The Student Room Group

Student Finance and Hardship Funds

I get minimum maintenance loan. But my parents are far from rich. They have lots of outgoings that even I don't understand and are taxed way more. My mum also isn't currently working due to poor health. I get a total of £0 from my parents. Last year I nearly starved until covid hit and I worked my ass off for 6 weeks working at Tescos just to help my scenario. I made great connections and I've reapplied for weekend/xmas shifts now. But even with all that work I am still struggling. I see my monthly rent and bills come out and my heart sinks. I get the cheapest food and my rent is very cheap for the area without me living in a slum. But I'm still going to struggle. I'm scared and miserable, especially since I turn 20 next month but my present money will probably go on rent than anything nice. I'm tired of living like this. I have a partner (my fiance) who helps me out where he can but he's on minimum wage and has a car to pay for (which he had to get in an emergency after his other was written off in an accident which wasn't his fault (confirmed by insurance company)). I'm looking at my university hardship fund form and its stressing me out just looking at it. There's so much information I need to hand over and I don't know how to get some of it. I also don't think I'll be accepted because of this expectation of "oh your parents should just give you money or your husband to be should". I dont want to endure this miserable "life" scraping the barrel and worrying if I can afford a train ticket to see my one motivator (my fiance). Especially when one of my housemates rubs in his richness at me and belittles me because of my scenario. I just don't know what to do and I feel terrible.
Original post by Rain Thorn
I get minimum maintenance loan. But my parents are far from rich. They have lots of outgoings that even I don't understand and are taxed way more. My mum also isn't currently working due to poor health. I get a total of £0 from my parents. Last year I nearly starved until covid hit and I worked my ass off for 6 weeks working at Tescos just to help my scenario. I made great connections and I've reapplied for weekend/xmas shifts now. But even with all that work I am still struggling. I see my monthly rent and bills come out and my heart sinks. I get the cheapest food and my rent is very cheap for the area without me living in a slum. But I'm still going to struggle. I'm scared and miserable, especially since I turn 20 next month but my present money will probably go on rent than anything nice. I'm tired of living like this. I have a partner (my fiance) who helps me out where he can but he's on minimum wage and has a car to pay for (which he had to get in an emergency after his other was written off in an accident which wasn't his fault (confirmed by insurance company)). I'm looking at my university hardship fund form and its stressing me out just looking at it. There's so much information I need to hand over and I don't know how to get some of it. I also don't think I'll be accepted because of this expectation of "oh your parents should just give you money or your husband to be should". I dont want to endure this miserable "life" scraping the barrel and worrying if I can afford a train ticket to see my one motivator (my fiance). Especially when one of my housemates rubs in his richness at me and belittles me because of my scenario. I just don't know what to do and I feel terrible.

The way it is set up your parents are meant to be making up the difference.
If their financial circumstances have changed, i.e job loss, then get a recalculation.
As to whether the hardhsip fund will give you anything, depends on the uni and how much they have.

The situation sounds stressful and disheartening.
I believe if that were me, then I would have suspended studies for this year or suspend them next year, work full time and save up the money so you can go through uni without being in constant fear of debt. Its getting to the stage where its affecting MH , which will affect studies, which you are spending tens of thousands on.
Original post by 999tigger
The way it is set up your parents are meant to be making up the difference.
If their financial circumstances have changed, i.e job loss, then get a recalculation.
As to whether the hardhsip fund will give you anything, depends on the uni and how much they have.

The situation sounds stressful and disheartening.
I believe if that were me, then I would have suspended studies for this year or suspend them next year, work full time and save up the money so you can go through uni without being in constant fear of debt. Its getting to the stage where its affecting MH , which will affect studies, which you are spending tens of thousands on.

My parents dont have the difference. The system doesnt account for their outgoings or income *after tax*. I cant expect them to give me money if they have none. I dont know if I can suspend studies for another year. I dont know if ill be able to manage returning to uni to do my dissertation after a year break, and im considering doing a gap year after 3rd year so i can fund a masters. Im hoping to get rehired at tescos, if I do then things might look up, especially since I genuinely enjoyed who I worked with. I just hope things look up; i feel humiliated every time i cook with my hand me down pots and pans compared to one of my housemates brand new steam cookers. I wear super cheap clothes compared to everyone else I live with. It just sucks because I had no choice in this scenario, even after working my ass off 6 days a week and doing night shifts Im still in this situation again. If it doesnt get better by christmas maybe ill consider deferring. Thank you
My parents dont have the difference. The system doesnt account for their outgoings or income *after tax*. I cant expect them to give me money if they have none. I dont know if I can suspend studies for another year. I dont know if ill be able to manage returning to uni to do my dissertation after a year break, and im considering doing a gap year after 3rd year so i can fund a masters. Im hoping to get rehired at tescos, if I do then things might look up, especially since I genuinely enjoyed who I worked with. I just hope things look up; i feel humiliated every time i cook with my hand me down pots and pans compared to one of my housemates brand new steam cookers. I wear super cheap clothes compared to everyone else I live with. It just sucks because I had no choice in this scenario, even after working my ass off 6 days a week and doing night shifts Im still in this situation again. If it doesnt get better by christmas maybe ill consider deferring. Thank you

It accounts for income after tax and the outgoings are up to your parents. Moving on from that, yes I cna imagine its very difficult, which is why if youd asked me during this summer or the l;ast I would have said take a gap, save several thousand over a year and then experience uni as you should. Second hand pots and pans is irrelevant. You only need a few. . What happens at uni must surely have been known to you the day you enrolled and the day you went back because thats what the maths says. That is why I would never have attempted it.
How many hours a week are you working? Is it that you need more hours?
Original post by 999tigger
It accounts for income after tax and the outgoings are up to your parents. Moving on from that, yes I cna imagine its very difficult, which is why if youd asked me during this summer or the l;ast I would have said take a gap, save several thousand over a year and then experience uni as you should. Second hand pots and pans is irrelevant. You only need a few. . What happens at uni must surely have been known to you the day you enrolled and the day you went back because thats what the maths says. That is why I would never have attempted it.
How many hours a week are you working? Is it that you need more hours?

My student finance went down this year as it had only just accounted for my dads payrise (tax year oddities i believe). I had saved up money over summer but had to buy numerous things including a new computer to do my work (my other went bust), and clothes (they were ripped up to heck and unwearable). If i get the job again ill be working 4-6 hours a week until xmas and then hopefully that x6. My uni course is approx 20-30 hours per week with most of it being "do it urself whilst we upload last years content and not give support". *shrug*
My student finance went down this year as it had only just accounted for my dads payrise (tax year oddities i believe). I had saved up money over summer but had to buy numerous things including a new computer to do my work (my other went bust), and clothes (they were ripped up to heck and unwearable). If i get the job again ill be working 4-6 hours a week until xmas and then hopefully that x6. My uni course is approx 20-30 hours per week with most of it being "do it urself whilst we upload last years content and not give support". *shrug*

You are only working 4-6hrs a week, no chance of increasing it now?
Have you been applying for alternative Christmas jobs? Other supermarkets, post office, warehouses? What you seem to be indicating is you have no money and that will mean sacrificing some of your course. If you get the chance then do 60+ hour weeks just to get the money. Warehouses work over Christmas but its v hard work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending