The Student Room Group

Guys, what are your views on feminist girls?

I personally identify as a true feminist, one who believes in gender equality for both men and women. I know that in some ways men are more privileged than women, and in some ways women are more privileged that men, to put it simply.

I know that there are a lot of extreme “feminists” nowadays who are in fact anti-men. In my eyes, they are not truly advocating for gender equality and therefore aren’t feminists, and are known as feminazis instead. But a lot of people have confused these terms and view any girl who classes as a feminist as a man-hating, evil girl, even though I’d like to think that’s not true. I’ve seen many men saying they don’t wanna date a girl who classes as a feminist, which kind of upsets me, I hope they are just saying that because their ideas on the movement are skewed and they believe we all have the extreme views, in which case I understand why they would think that, but if not and they unferstand it’s simply wanting gender equality, it’s sad to think some men would want a woman who sees herself as inferior to him. So, just wondering would guys date a woman who is a feminist (not a feminazi)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I personally identify as a true feminist, one who believes in gender equality for both men and women. I know that in some ways men are more privileged than women, and in some ways women are more privileged that men, to put it simply.

I know that there are a lot of extreme “feminists” nowadays who are in fact anti-men. In my eyes, they are not truly advocating for gender equality and therefore aren’t feminists, and are known as feminazis instead. But a lot of people have confused these terms and view any girl who classes as a feminist as a man-hating, evil girl, even though I’d like to think that’s not true. I’ve seen many men saying they don’t wanna date a girl who classes as a feminist, which kind of upsets me, I hope they are just saying that because their ideas on the movement are skewed and they believe we all have the extreme views, in which case I understand why they would think that, but if not and they unferstand it’s simply wanting gender equality, it’s sad to think some men would want a woman who sees herself as inferior to him. So, just wondering would guys date a woman who is a feminist (not a feminazi)?

in what ways are women more privileged than men?
Reply 2
Original post by beetrootsalad

Sorry, I shouldn’t have put privileged, I should’ve put that I understand that men also have problems.
Hi there
Well
I guess some men would not mind dating a woman just because she is feminist. And I guess other men would not like to date such a woman.

I am a gay man, so...

I just don't really like feminists in general because many are anti-male.

But if you're pro-male, then that's amazing!

But I would still not date a feminist, even a male feminist.

Could custody be a way? I'm not too sure tbh (just asking btw).

Hi.

Here are a couple ways women are privileged to men:

- Women get to vote at age 18. A man must sign up for the draft (PTSD, die, lose limbs, watch friends die, etc.) in order to have basic rights (vote, driver's license, etc.), or he has to face dire consequences for failing to sign up (prison, up to $250,000 fine, etc.)

- Despite the fact that men make up over 40% to over 50% of domestic abuse victims, there are only two domestic abuse shelters for men in the US alone (Texas and Arkansas), and very few domestic abuse shelters also help men

- Gay men are 5 times more likely to become a victim of a hate crime

- MGM (Male Genit*l Mutilation) is legal, while FGM (Female Genit*l Mutilation) is not

- Trans men are victimized more often than trans women (https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/07/23/op-ed-trans-men-experience-far-more-violence-most-people-assume)

- More

These statistics are from the US, so some may not apply to parts of the UK. But others will.
Not a guy, but if a girl I wanted to date isn't a feminist I'm not gonna put it on me to help her work through her internalized misogyny. If a guy you want to date wants you to "tone down the feminism" or something like that, stay the f*** away from him. If a dude can't be educated enough to understand what feminism is and isn't, he doesn't deserve you.
Some of these replies are disappointing

Then again

Conservative ppl should go with conservative ppl

Modern ppl should go with modern ppl

There’s no point is dating a guy who u find cute but bleeive feminism as an ideology is bad and believes in traditional roles.

There’s plenty of guys out there who don’t want a maid/sex slave or someone pretending to be inferior in order to feel better and feed into the whole men are superior thing

Just as there are women who enjoy being submissive and staying at home of can be bad *****es who stay at home

Point is there’s so many diff types of ppl, even traditional men who aren’t that sexist but just generally very into the family dynamic

Find someone and see how ur morals lay out with eajcother
part of feminism is recognizing that men are disadvantaged in some areas but still due to negative stereotyping of women from a patriarchal society.
(eg. "women have to be nurturing and have to want kids" is a stereotype, but women are prioritized in custody disagreements)
Original post by Acid Kritana
I am a gay man, so...

I just don't really like feminists in general because many are anti-male.

But if you're pro-male, then that's amazing!

But I would still not date a feminist, even a male feminist.

Original post by shak101
You shouldn't worry about what other people think of you or your views - stay true to yourself. That being said, it's absolutely a no from me.

Don’t worry, I’m not changing my views.

May I ask why you wouldn’t date one though, keeping in mind feminists aren’t anti-men?
Don’t worry, I’m not changing my views.

May I ask why you wouldn’t date one though, keeping in mind feminists aren’t anti-men?

While I do understand that many feminists are pro-male, when I hear the word feminist it instantly makes me think of several things, including man-hater.

I am generally also just not attracted to feminists, as well.

However, there may be one or two feminist dudes I find attractive, but I don't think I would date them still.

I am an MRA, and feminist and MRA ideology often disagrees vehementally and often clashes.

I believe that we would be constantly arguing with each other, to be honest.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
Not a guy, but if a girl I wanted to date isn't a feminist I'm not gonna put it on me to help her work through her internalized misogyny. If a guy you want to date wants you to "tone down the feminism" or something like that, stay the f*** away from him. If a dude can't be educated enough to understand what feminism is and isn't, he doesn't deserve you.

That’s very true, if a guy isn’t willing to understand that we don’t hate men, and that it’s actually quite the opposite, I’d question if I really wanna be with him?

Some of these replies are disappointing

Then again

Conservative ppl should go with conservative ppl

Modern ppl should go with modern ppl

There’s no point is dating a guy who u find cute but bleeive feminism as an ideology is bad and believes in traditional roles.

There’s plenty of guys out there who don’t want a maid/sex slave or someone pretending to be inferior in order to feel better and feed into the whole men are superior thing

Just as there are women who enjoy being submissive and staying at home of can be bad *****es who stay at home

Point is there’s so many diff types of ppl, even traditional men who aren’t that sexist but just generally very into the family dynamic

Find someone and see how ur morals lay out with eajcother

I agree, but it’s so silly cause feminists can also be submissive and stay-at-home moms? But definitely people should find someone who has similar views to them.
I just say gender equality to keep things simple.

I'm a 20 year old guy. I'd rather my girlfriend isn't a feminist.
Original post by Imhere2help
Could custody be a way? I'm not too sure tbh (just asking btw).

no it would not
Original post by Alienated.
I just say gender equality to keep things simple.

I also prefer to say that nowadays. People get put off of the word mainly I think.
I would avoid dating one, I can't see myself being with one without us constantly arguing.

I think the problem with the whole movement is the vocal minority who generally hate men "femanazi" have ruined the image for the majority who may generally just want equality and don't hate men. It's because of that feminist now have a negative connotations attached to it, everytime you hear the word feminist you instantly associate it with a man hater.

I'm a radical feminist and my boyfriend loves me and we have a great relationship. It can work!
Reply 19
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
part of feminism is recognizing that men are disadvantaged in some areas but still due to negative stereotyping of women from a patriarchal society.
(eg. "women have to be nurturing and have to want kids" is a stereotype, but women are prioritized in custody disagreements)

You have a strong victim mindset - maybe you could just try to accept the fact that gender roles are a bidirectional thing rather than doing mental gymnastics to try and make everything about the oppression of women? It's not that difficult to just accept that men have problems too and that it really doesn't have anything to do with 'the patriarchy'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending