The Student Room Group

Worried about having mental health

I occasionally get moody easily or I worry about general stuff such as future for example. I’m just worried I might have anxiety or depression or something wrong with me. I have been very worried that that I might be mentally ill, I’m petrified to see someone because it’s so embarrassing to have it and I’m not weak , my family are about being tough, they are known for boxing, fighting and everything but being a depressed or anxious wreck is being weak. My uncle is short but he never sat around and get depressed or self conscious about it he embraced it like a man and that’s what I should do anyone with mental health should do for that matter imo instead of relying on a doctor to make them better.

I am hoping for the best and trying to ignore it but I just don’t know what to do because sometimes I just can’t get out of this stupid mood. Also people have said to me it’s not embarrassing to have mental health but it clearly is I don’t care whatever people say mental health is embarrassing and it’s clearly a bad thing not good. I don’t understand how it isn’t embarrassing.

My family always brought me me up to be my own person and be natural so your mood should come naturally so I shouldn’t rely on a gp or whatever and I agree with it because you are not going to have them holding your hand all your life. I definitely agree that it is embarrassing to have mental health, so do my family and my friends. I’m doing this post for attention this is generally my opinion and everything I I sometimes get upset easily or worried about general stuff, future life and everything. I have seen other people on YouTube feeling the same and they were saying they have depression or might have anxiety etc. I just am very scared that I might have it, I’m too scared to see because it’s really embarrassing to have it and it’s being a pussy, my family are about being thought like, they are known for boxing, fighting and everything. My uncle himself fought some guy who were tall, my uncle is short he’s 5ft 2 but he never sat around and get depressed or self conscious about it he embraced it like a man and that’s what I should do anyone with mental health should do for that matter imo instead of relying on a doctor to make them better. I am trying and hoping for the best and trying to ignore it but I just don’t know what to do because sometimes I just can’t get out of this stupid mood. Also people have said to me it’s not embarrassing to have mental health but if it’s not embarrassing then what is it because it’s clearly a bad thing not good. Also my family always taught me to be my own person and be natural so your mood should come naturally so I shouldn’t rely on a doctor or whatever to be happy and I agree with. I genuinely agree that it is embarrassing to have mental health and so do my family. I’m not doing this post to seek attention this is generally my opinion and everything I said is serious, I know other people have other opinions which they can but if I had a friend or family member with mental health issues I wouldn’t want to associate with them because they need to grow up a bit also me and I always have seen people use mental health issues as an excuse for stuff.

I just wanted to talk on here. Maybe I need to stop being man up a bit but like I said above now and again I am just upset then cant stop being a wimp or whatever. I just want this wimp mood to stop because people are starting to think I’m depressed already and I need to prove people wrong that I’m a normal sane person because like I say I had a friend or family member with mental health issues I wouldn’t want to associate with them.
Yeah I mean I think anxiety and depression are over medicalised all the time - its not like you just "catch" anxiety like a cold or something. Everyone has quite a high degree of control over their mental health. So don't worry if you do or don't have anxiety/ depression cos I don't think your mindset and temperament and outlook on life can be simplified down to just that.

Its rly normal to get anxious abt the future - it doesn't mean ur crazy or anything, and some people naturally have temperaments which make them dwell on things more than other ppl.

There's lots of ways to naturally keep ur mood up, like having a regular sleep schedule, not drinking too much if it puts u in a bad mental state etc...

you don't have to label yourself with some random mental health disorder just cos u feel bad/down, just talk to someone about the actual, practical problems ur facing and try and go out and have a laugh w/ friends
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I mean I think anxiety and depression are over medicalised all the time - its not like you just "catch" anxiety like a cold or something. Everyone has quite a high degree of control over their mental health. So don't worry if you do or don't have anxiety/ depression cos I don't think your mindset and temperament and outlook on life can be simplified down to just that.

Its rly normal to get anxious abt the future - it doesn't mean ur crazy or anything, and some people naturally have temperaments which make them dwell on things more than other ppl.

There's lots of ways to naturally keep ur mood up, like having a regular sleep schedule, not drinking too much if it puts u in a bad mental state etc...

you don't have to label yourself with some random mental health disorder just cos u feel bad/down, just talk to someone about the actual, practical problems ur facing and try and go out and have a laugh w/ friends

Yes
Everyone has mental health just like everyone has physical health.

Sounds like you have a lot of internalised issues with masculinity and perceived weakness. This is further reinforced by the fact you repeat yourself trying to justify why you shouldn't go to a doctor and why you perceive others to be stronger than you.

If you don't want to see a GP then don't, they can only help if you want to be helped.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Everyone has mental health just like everyone has physical health.

Sounds like you have a lot of internalised issues with masculinity and perceived weakness. This is further reinforced by the fact you repeat yourself trying to justify why you shouldn't go to a doctor and why you perceive others to be stronger than you.

If you don't want to see a GP then don't, they can only help if you want to be helped.

Yes but mental health as in depression or anxiety so like mental health problems
Original post by Anonymous
Yes but mental health as in depression or anxiety so like mental health problems

It is important not to confuse mental health with mental health disorders. Taking care of your mental health is just as important as physical health.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
It is important not to confuse mental health with mental health disorders. Taking care of your mental health is just as important as physical health.

Yes I know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending