close friends was that it was easier to just mention things that may suggest my bisexuality - talking about crushes etc. I know this may be a bit more difficult with grandparents and your family, but there may be a way that you could try something similar?

Also, the best advice that someone gave me was not to feel pressured to come out (like Bookworm1806 said). It helped me realise that you have total control over when and how you decide to come out.

I feel like I haven't given you much good advice due to my lack of experience, but I thought commenting might reiterate that a lot of people are experiencing similar problems so you are not alone.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Bookworm1806
Hey!

I'm bisexual too, so I understand completely where you're coming from.

You shouldn't feel pressured to come out to your grandparents, especially if you're worried about their reaction. I haven't come out to anyone I know yet, even though I've known my sexuality for nearly a year. Coming out can be helpful to let the people you love know but your bisexuality is just as valid and choosing not telling anyone.

You don't have to answer but, how recently did you discover your bisexuality?
xx :smile:

I've known since yr 6
Reply 4
Original post by AshRevise
Yo,

I am bisexual too and thought I would join the chat! I am very much closeted too and don't plan on telling my family just yet. I am thinking of waiting until I am in a relationship with a guy (I am a guy btw) before telling. Then maybe say that I have a boyfriend and that I am bisexual.

I am probably not the best help here because I am still in the middle of my own journey and have little experience on coming out, but just know that you are not the only one worried about coming out. What I found when telling some close friends was that it was easier to just mention things that may suggest my bisexuality - talking about crushes etc. I know this may be a bit more difficult with grandparents and your family, but there may be a way that you could try something similar?

Also, the best advice that someone gave me was not to feel pressured to come out (like Bookworm1806 said). It helped me realise that you have total control over when and how you decide to come out.

I feel like I haven't given you much good advice due to my lack of experience, but I thought commenting might reiterate that a lot of people are experiencing similar problems so you are not alone.

Good luck!

Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending