The Student Room Group

Is it worth becoming a black cab driver

I know a few black cab drivers that told me it's not worth it. But then again that's what they always say to protect their trade. I'm thinking of doing the knowledge but based on what people tell me, seems like they can just about cover their bills. I do like driving and black cabbing seems like a great job for me, but is it worth the time? Am I better off spending my time doing something else? I do know London sort of ok, but I know east and South East London quite well (still would need to practise)
Reply 1
You’d have to pass the knowledge test first, I suggest you look this up as it involves memorising pretty much every street in London, it apparently takes 3-4 years to complete.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/licensing/learn-the-knowledge-of-london
Original post by TheDE
You’d have to pass the knowledge test first, I suggest you look this up as it involves memorising pretty much every street in London, it apparently takes 3-4 years to complete.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/licensing/learn-the-knowledge-of-london

Seems like too much effort for what it is. I think I'll be better off doing something else
This is a wind up right? You pretty much just passed and still lack lots of basic knowledge and common sense about roads, you are like the opposite of a taxi driver :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
This is a wind up right? You pretty much just passed and still lack lots of basic knowledge and common sense about roads, you are like the opposite of a taxi driver :tongue:

Dunno like, around here they just throw a badge at anyone who wants one.. even the ones who really shouldn't have one for..... reasons......
Original post by IWMTom
Dunno like, around here they just throw a badge at anyone who wants one.. even the ones who really shouldn't have one for..... reasons......

I was thinking just for London Black hacks, but yeah I suppose the family would fit right in with minicabbing :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
This is a wind up right? You pretty much just passed and still lack lots of basic knowledge and common sense about roads

Sounds like every Uber driver I've ever had.
I have never seen a group so ill-suited to being on the roads in any capacity as Uber drivers.
Original post by Drewski
Sounds like every Uber driver I've ever had.

Again though, isn't that the opposite end of the theoretical taxi driver scale compared to London Hacks? I don;t even live in England and I know they expect several years dedicated 'Knowledge'.
Even minicabbing seems like a lot of hassle. A lot of red tape and new rules like only hybrids being able to be licensed.
Reply 10
I was gonna say the crap the OP comes out with is perfect for a cab driver but ‘the knowledge’ is notoriously difficult.
What is it with someone barely passing the most minimum UK driving test then instantly firing into one of the most notoriously hard driving tests in the world?, friggin London/Oxford syndrome :tongue:

Like the OP has already asked 'I'm a dodgy driver, can I work for takeaways/uber/deliveroo god knows how many times, but no, apparently now we're going straight to 'hardest driving test in the world' :tongue:

Thank god I don't drive in the same country :tongue:
I often use taxis because I don't have my own car yet. My job involves moving and sometimes I don't have time for the subway or the tram. I use taxis about 2-3 times a day (for me it's quite a lot). Recently, like most people, I started riding an uber. Before that I read uber reviews and I really liked them so I now use only this transport
(edited 3 years ago)
I also use uber everytime
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending