The Student Room Group

Dye hair

Hey,
I have black hair that is rly thick and about half an inch after my shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions for what colour/colours I should dye it. It would be great if you could attach some examples. Also if you could recommend a cheap but good hair dye as I am doing it at home.
Thank youuuuuu
Did you want to use permanent or semi-permanent dye? Schwarzkopf live is the least messy semi permanent one so far - keep in mind that they don't provide plastic gloves rn because of corona! I haven't used many permanent dyes - just a Schwarzkopf one and garnier and both are good.

Are you dyeing the whole hair or just the ends? I wouldn't suggest bleaching up to the scalp at home because it can be really damaging and your scalp can peel off, especially if it's black hair where you'd have to bleach it twice to get a vibrant colour (I've done that ombre style at home and it's so damaging).

If you're bleaching, I'd suggest Jerome Russel - it's a really reliable brand.

If you are only dyeing half your hair, pretty much any colour would suit you as any colour goes with black. I have black hair and I've ombred to red, pink, blue and purple! What's your complexion?
Reply 2
Original post by pancakesbob7
Did you want to use permanent or semi-permanent dye? Schwarzkopf live is the least messy semi permanent one so far - keep in mind that they don't provide plastic gloves rn because of corona! I haven't used many permanent dyes - just a Schwarzkopf one and garnier and both are good.

Are you dyeing the whole hair or just the ends? I wouldn't suggest bleaching up to the scalp at home because it can be really damaging and your scalp can peel off, especially if it's black hair where you'd have to bleach it twice to get a vibrant colour (I've done that ombre style at home and it's so damaging).

If you're bleaching, I'd suggest Jerome Russel - it's a really reliable brand.

If you are only dyeing half your hair, pretty much any colour would suit you as any colour goes with black. I have black hair and I've ombred to red, pink, blue and purple! What's your complexion?

I was thinking of dying half of my hair semi permanently. I’m kinda inbetween tanned and brown. I’ll have a look at these brands right now thank you sooo much I had no clue what to do😂
Original post by Spencer5567
I was thinking of dying half of my hair semi permanently. I’m kinda inbetween tanned and brown. I’ll have a look at these brands right now thank you sooo much I had no clue what to do😂

Just as a small tip, bleach your hair slightly lighter than the shade you want, then dye it - hopefully it will turn out okay without any brassiness! You're welcome and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Just as a small tip, bleach your hair slightly lighter than the shade you want, then dye it - hopefully it will turn out okay without any brassiness! You're welcome and good luck :smile:

Okay I’ll defos do that ty soo much for your help I hope I don’t mess it up😂
Okay I’ll defos do that ty soo much for your help I hope I don’t mess it up😂

Welcome...kepp me updated!
Reply 6
Welcome...kepp me updated!

I will I just have one more question😂 I’ve decided to Semi-permanently dye my hair ombre in a lilac colour, do I have to bleach it first or do I just do it?
I will I just have one more question😂 I’ve decided to Semi-permanently dye my hair ombre in a lilac colour, do I have to bleach it first or do I just do it?

Wowwww it’ll look so nice!!

You said you have black hair so you will need to bleach it before you apply pretty much any colour.

Lilac is a pastel colour, so you'll have to bleach it to quite a light blonde....be very careful it's v likely that your hair will snap of at the ends (it's done that for me, it's not as bad as it sounds - your hair just goes very dry). To dye black hair any colour you'll have to bleach it I'm afraid. I'd suggest using olaplex or pureplex (from superdrug) after bleaching. Just wondering which brand of dye you're gonna be using?

Quick Reply

Latest