The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics and Economic History - 2021

Hey guys, since there was no thread yet for 2021 LSE Economics and Economic History applicants I decided to start one. Just wanted to know the grades of the applicants and how much economic history they put in their personal statement. My IGCSE results were 7A*, and A level Predicted grades are 4A* (Maths, Economics, History, Physics). I put in a para on economic history and tied it to my research article in Economics, however, my overall ps aligns well with the course description given on the lse website page.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I will apply next week.
A Levels - A*A*AAA (Math, Eco, Physics, Psychology, English)
AS - AAAB (Math, Eco, Psych, Physics)
IGCSE - 4A* 4As 1B
I put a little about Econ History.
(edited 3 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Great, did you put in one paragraph or did you constantly talk about it?
I put off one sentence bro. What about you? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
i will be sending my application next week

A-levels predicted AAA(maths economics accounts)
gcse 7A 2B 1C

my ps has 4 paras. 1 is on econ history rest 2 are intro and ending and one is econ,maths little bit and work experience. both topics were well connected throughout.

long shot😂😂
Good luck man. When should i expect a result from them?
very few offers come in December and some in January and majority come in February march. they promise that by march all offers would be sent.
Hey guys, I applied a couple of weeks back for this course. I have a few sentences on Economic History in my PS, but since the rest of the courses I am applying for is pure Economics, I couldn't put too much.

I am currently an EU student in the IB and got predicted:
HL - 776 (Mathematics AA, Economics, English A)
SL - 776 (Physics, History, Spanish B)
My total is 43 with 3 bonus points in TOK/EE (A/A).

Honestly pretty nervous considering offers take so long to come out.😅
Original post by ririririring
Hey guys, I applied a couple of weeks back for this course. I have a few sentences on Economic History in my PS, but since the rest of the courses I am applying for is pure Economics, I couldn't put too much.

I am currently an EU student in the IB and got predicted:
HL - 776 (Mathematics AA, Economics, English A)
SL - 776 (Physics, History, Spanish B)
My total is 43 with 3 bonus points in TOK/EE (A/A).

Honestly pretty nervous considering offers take so long to come out.😅

I would not worry too much. All of us are pretty much in the same situation because I have not found anybody who has put 50% Economics and 50% Economic History in their personal statement. I really do not know how much emphasis will they put on our grades as compared to the personal statement.
Original post by orangepapaya
I would not worry too much. All of us are pretty much in the same situation because I have not found anybody who has put 50% Economics and 50% Economic History in their personal statement. I really do not know how much emphasis will they put on our grades as compared to the personal statement.

I hear usually LSE emphasizes the PS heavily compared to other factors. But for this course, I am not so sure. I remember going to one of their PS classes last year and they were very insistent on finding 'special and unique' individuals.
Has anybody ever seen the ps of a successful economics and economic history applicant and seen how much economic history they have put in their personal statement?
Yep. Her personal statement was 50/50 econ to econ history. Lse do want a 50/50 ratio. It’s a very competitive course so I presume they filter out people who don’t do a 50/50. I could be wrong though.
Original post by Ferrari08
And then they’ll extend their deadline to may/June just to reject u in the last week. Trust me I’ve experienced this bs.

Original post by matattsrchat
very few offers come in December and some in January and majority come in February march. they promise that by march all offers would be sent.

Are you sure some offers come in December?
Original post by Fredrick111111
Are you sure some offers come in December?

i saw somewhere on tsr and lse says 12weeks so people who applied in the very beginning of September opening they should be getting reply by December.
Stats:
IGCSEs: 99999888888A* A(Further Maths GCSE)
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A (Economics, History, Maths, Further Maths) respectively

My personal statement is really strong,however, mostly straight economics and a few sentences on economic history. Im thinking the fact that my personal statement has so little economic history will mean that I won't get an offer. But this course is unique to LSE so maybe they don't expect much economic history. What are people's thoughts on my chances/ weighing of applications generally.
I honestly dont know because I am also in a similar situation. I feel my ps is really strong but it is mostly economics and yes ig you are right about the course being super specific to lse. I tihnk they will look at subject combinations as the first thing, then grades, and once kids have been filtered on that it will come down to the ps
grades: 10 grade 9s + 1 grade 8. predicted A*A*A* (maths, econ, history)
i also applied to his and econ joint honours at another uni so i did write about econ history quite a bit (probs around 40-50%). but i've also got some explicit references to just history so idk if that will count against me. i applied beginning of oct and haven't heard back yet. have they started making offers?
I'm a gap yearer so I've already achieved my grades:
6A*s 2As and a B at GCSE, 2A*s and an A at A-Level
Applying to straight econ everywhere else (Warwick, StA, Durham, Bristol)
Original post by hapaxlegomenon27
grades: 10 grade 9s + 1 grade 8. predicted A*A*A* (maths, econ, history)
i also applied to his and econ joint honours at another uni so i did write about econ history quite a bit (probs around 40-50%). but i've also got some explicit references to just history so idk if that will count against me. i applied beginning of oct and haven't heard back yet. have they started making offers?

They won't give out offers until the UCAS deadline has passed. Besides most offers are given out in late March so still a while yet...
Which other unis and courses have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending