The Student Room Group

University of Sheffield A101 2021 Entry

Welcome to the University of Sheffield A101 2021 Entry Discussion.

Sheffield A101 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022636

For general information click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying

For entry requirements click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/graduateentry

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi All! I was wondering if anyone could help me on how credible my application would be for the A101 course. I do meet the widening background criterion in terms of the area I lived in and the progression into higher ed statistics. I achieved ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Biology A-Levels and 11 GCSES all at A*/A grade. I am aiming to graduate with a first class Medical Physiology BSc degree in January. The problem is that I went to a private school (on a full scholarship) and I don't know whether this will disadvantage my application. Any advice will be appreciated and good luck to everybody applying this year!!
Original post by ASY1997
Hi All! I was wondering if anyone could help me on how credible my application would be for the A101 course. I do meet the widening background criterion in terms of the area I lived in and the progression into higher ed statistics. I achieved ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Biology A-Levels and 11 GCSES all at A*/A grade. I am aiming to graduate with a first class Medical Physiology BSc degree in January. The problem is that I went to a private school (on a full scholarship) and I don't know whether this will disadvantage my application. Any advice will be appreciated and good luck to everybody applying this year!!

I don't think it will - you meet the criteria and to be honest, a lower socioeconomic background can still be a disadvantage even if you go to a poncified school. I did my A levels at a grammar school and whilst I fit in quite well there in terms of my personality and ability, I still didn't do as well as I should have done because of problems outside of school. You didn't have to pay to go there but it was still overwhelmingly populated by kids from wealthy middle class families.

I would also like to introduce myself to this group as I received an offer this year but have deferred until 2021 (expecting a baby this September). Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications and looking forward to meeting some of you next year 😀
Original post by BoilingMarmalade
I don't think it will - you meet the criteria and to be honest, a lower socioeconomic background can still be a disadvantage even if you go to a poncified school. I did my A levels at a grammar school and whilst I fit in quite well there in terms of my personality and ability, I still didn't do as well as I should have done because of problems outside of school. You didn't have to pay to go there but it was still overwhelmingly populated by kids from wealthy middle class families.

I would also like to introduce myself to this group as I received an offer this year but have deferred until 2021 (expecting a baby this September). Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications and looking forward to meeting some of you next year 😀

Can't even imagine studying medicine with a new baby. Good luck.
Reply 4
I might be being really stupid but I meet the Widening Participation requirements as being disadvantaged/ low socioeconomic area/ academics but what are the academic entry requirements for the Widening Participation scheme? I’ve had a look but can’t wrap my head around it cos’ tired. 😅 Hadn’t considered Sheffield last year but it could be a game changer! Many thanks for the help!
Original post by Bexjw
I might be being really stupid but I meet the Widening Participation requirements as being disadvantaged/ low socioeconomic area/ academics but what are the academic entry requirements for the Widening Participation scheme? I’ve had a look but can’t wrap my head around it cos’ tired. 😅 Hadn’t considered Sheffield last year but it could be a game changer! Many thanks for the help!

The academic requirements for Sheffield A101 are:
BBB at A level, including either chemistry or biology
2.1 in a degree that contains a decent amount of anatomy and physiology, eg biomedical science. If your degree isn't on their list, they can have a look at your transcript and tell you whether or not they'll accept it.
Reply 6
I am a 3rd yr biomed student with ucat 2990 and A levels BBB and intend to apply to A100. It says on admission policy that Sheffield aim to give graduates 10% of places approx . Given other categories offered places eg widening participation and deferrals from this year etc are my chances of being accepted very slim and would I be better off applying to Manchester? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I do nothing else but trawl through forums!😬
Original post by Fablad
I am a 3rd yr biomed student with ucat 2990 and A levels BBB and intend to apply to A100. It says on admission policy that Sheffield aim to give graduates 10% of places approx . Given other categories offered places eg widening participation and deferrals from this year etc are my chances of being accepted very slim and would I be better off applying to Manchester? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I do nothing else but trawl through forums!😬

There are 15 places on the A101 course and over 300 for A100. Your UCAT is excellent and you should certainly meet the cut off for interview. I'm guessing you're applying to A100 because you don't meet the widening participation criteria for A101? Anyhow, I don't know how competitive Manchester is, but I think you'd stand a very good chance of getting an offer for the Sheffield A100 course. You are pretty much guaranteed an interview with that UCAT score and those who are interviewed for A100 usually have a >50% chance of an offer. Graduate applicants tend to have more confidence, are more sure of their chosen career path and often have more experience to draw upon when answering the questions. Thinking back to last year, I think every graduate I came across who applied for A100 received an offer.
Reply 8
There are 15 places on the A101 course and over 300 for A100. Your UCAT is excellent and you should certainly meet the cut off for interview. I'm guessing you're applying to A100 because you don't meet the widening participation criteria for A101? Anyhow, I don't know how competitive Manchester is, but I think you'd stand a very good chance of getting an offer for the Sheffield A100 course. You are pretty much guaranteed an interview with that UCAT score and those who are interviewed for A100 usually have a >50% chance of an offer. Graduate applicants tend to have more confidence, are more sure of their chosen career path and often have more experience to draw upon when answering the questions. Thinking back to last year, I think every graduate I came across who applied for A100 received an offer.

Thank you so much, that’s reassuring. I really like Sheffield but didn’t want to waste 1 of my choices if it was risky. Fingers crossed for 2021!
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to enquire whether anyone has submitted a disrupted studies form with Sheffield? Or whether anyone has any knowledge on it. From what I can find on here, they seem to be quite strict in regards to what satisfies the criteria for the form to be considered.
Original post by charb16
Does anyone have any information on minimum threshold UCAT scores for Sheffield in previous years? I've seen Birmingham and Warwick have both posted information on what the lowest UCAT score was needed for interview in the previous years but i haven't found similar information for Sheffield. I don't know if it's worth applying with a UCAT of 2690. I know for Birmingham/Warwick this is far too low. I meet all other requirements for Sheffield.

The Sheffield A101 course has only been running for a couple of years. In the first cycle, the cut off was 2420 or something. The second year it was just over 2500. Sorry I can't remember the exact numbers, but unless it shoots up this year, your score should be fine.
This forum seems so much quieter this year! Is it wishful thinking that fewer people have applied? :h: Good luck to anyone that has!
It was less busy last year then it was the year before despite a 120% increase in the number of applicants! The year before last was the first year the course was available though, so people had lots of questions. Also, the director of admissions used to come on here too. I've seen a fair bit of interest on the main GEM thread. I expect the conversation on this thread to come alive when interviews start!
You can email them, the worst they can do is say no!

However, I didn't fulfill the A level requirements due to illness and they said they wouldn't consider my application, even with a disrupted studies form and medical evidence. I had to do three more A levels last year to meet the requirements! Based on my experience, I think you will need just try again next year - but there's no harm in asking.

Hi,

Flicking through the page as you do, when waiting for a response. I just wanted to check, did they tell you that your disrupted studies form was not accepted before or after they released the interviews?
Original post by Mr Alchemist
Hi,

Flicking through the page as you do, when waiting for a response. I just wanted to check, did they tell you that your disrupted studies form was not accepted before or after they released the interviews?

I didn't submit a disrupted studies form as I knew it wasn't going to make any difference. Before I applied, I emailed the admissions team to ask if my application would be considered, given my A levels did not meet the requirements, if I submitted a disrupted studies form with medical evidence. The answer was no - all students must meet the required academic standard, disrupted studies or not. However, they do accept resits, so I decided to apply anyway on the grounds that I would complete 3 A levels that year. Had I got an offer that time around, it would have been conditional on achieving BBB.
I didn't submit a disrupted studies form as I knew it wasn't going to make any difference. Before I applied, I emailed the admissions team to ask if my application would be considered, given my A levels did not meet the requirements, if I submitted a disrupted studies form with medical evidence. The answer was no - all students must meet the required academic standard, disrupted studies or not. However, they do accept resits, so I decided to apply anyway on the grounds that I would complete 3 A levels that year. Had I got an offer that time around, it would have been conditional on achieving BBB.

Ohh! Got it :smile:

My situation is a tad different where I got ABB in the end, but resat a year. I emailed them with my reasonining behind it and they advised to submit a disrupted studies form. So im hoping that the lack of a hard no, is a good sign!
Original post by Mr Alchemist
Ohh! Got it :smile:

My situation is a tad different where I got ABB in the end, but resat a year. I emailed them with my reasonining behind it and they advised to submit a disrupted studies form. So im hoping that the lack of a hard no, is a good sign!

Cool, I got ABB too when I did my second lot of A levels last year. Good idea to submit the disrupted studies form if you've been advised to do that, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Hi all
I am in the 84th percentile with regards to UCAT ,do you think I could get an interview offer? predicted A*AA and A in EPQ .
Original post by Laboromniavincit
Hi all
I am in the 84th percentile with regards to UCAT ,do you think I could get an interview offer? predicted A*AA and A in EPQ .

As long as you meet the widening participation requirements, I think you have a very good chance with that percentile. Generally over the previous two years, the minimum UCAT score for an interview at Sheffield has been relatively low. Last year you only needed 2550. I'm also hoping for an interview but my percentile is only 75%. I suppose it depends on the quality of the applicants this year.
Original post by Zopiclois
As long as you meet the widening participation requirements, I think you have a very good chance with that percentile. Generally over the previous two years, the minimum UCAT score for an interview at Sheffield has been relatively low. Last year you only needed 2550. I'm also hoping for an interview but my percentile is only 75%. I suppose it depends on the quality of the applicants this year.

I am not in the widening participation, I go to state grammar
Does that put me in huge disadvantage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending