The Student Room Group

I have full conversations with myself when I think I'm alone.

I am 15 years old, and I have full conversations with myself when I think I'm alone. I pretend that my favourite fictional characters are in the room with me, just hanging out or watching movies/playing games with me, and I will pretend that I am chatting to them about the stuff that's happened in my day and stuff I find funny. I've been doing this for a good four years now, and sometimes I'll be in the middle of a full conversation and somebody will catch me. I don't know if this is normal or not, and I don't know how to stop it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds fun.
Well I can emphasise with talking to yourself but inventing elaborate characters and talking to them seems quite abnormal.
I don't know how "normal" it is statistically, but it harms nobody and so if it brings you joy then don't sweat it. There's not really any need to stop unless you want to.
I don’t think many people at your age do it but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Do you have people to talk to? Or do you feel like you have nobody close to you? Don’t worry, it could just be a habit you grow out of
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SmartUnicorn
I don’t think many people at your age do it but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Do you have people to talk to? Or do you feel like you have nobody close to you? Don’t worry, it could just be a habit you grow out of

I haven't really got any close friends to talk to, but I have been trying to write down my thoughts instead of saying them out loud. Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
I don't know how "normal" it is statistically, but it harms nobody and so if it brings you joy then don't sweat it. There's not really any need to stop unless you want to.

Thank you. This really made me feel better. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. This really made me feel better. :biggrin:

I’m glad! :smile:
To be fair, I've done similar in the past and I often talk to myself and have full-blown conversations with myself. I find that it helps me make sense of things.
I am 15 years old, and I have full conversations with myself when I think I'm alone. I pretend that my favourite fictional characters are in the room with me, just hanging out or watching movies/playing games with me, and I will pretend that I am chatting to them about the stuff that's happened in my day and stuff I find funny. I've been doing this for a good four years now, and sometimes I'll be in the middle of a full conversation and somebody will catch me. I don't know if this is normal or not, and I don't know how to stop it.

I don't know if it's normal, but this is something I have done on and off for years. I only have the conversations in my head though, not out loud. Might sounds a bit weird, but when I can't sleep, I start making up scenarios with the fictional characters and that always really relaxes me and helps me nod off. I'm in my mid twenties and pretty high-functional adult with decent social skills so even if it's not normal, it hasn't really held me back in life.
I do that too! It doesn't sound weird at all, don't worry. Your response really helped me, thank you.
I don't know if it's normal, but this is something I have done on and off for years. I only have the conversations in my head though, not out loud. Might sounds a bit weird, but when I can't sleep, I start making up scenarios with the fictional characters and that always really relaxes me and helps me nod off. I'm in my mid twenties and pretty high-functional adult with decent social skills so even if it's not normal, it hasn't really held me back in life.

I bet more people do this sort of thing than we realise since it's something very private. I wake up in bed in the early hours of the morning to create stories in my head because it distances me from the monotony of the day, like watching a film. I think I started doing this as a way of getting to sleep like you until it morphed into doing it every day for fun. This is also a good way to have lucid dreams if you're interested - lucid dreams are a whole new level of fantasy, I don't know if you have experienced them before but if you haven't you should try (anyone reading this)!
Sorry if this is a bit off topic lol
I bet more people do this sort of thing than we realise since it's something very private. I wake up in bed in the early hours of the morning to create stories in my head because it distances me from the monotony of the day, like watching a film. I think I started doing this as a way of getting to sleep like you until it morphed into doing it every day for fun. This is also a good way to have lucid dreams if you're interested - lucid dreams are a whole new level of fantasy, I don't know if you have experienced them before but if you haven't you should try (anyone reading this)!
Sorry if this is a bit off topic lol

Most of my dreams are lucid dreams - I nearly always know I am dreaming.
Do you know that they're not there?
Do you also daydream a lot, do you have friends?
I think it stems from boredom, not being mentally stimulated enough, not having new and fun experiences.
Most of my dreams are lucid dreams - I nearly always know I am dreaming.

That's excellent, I envy you
Original post by SpookyCookies
Do you know that they're not there?

I do know they're not there. It isn't like a hallucination or anything like that, I just pretend they are.
That would make sense. I have a couple of friends, but only one that I'm actually close to, and they're often not free to chat to.
That would make sense. I have a couple of friends, but only one that I'm actually close to, and they're often not free to chat to.

You kind of have to make life more interesting for yourself and find ways to stimulate you and find more excitement so you don't conjure up these fantasies or well conversations with yourself.

So you are well aware that the 'people' you are pretending to talk with and have conversations with are not actually there?
I think it's perfectly normal. I do the same thing but in my head and, for me, it's just a way to enjoy my own company and it's a lot of fun so I don't see a problem with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest