The Student Room Group

Have you felt or came across discrimination in the university-admissions process?

I know America has pretty big issue with affirmative action and quotas regarding how many % of each minority gets admitted to each uni or even a job (just read Michael Wang's "Students For Fair Admission v.s. Harvard" story).

However, I was wondering if any student from UK felt or had issues in the past regarding being discriminated in your university-admission process or feeling indiscriminated (having a better chance of getting into uni or getting a job) simply for being a minority?

If any of you has a story regarding this topic and don't want to post anything in the comments - please message me in private, I would love to hear you out.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by honablee
I know America has pretty big issue with affirmative action and quotas regarding how many % of each minority gets admitted to each uni or even a job (just read Michael Wang's "Students For Fair Admission v.s. Harvard" story).

However, I was wondering if any student from UK felt or had issues in the past regarding being discriminated in your college-admission process or feeling indiscriminated (having a better chance of getting into uni or getting a job) simply for being a minority?

If any of you has a story regarding this topic and don't want to post anything in the comments - please message me in private, I would love to hear you out.

How would someone involved in the admissions process in the UK identify if an applicant was a member of any minority group?
And we dont have 'college' admissions here.
We have University admissions.

(Please ignore everyone - its spam)
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
And we dont have 'college' admissions here.
We have University admissions.

(Please ignore everyone - its spam)

my bad, changed wording of the question
Original post by Admit-One
How would someone involved in the admissions process in the UK identify if an applicant was a member of any minority group?

Name.
Reply 5

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your question, but I guess you are talking about name? If I am, please do rephrase the question (:
Original post by Paolo3100
Name.

A name doesn't tell me if someone has a disability or serious health condition, or whether they are transgender, non-binary or gender fluid. I can't make an assumption about someone's religion based on their name and even if I could, what am I supposed to say when my work is audited? "Sorry, yeah that person did meet our offer criteria in full but I just decided not to bother."
Sorry if I am misunderstanding your question, but I guess you are talking about name? If I am, please do rephrase the question (:

In the UK, university offers are typically determined by criteria set before the application cycle begins. Most applications probably never even see an academic member of staff and there are very few courses that interview.

My concern is that your question implies that there is some positive or negative bias in the process towards minorities, (or that people might feel that way), but I typically find most people don't know what info is available to admissions staff, or how offer decisions are made.

I would be interested in hearing more about the admissions process in the US, and how this bias is applied.
A name doesn't tell me if someone has a disability or serious health condition, or whether they are transgender, non-binary or gender fluid. I can't make an assumption about someone's religion based on their name and even if I could, what am I supposed to say when my work is audited? "Sorry, yeah that person did meet our offer criteria in full but I just decided not to bother."

No but it indicates sex and ethnicity. Plus decrimination is not logical, someone could see the name Mohammed and assume their Islamic.

Changed gender to *sex
(edited 3 years ago)
Is there a disability support service?
Reply 10
In the UK, university offers are typically determined by criteria set before the application cycle begins. Most applications probably never even see an academic member of staff and there are very few courses that interview.

My concern is that your question implies that there is some positive or negative bias in the process towards minorities, (or that people might feel that way), but I typically find most people don't know what info is available to admissions staff, or how offer decisions are made.

I would be interested in hearing more about the admissions process in the US, and how this bias is applied.

Just google 'affirmative action' or if you want direct articles about it add 'new yorker' to that search and you will find at least three articles on Asian-American discrimination when it came to their applications just based purely on their ethnicity. That case now is called "Students for Fair Admissions v. Harvard". I decided to do this thread because I was curious if there are similar cases to this in UK. And talking about admissions I believe even in UK there must be some quotas how many % of minorities have to get into each workplace/university - at least that's the case in America. You will be surprised to find people on Internet/forums claiming to lie about being gay, bi or (belonging to whatever minority) to get additional diversity points to get the job. That's why this whole affirmative action thing is kinda not helping with the whole equal rights issue for which it was initially created back in the 60s
Reply 11
Original post by tinygirl96
Is there a disability support service?

