The Student Room Group

Does a aerospace engineering degree limit you in terms of careers?

Hi
I would like to know whether this degree limits you in terms of jobs and careers?
How easy is it to work on other sectors apart from aerospace and aviation?

I really want to study this course instead of mechanical but having doubts
Can anyone help?
Thank you
Reply 1
If it is accredited by IMechE it should not make a significant difference. In aero you focus obviously on aircraft and space applications whereas mechanical has a broader focus.

Outside of engineering, any job a mech engineer can apply for, an aero engineer can apply for. Inside the engineering field, this is usually the case as well.
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
If it is accredited by IMechE it should not make a significant difference. In aero you focus obviously on aircraft and space applications whereas mechanical has a broader focus.

Outside of engineering, any job a mech engineer can apply for, an aero engineer can apply for. Inside the engineering field, this is usually the case as well.

What if accredited by IOM3?
Should I go for it if I am interested in it?
Reply 3
Original post by User_0192
What if accredited by IOM3?
Should I go for it if I am interested in it?

You'd have to look at the different jobs. The vast majority of companies usually only want an accredited degree of some sorts (if at all), but there are some that do what specific accreditation such as TfL.
Reply 4
Original post by 0le
You'd have to look at the different jobs. The vast majority of companies usually only want an accredited degree of some sorts (if at all), but there are some that do what specific accreditation such as TfL.

So is it a problem if accredited by IOM3?
Reply 5
Original post by User_0192
So is it a problem if accredited by IOM3?

It is an accreditation so why do you think it would be a problem? You seem to have some preconceived notions. What exactly are you doubting about doing aerospace?
Reply 6
Original post by 0le
It is an accreditation so why do you think it would be a problem? You seem to have some preconceived notions. What exactly are you doubting about doing aerospace?

Thanks I just didn’t get a clear answer from before. Sorry about that

The thing I am doubting about is if this accreditation by the IOM3 will cause problems when applying or looking for jobs in the aerospace sector or other jobs like mechanical engineering jobs or jobs in other sectors?

Quick Reply

Latest