The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Nightlife at Bath

Just wondering what the nightlife is like at the University of Bath campus, as well as in the city- is there a lot to do? Are there good nightclubs etc.?
Original post by alisha.h
Just wondering what the nightlife is like at the University of Bath campus, as well as in the city- is there a lot to do? Are there good nightclubs etc.?

I replied to your other post as well about racial diversity.
No! Don't go to Bath if you want nightlife, there are many better universities for it. There isn't a lot to do as Bath isn't very big. If you want racial diversity, if you want good social spaces, go to Bristol, Birmingham, most London unis, just to name a few.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by DoNotMove
I replied to your other post as well about racial diversity.
No! Don't go to Bath if you want nightlife, there are many better universities for it. There isn't a lot to do as Bath isn't very big. If you want racial diversity, if you want good social spaces, go to Bristol, Birmingham, most London unis, just to name a few.

thanks for both replies- I was aware it is a very white area i was just curious as to whether there are non-white students from the UK, its not a huge issue to me. I have heard there are some bars/ nightclubs and bristol is only 12 mins away which is fine. The course i am applying for isn't offered at many unis (not at Bristol, Birmingham, most are out of London aswell)
thanks for both replies- I was aware it is a very white area i was just curious as to whether there are non-white students from the UK, its not a huge issue to me. I have heard there are some bars/ nightclubs and bristol is only 12 mins away which is fine. The course i am applying for isn't offered at many unis (not at Bristol, Birmingham, most are out of London aswell)

Bristol isn't really 12 minutes away. You have to get the uni bus from your accommodation to the station, and then wait for a train, and then either walk or get the bus to the centre of Bristol (I live in Bath and go to Bristol Uni, yesterday it took me 2 hours to get there). Then there's the issue of the fact the last train is around 11 and if you're drunk after a night out you're hardly going to be keeping an eye on the time. You can of course get the bus back to Bath but it takes an hour and they're very irregular late at night and only run until about 1am or so. I'm not trying to put you off going to Bath but getting to Bristol is not fun!
Original post by DoNotMove
Bristol isn't really 12 minutes away. You have to get the uni bus from your accommodation to the station, and then wait for a train, and then either walk or get the bus to the centre of Bristol (I live in Bath and go to Bristol Uni, yesterday it took me 2 hours to get there). Then there's the issue of the fact the last train is around 11 and if you're drunk after a night out you're hardly going to be keeping an eye on the time. You can of course get the bus back to Bath but it takes an hour and they're very irregular late at night and only run until about 1am or so. I'm not trying to put you off going to Bath but getting to Bristol is not fun!

Ok- in the virtual open day yesterday it was said that Bristol is 12 mins away, but thanks for clearing that up
Get a bath with the lights off mate and a Heineken

Hi Alisha,

I am a final year student at Bath, now living in Bristol, so hopefully I can help since I've lived in both :smile:

Bath has 2 universities, so there are quite a few clubs that play a wide range of different music genres, such as Komedia, Moles, Second Bridge, and Po Na Na. The clubs are fairly small, but better than in a lot of ones in smaller cities as Bath is a student city so they do have some small-mid sized clubs. The biggest club is Komedia, which is a converted theatre, but there aren't any huge clubs. Most people get the train to Bristol for a bigger night out - this is from the city centre, so you'd also have to get a bus down if you lived on campus, but there's another train station in Oldfield where most students live in 2nd year onwards. The train itself takes about 12-15 minutes, so it's not long at all.

I've lived in both Bath and Bristol, so I have a good idea of the nightlife in both. The nightlife in Bath is good and most people I know really enjoy it, but if you're into/used to big clubs (i.e. London or Manchester) then you may find Bath nightlife a bit too small. I personally enjoy raves and big clubs more, with less of a student vibe, so I prefer Bristol BUT I did enjoy Bath's nightlife during my 1st and 2nd year. However, loads of my friends absolutely love the smaller, more student-y vibe of Bath. It really depends on your personal preference!

The city itself is obviously a bit smaller than somewhere like Bristol or London, but it is also a big tourism city so there is a lot to do. There's several cinemas, really good shops, some theatres, a few museums and beautiful outdoor spaces. Again, Bristol is only 15 mins away by train so it is easy to pop over for bigger museums or live music.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you need any more help :smile:
Jessica, a final year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending