The Student Room Group

How do I revise?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I don’t know how to actually revise. I’m in year 12 now and revising seems soo hard. I’ve got mocks In December and it’s soo hard for me to gather my knowledge and put it in the exam format. It’s like I can learn the subject but idk how to put it on paper. I really want to do well in my mocks. Plz help :frown:
Reply 1
@learner38 I use flashcards and depending on the subject you can find tutors online or websites that help you revise. For example, for geography I use snaprevise - it has videos on there which you can take notes from. It has loads of subjects on there. YouTube videos are also really useful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ach878
@learner38 I use flashcards and depending on the subject you can find tutors online or websites that help you revise. For example, for geography I use snaprevise - it has videos on there which you can take notes from. It has loads of subjects on there. YouTube videos are also really useful.

Thank you do you do past papers
Reply 3
Original post by learner38
Thank you do you do past papers

Yes I do sometimes they are really useful for getting a feel for actual A level questions.
Reply 4
Moved to A-levels.

What subjects are you actually doing, for a start?
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Moved to A-levels.

What subjects are you actually doing, for a start?

Psychology,history,sociology and philosophy

I do sociology and I do a lot of flashcards about theorists. I also make mindmaps of a summary of all sociologists and their theories relating to a topic
If you're struggling with application rather than pure learning then I think past papers are the way to go. Look at exemplar answers and try some yourself. In an ideal situation you'd get them marked by your teacher.
Reply 8
Original post by ashtolga23
If you're struggling with application rather than pure learning then I think past papers are the way to go. Look at exemplar answers and try some yourself. In an ideal situation you'd get them marked by your teacher.

Thank you!!!!
Reply 9
Original post by josie71202
I do sociology and I do a lot of flashcards about theorists. I also make mindmaps of a summary of all sociologists and their theories relating to a topic

My class hasn’t even gone onto that the teachers aren’t really good but I’ll revise theorists thank you!
My class hasn’t even gone onto that the teachers aren’t really good but I’ll revise theorists thank you!

if you feel behind maybe start pre-reading
Thank you!!!!

Not a problem! Best of luck, and you can DM me if you need.

I do AQA psychology and RS which may relate to your subjects :smile:
Original post by ashtolga23
Not a problem! Best of luck, and you can DM me if you need.

I do AQA psychology and RS which may relate to your subjects :smile:

Ok thank you I do aqa psychology!
Original post by josie71202
if you feel behind maybe start pre-reading

Yes I’ll do tht now since mocks are soon
Ok thank you I do aqa psychology!

Not a problem! I might even be able to plug my teacher's book in that case lmao.
Reply 15

From past experience, making essay plans for history especially is a nice way of sorting through the information and finding out what's important to remember and what isn't. It's easy to fall into the trap of just telling a story rather than properly engaging with the question.
@learner38

One thing that will help you a lot if you progress onto university is to working out how best you learn and revise. Here are some useful tips -

1) some learners are more auditory based - you could record some audio notes on your phone and play them over and over again
2) some people are social learners - you could revise with friends and try and have a laugh about a subject and you will remember it better
3) some people are very visual learners - you could design a spider diagram or a mind map

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@learner38

One thing that will help you a lot if you progress onto university is to working out how best you learn and revise. Here are some useful tips -

1) some learners are more auditory based - you could record some audio notes on your phone and play them over and over again
2) some people are social learners - you could revise with friends and try and have a laugh about a subject and you will remember it better
3) some people are very visual learners - you could design a spider diagram or a mind map

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you soo much for going into depth!
Reply 18
With your mocks, I would advise you to treat them like your real exams and put in a lot of effort. This will stand you in great stead for next year as you’ll have a much better understanding of the course. It will also help to build up your self-discipline and work ethic.

I would make yourself a plan each week with exactly whet you’re going to revise and for how long. Not just ‘biology’ but ‘biology unit 1 cells from 5.30-6.30’. It’s up to you how long you revise for but you should try to push yourself outside your comfort zone and build up disciplined habits. I’d do at least 3 hours on a school night and then 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday in the month before mocks.

I also think it’s important to hold yourself accountable or get someone to do this for you. Review honestly at the end of each week whether or not you have followed your plan and reward or punish yourself accordingly. Rewards could be things like watching a movie on Netflix. Punishments could be thins like making up double the time you’ve missed the following week or no phone for a day.
Original post by Flk10
With your mocks, I would advise you to treat them like your real exams and put in a lot of effort. This will stand you in great stead for next year as you’ll have a much better understanding of the course. It will also help to build up your self-discipline and work ethic.

I would make yourself a plan each week with exactly whet you’re going to revise and for how long. Not just ‘biology’ but ‘biology unit 1 cells from 5.30-6.30’. It’s up to you how long you revise for but you should try to push yourself outside your comfort zone and build up disciplined habits. I’d do at least 3 hours on a school night and then 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday in the month before mocks.

I also think it’s important to hold yourself accountable or get someone to do this for you. Review honestly at the end of each week whether or not you have followed your plan and reward or punish yourself accordingly. Rewards could be things like watching a movie on Netflix. Punishments could be thins like making up double the time you’ve missed the following week or no phone for a day.

Thank you yes I need to work on my discipline and stop procrastinating.

Quick Reply

Latest