There probably is but I don't think you will find it in this thread. Sorry if that's not really helpful :?
Just google 'affirmative action' or if you want direct articles about it add 'new yorker' to that search and you will find at least three articles on Asian-American discrimination when it came to their applications just based purely on their ethnicity. That case now is called "Students for Fair Admissions v. Harvard". I decided to do this thread because I was curious if there are similar cases to this in UK. And talking about admissions I believe even in UK there must be some quotas how many % of minorities have to get into each workplace/university - at least that's the case in America. You will be surprised to find people on Internet/forums claiming to lie about being gay, bi or (belonging to whatever minority) to get additional diversity points to get the job. That's why this whole affirmative action thing is kinda not helping with the whole equal rights issue for which it was initially created back in the 60s

Your belief is incorrect. Don't assume that a situation in one country applies in another.
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
Your belief is incorrect. Don't assume that a situation in one country applies in another.

I wasn't saying that it's something I believe is happening here. I just wanted to find out if such situation exists in UK and if anyone has a particular story related to it
I wasn't saying that it's something I believe is happening here. I just wanted to find out if such situation exists in UK and if anyone has a particular story related to it

But that is exactly what you DID say.
Reply 15
Original post by ageshallnot
But that is exactly what you DID say.

Sorry, you are right. I believe that there must be some kind of minority quotas here as well, of course I can be wrong and I only made this thread to find out more about it. By googling 'affirmative action in UK' I found this:

"Section 159 of the Equality Act 2010 allows an employer to treat an applicant or employee with a protected characteristic (eg race, sex or age) more favourably in connection with recruitment or promotion than someone without that characteristic who is as qualified for the role. The employer must reasonably think that people with the protected characteristic suffer a disadvantage or are under-represented in that particular activity. Taking the positive action must be a proportionate means of enabling or encouraging people to overcome the disadvantage or to take part in the activity."
Sorry, you are right. I believe that there must be some kind of minority quotas here as well, of course I can be wrong and I only made this thread to find out more about it. By googling 'affirmative action in UK' I found this:

"Section 159 of the Equality Act 2010 allows an employer to treat an applicant or employee with a protected characteristic (eg race, sex or age) more favourably in connection with recruitment or promotion than someone without that characteristic who is as qualified for the role. The employer must reasonably think that people with the protected characteristic suffer a disadvantage or are under-represented in that particular activity. Taking the positive action must be a proportionate means of enabling or encouraging people to overcome the disadvantage or to take part in the activity."

That is a) not about university, and b) not about quotas.

UK universities follow the guidance of the Schwarz report on fair admissions: https://www.ucas.com/file/233136/download?token=Scfuab79

When it comes to widening access and improving diversity English universities are required to submit an annual Access and Participation Plan explaining how they use additional fee income towards widening access and improving continuation and outcomes for students from various backgrounds. Each university can analyse their stats (along with OfS) to determine which minority groups they should focus their efforts on to improve diversity within their student body. They also set their own strategies and targets which are then signed off by the funding body (without this agreement a university can only charge 2/3 of the full tuition fee). You can read all UK university APPs here: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/the-register/search-for-access-and-participation-plans/#/AccessPlans/
Hi, I know this is a late reply but ive just applied to UCAS 2 days ago my application was finally complete and sent off. I have the legal title on Mx. So its pretty obvious im trans. However, ive alrady got an offer from Exeter. Yep thats right. I applied on the 8th and woke up on the 10th with an offer. So I dont know if this is related or Exeter has a really fast application processing time but none of my freinds heard this quick, infact one is still waiting to hear back from Exeter afte sening an application 4 weeks ago.
Original post by mx.student22
Hi, I know this is a late reply but ive just applied to UCAS 2 days ago my application was finally complete and sent off. I have the legal title on Mx. So its pretty obvious im trans. However, ive alrady got an offer from Exeter. Yep thats right. I applied on the 8th and woke up on the 10th with an offer. So I dont know if this is related or Exeter has a really fast application processing time but none of my freinds heard this quick, infact one is still waiting to hear back from Exeter afte sening an application 4 weeks ago.

There is no reason at all to assume you got a fast reply due to your legal title. It was far far more likely to be due to other reasons as your title should neither help nor hinder your application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending