The Student Room Group

What do you think of Men's Rights?

You know, the movement.

And I mean real Men's Rights, not the misogynistic anti-MRA trolls pretending to be MRAs.

What do you think about the Men's Rights Movement and Men's Rights?

Scroll to see replies

They seem to spend more time blaming women than actually trying to get anything done.
Original post by Acid Kritana
You know, the movement.

And I mean real Men's Rights, not the misogynistic anti-MRA trolls pretending to be MRAs.

what rights are men lacking exactly?

but to answer your question, not good. I've only ever seen them blame women and feminists for their problem and then never do anything to address those issues or their causes themselves
Reply 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMuzhQXJoY&ab_channel=TEDxTalks

Generally, when people dismiss MRAs it's because they already don't really care about what they have to say, it's a sad state of affairs.
L O L
Original post by DiddyDec
They seem to spend more time blaming women than actually trying to get anything done.

I apologize if it appears that way.

While we do occasionally criticize feminists (NOT women), we do put a large focus on men's rights and issues.

If you would like to know what we're doing/have been doing, just ask and I will give you a small list (to start off with).
I apologize if it appears that way.

While we do occasionally criticize feminists (NOT women), we do put a large focus on men's rights and issues.

If you would like to know what we're doing/have been doing, just ask and I will give you a small list (to start off with).

Gives us a list.
Original post by beetrootsalad
what rights are men lacking exactly?

but to answer your question, not good. I've only ever seen them blame women and feminists for their problem and then never do anything to address those issues or their causes themselves

I will supply a list of rights men are lacking in a moment, but I first would lie to address your second paragraph.

I'm sorry if it appears as if we're blaming women. While a couple MGTOW men translate male oppression wrong and decide to blame women instead of society as a whole (the real problem), most MRAs do not blame women. In fact, around 1/3 to 1/2 of MRAs are female!

I myself have been trying to solve male issues. Some examples:

- "Make a Doodle for International Men's Day!" https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-make-a-doodle-for-international-men-s-day/dashboard?source_location=user_profile_started

- "Get the FBI to change the current definition of r*pe to include all male r*pe victims!" https://www.change.org/p/federal-bureau-of-investigation-get-the-fbi-to-change-the-current-definition-of-rape-to-include-all-male-rape-victims/dashboard?source_location=user_profile_started

- I have been planning to make a domestic abuse shelter for men as well, but it takes longer than one would think.

Other MRAs have done stuff as well.

Now, onto a couple men's issues.

- Only men get drafted

- Despite the fact that over 40 to over 50% of domestic abuse victims are male, there are only two shelters for men in the US alone (Texas and Arkansas), and very few help men as well

- The education system discriminates against boys

- Gay men are 5 times more likely to become a victim of a hate crime

- Trans men are victimized more than trans women (https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/07/23/op-ed-trans-men-experience-far-more-violence-most-people-assume)

More
Original post by browniecat
L O L

Why do you find it funny?
Original post by hajima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMuzhQXJoY&ab_channel=TEDxTalks

Generally, when people dismiss MRAs it's because they already don't really care about what they have to say, it's a sad state of affairs.

Very much agreed.

I wish people would try to listen to Men's Rights for once.
Original post by jamesmatteo
Gives us a list.

Alright, I will.

I already said a couple things, but I'll add them to the list as well nonetheless.

- Only men get drafted

- Despite the fact that over 40 to over 50% of domestic abuse victims are male, there are only two shelters for men in the US alone (Texas and Arkansas), and very few help men as well

- Trans men are victimized more than trans women (https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/07/23/op-ed-trans-men-experience-far-more-violence-most-people-assume)

- Men get 63% longer sentences for the same crime and background as a woman

- Men are more than 160% more likely than women to get convicted

- The gender bias favoring women is 6 times bigger than the racial bias favoring whites

- 4 out of 5 American suicides are male

- 98 to 97 men commit suicide every day in America

- 2 out of 3 college students are male

- But women are the ones who get scholarships because of their gender (even trans women)

- More

If you want more proof, I will give you more proof.
I will supply a list of rights men are lacking in a moment, but I first would lie to address your second paragraph.

I'm sorry if it appears as if we're blaming women. While a couple MGTOW men translate male oppression wrong and decide to blame women instead of society as a whole (the real problem), most MRAs do not blame women. In fact, around 1/3 to 1/2 of MRAs are female!

- "Make a Doodle for International Men's Day!" https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-make-a-doodle-for-international-men-s-day/dashboard?source_location=user_profile_started

- "Get the FBI to change the current definition of r*pe to include all male r*pe victims!" https://www.change.org/p/federal-bureau-of-investigation-get-the-fbi-to-change-the-current-definition-of-rape-to-include-all-male-rape-victims/dashboard?source_location=user_profile_started

- I have been planning to make a domestic abuse shelter for men as well, but it takes longer than one would think.

- Only men get drafted

More

I assume you are American.
Reply 12
Alright, I will.

I already said a couple things, but I'll add them to the list as well nonetheless.

- Only men get drafted

No one gets drafted here.. Women do get drafted in several countries with conscription though. Like Israel, Sweden, Norway et al.

How so?

Certainly a novel point. Given the exceptional nature of it though and the tiny numbers involved its hard to justify it as an issue of 'mens rights'. Not least because it falls under trans rights.

- Men get 63% longer sentences for the same crime and background as a woman

- Men are more than 160% more likely than women to get convicted

Whilst certainly a problem how is this an issue of rights?

- 4 out of 5 American suicides are male

- 98 to 97 men commit suicide every day in America

This is a valuable point but not one of rights. Merely of societal stigma surrounding mental health.

- Only men get drafted

More

In answer to some of these things. No one gets drafted in this country. People choose to go into the services. And as of a year or so ago, the SAS now accept female candidates.
How does education discriminate against boys? I understand that outcomes for boys are lower than girls, but that has happened relatively recently. Certainly through the 90s, boys out performed girls in maths for example. That has now reversed. Is it because boys are being denied in education or is something else going on?
Are gay men victims of hate crime because they are men, or is it perhaps something else?
Are trans women victimised because they were men or is it perhaps something else?

One thing that did used to be an issue was paternity rights for men and also the assumption that women would get custody of their children in the event of a break up. Both of these issues have now been addressed by recent changes in the law.

So, just exactly where are the rights deficits for men that are so pressing they subvert us?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
One thing that did used to be an issue was paternity rights for men and also the assumption that women would get custody of their children in the event of a break up. Both of these issues have now been addressed by recent changes in the law.

What changes have occured?

To be fair it's very little different to the mirror, let's be honest.

You know, the movement.

I think we need to start viewing people as people not group indenity however we seem incapable of doing this. BTW you are going to get mullered on here daring to say boys/men are discriminated against.

Mental health, conrolling partners and ingrained prejudice is the largest issue for men. The laws have been changed the society that interprets and enforces those laws hasn't changed.

What do I think?

I think women have issues and although much more supported by their own gender (who is on the side of the "sisterhood") and society in general, they have different hurdles to overcome men have to tackle.

I think men have issues and society isnt fair to them
think, get a lack of support from society and their own gender is often against them concerned with making things better for women.

I think men have an easier ride into certain professions and have less issues in gaining certain progressions, however consistently live on the edge of a black hole that could swallow them whole and often dont have enough support strings to keep them fro falling into it.

But as a whole I think it's a losing battle, I believe mens rights and needs is a century away from being addressed. It's a crazy world
Original post by Burton Bridge
To be fair it's very little different to the mirror, let's be honest.

Without a doubt.
I assume you are American.

Yes, I am.
What changes have occured?

Before the rules changed, it was assumed women would take the full maternity role. They therefore received maternity benefit for 33 weeks(ish). There was no possibility of women forfeiting this right, returning to work and allowing the man to stay at home and then receive the same benefit. That has now changed and couples can choose who stays at home to look after the baby and still receive full maternity / paternity benefits / rights.

It also used to be the case that in a divorce or break up, women would automatically get full custardy of their children in a disputed situation. The courts now put the children at the centre of any decision making and assuming neither parent is a nut job, the most likely outcome of any disputed arrangements is for the courts to grant 50/50 custardy between both parents... as it should!
Original post by ByEeek
Before the rules changed, it was assumed women would take the full maternity role. They therefore received maternity benefit for 33 weeks(ish). There was no possibility of women forfeiting this right, returning to work and allowing the man to stay at home and then receive the same benefit. That has now changed and couples can choose who stays at home to look after the baby and still receive full maternity / paternity benefits / rights.

It also used to be the case that in a divorce or break up, women would automatically get full custardy of their children in a disputed situation. The courts now put the children at the centre of any decision making and assuming neither parent is a nut job, the most likely outcome of any disputed arrangements is for the courts to grant 50/50 custardy between both parents... as it should!

Having been a child in a custody battle I don't have a lot of faith in that system if cafcass are still involved. Also 50/50 can be incredibly damaging depending on how it is done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending