The Student Room Group

Revision Books

hi i'm thinking of getting some revision books and wondering what the best ones are. Any recommendations?
English lang and lit: AQA
Phys, Bio and Chem: AQA
Maths: Edexcel
History: Edexcel
French: AQA
(Sorry just putting my exam boards for the subjects I want them for)
For English i would definitely recommend getting the CGP books. For History the Pearson edexcel book is the best but you'd need to get separate books for each topic and as for maths I haven't actually got the book yet but a lot of people have recommended for me to get the CGP edexcel book.
Have you checked on Amazon? You can find a lot of books on there. Alternatively you can look at what is available in your local bookshop. Another top tip, also remember to check out the official company website in addition, you can then view the range of textbooks on there. Some times the company even might let you have some newly released textbooks for free (you can email or phone them up first to check for sure though). This is a pretty long shot but have you ever been to a weekly local car boot sale on a Sunday morning as you might be able to find some unwanted textbooks that way. Often people like to get rid of their old textbooks on Facebook Marketplace or if you are a active member of a student revision group, you might have luck finding books. Try it and see what happens as a result.
Reply 3
Original post by x.bqueen.x
For English i would definitely recommend getting the CGP books. For History the Pearson edexcel book is the best but you'd need to get separate books for each topic and as for maths I haven't actually got the book yet but a lot of people have recommended for me to get the CGP edexcel book.

Thank you thats really helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
Have you checked on Amazon? You can find a lot of books on there. Alternatively you can look at what is available in your local bookshop. Another top tip, also remember to check out the official company website in addition, you can then view the range of textbooks on there. Some times the company even might let you have some newly released textbooks for free (you can email or phone them up first to check for sure though). This is a pretty long shot but have you ever been to a weekly local car boot sale on a Sunday morning as you might be able to find some unwanted textbooks that way. Often people like to get rid of their old textbooks on Facebook Marketplace or if you are a active member of a student revision group, you might have luck finding books. Try it and see what happens as a result.

Thank you. I'll give all of these a go :smile:
You might also want to check in your local charity shops in case. Another good way to find used textbooks is when you visit family and friend’s properties for any reason. Look at their bookshelves after getting permission to do so. Also you can see if your university library has any old unused textbooks to loan you.
Or talk to your lecturer about recommendations. It is worth a shot at least. Try to look on a couple of popular book review sites like GoodReads or Book Depository in addition, and also investigate your local library on top of that. And remember that garden centres often sell cheap books at very reasonable prices to people, have a careful look to see what is available and then purchase sparingly. Other recommended surefire ways of finding textbooks include directly contacting publishing companies to ask for a complete list or catalogue of books.
Original post by Vickie175
hi i'm thinking of getting some revision books and wondering what the best ones are. Any recommendations?
English lang and lit: AQA
Phys, Bio and Chem: AQA
Maths: Edexcel
History: Edexcel
French: AQA
(Sorry just putting my exam boards for the subjects I want them for)

sorry for throwing a spanner in the works but I really would not recommend cgp for English text guides unless you want to get a 6 or below as they're not amazing or detailed enough. this is what I would recommend/ what I use

Physics, Bio, Chem: CGP is amazing. Ask any gcse student they're basically The Science GCSE Bibles. They are detailed and amazing and the workbooks can be rlly good as well (if you're working towards 8s and 9s I rlly recommend the targeted workbook as they cover the kinds of questions which ppl normally get stumped on in an exam and can make or break a grade.

For English literature: For each of your texts get the Yorknotes guide- they're amazing and in lots of detail and will bound to get you a high grade. the litcharts stuff can also be amazing but you have to pay a lot for the teacher guide as well as the student one (and the teacher one is rlly great) but you can find pdfs of them all here https://academichub.ru/ So yh just get the Yorknotes and download these pdfs. I would however also recommend the CGP general english literature guide just not their individual text guides (e.g. their macbeth one)

English language: ummmmm. The general CGP English language guides are good so i'd get that and the Mr Bruff's guide to english language is also v v good. i don't have any other suggestions for english language so lemme know if you find anything else which is good!

Maths: this one is hard because it's not so much the concepts as practice questions but again the CGP guides are good and also the revise edexcel gcse (9-1) mathematics revision guide is good but I would mostly just recommend practice questions.

History: no idea sorry- don't do history but ig u could take a gamble with the cgp one but idk sorry

French: I don't do french - I do spanish but instead of a revision book i'd recommend instead making a booklet yourself of all the grammar/verb tables or make posters of the harder ones and stick them around your room so you learn them because you always see them and then making a quizlet or something with the vocab. if you're struggling the CGP complete revision guide is good.

Sorry if this was confusing - let me know if you want me to clarify anything. the only other thing I would say is that although one revision book is like £6 the cost quickly escalates so I would reallllllyyyy advise getting as many as possible second hand, depop is great as i bought all of mine on it and they're all in great condition for half the price! ebay isn't so good though for second hand books - less reliable. Hope this helps xx
Reply 7
Original post by isobeln
sorry for throwing a spanner in the works but I really would not recommend cgp for English text guides unless you want to get a 6 or below as they're not amazing or detailed enough. this is what I would recommend/ what I use

Physics, Bio, Chem: CGP is amazing. Ask any gcse student they're basically The Science GCSE Bibles. They are detailed and amazing and the workbooks can be rlly good as well (if you're working towards 8s and 9s I rlly recommend the targeted workbook as they cover the kinds of questions which ppl normally get stumped on in an exam and can make or break a grade.

For English literature: For each of your texts get the Yorknotes guide- they're amazing and in lots of detail and will bound to get you a high grade. the litcharts stuff can also be amazing but you have to pay a lot for the teacher guide as well as the student one (and the teacher one is rlly great) but you can find pdfs of them all here https://academichub.ru/ So yh just get the Yorknotes and download these pdfs. I would however also recommend the CGP general english literature guide just not their individual text guides (e.g. their macbeth one)

English language: ummmmm. The general CGP English language guides are good so i'd get that and the Mr Bruff's guide to english language is also v v good. i don't have any other suggestions for english language so lemme know if you find anything else which is good!

Maths: this one is hard because it's not so much the concepts as practice questions but again the CGP guides are good and also the revise edexcel gcse (9-1) mathematics revision guide is good but I would mostly just recommend practice questions.

History: no idea sorry- don't do history but ig u could take a gamble with the cgp one but idk sorry

French: I don't do french - I do spanish but instead of a revision book i'd recommend instead making a booklet yourself of all the grammar/verb tables or make posters of the harder ones and stick them around your room so you learn them because you always see them and then making a quizlet or something with the vocab. if you're struggling the CGP complete revision guide is good.

Sorry if this was confusing - let me know if you want me to clarify anything. the only other thing I would say is that although one revision book is like £6 the cost quickly escalates so I would reallllllyyyy advise getting as many as possible second hand, depop is great as i bought all of mine on it and they're all in great condition for half the price! ebay isn't so good though for second hand books - less reliable. Hope this helps xx

Hi! Thanks so much for all these recommendations (very good ones I might add). I was absolutely stumped as I'm literally getting no help from my school on this matter. This really helped. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest