The Student Room Group

Amazon messed up.....

So I ordered an item to the amazon lockers in my local area. Got there today and inputted the code to receive my item ... but there was 2 parcels in there instead of one! 😮

not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I took both parcels.

The parcel had some other persons name on it.

Should I contact amazon and return it?

or enjoy a free early christmas present?

I have no idea what's inside it as I haven't opened it.

but Amazon is a multi billion dollar company, with Jeff Bezos making $222,844 a minute, I'm sure they can afford the loss.
Reply 1
You will need to return it, or it is mail theft and fraud.
Original post by ANM775
So I ordered an item to the amazon lockers in my local area. Got there today and inputted the code to receive my item ... but there was 2 parcels in there instead of one! 😮

but Amazon is a multi billion dollar company, with Jeff Bezos making $222,844 a minute, I'm sure they can afford the loss.

I think you should do the right thing and at least contact amazon and let them know what happened (i.e. you found two parcels in the locker so assumed they were both for you, but then found out one was for someone else when you got home).

Amazon, if they're feeling generous, will let you keep the item, or will collect the item and maybe give you a gift voucher for being honest. Don't expect a reward, but I think you should just do the right thing and let them know. That's what i'd do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dylgeo
You will need to return it, or it is mail theft and fraud.

they left the item in my locker though.

the onus should be on them to come to me for it
Reply 4
Original post by ANM775
they left the item in my locker though.

the onus should be on them to come to me for it

Doesn’t mean you’re allowed to keep it. Do you want to face a possible sentence for theft?
Reply 5
Original post by dylgeo
Doesn’t mean you’re allowed to keep it. Do you want to face a possible sentence for theft?

doubt it will get that far tbh considering they left in my locker.

I doubt they even know I have it. As it had to be a mistake it was in there in the first place meaning there won't be a record of it.
Keeping that parcel is such a worm thing to do.
Regardless of Amazon making the mistake, you've still knowingly stolen it.
You have no idea of the background etc of the person who bought that item. You have no idea if they desperately needed that item for today and turned to Amazon because they've struggled to get it everywhere else in the current pandemic.
The loss won't be much to Bezos, but it could be huge to the individual who now has to wait for a replacement because you were a worm.
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
doubt it will get that far tbh considering they left in my locker.

I doubt they even know I have it. As it had to be a mistake it was in there in the first place meaning there won't be a record of it.

Then go and keep it since you think you won’t get in trouble. Lockers have CCTV 🤦🏾*♂️
i would keep it ngl. cheeky free gift. parcels go missing all the time it's not that deep.
Original post by Always_Confused
You have no idea of the background etc of the person who bought that item. You have no idea if they desperately needed that item for today and turned to Amazon because they've struggled to get it everywhere else in the current pandemic.
The loss won't be much to Bezos, but it could be huge to the individual who now has to wait for a replacement because you were a worm.

Kids these days eh? :rolleyes: No class. People like this are the ones that shop lift for a living and turn into juvenile delinquents. :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Always_Confused

I wish I knew what was inside

It would make the decision much easier...
Original post by ANM775
I wish I knew what was inside

It would make the decision much easier...

Hmm, seems like you know it was wrong to take it if you haven't even opened it yet.
Original post by ANM775

I had this happen a few years ago (except delivered to my house, not a locker). I called up thinking they could pick it up on route in the coming days and they told me to keep it, was just a book I guess it would have cost more to pick up then just refund the other person.
Original post by ANM775

That's the courier, not directly down to Amazon (unless it was an Amazon delivery driver). Opening mail is someone else's name is a criminal offence, imagine if you get traced back (not to mention it's a very wrong thing to do).

Do the right thing.

Quick Reply

Latest