The Student Room Group

Car Insurance claim

I started driving and within the 2nd month I tapped a car at about 2mph. Enough for my car to bonce back He took my number plate and I took his. I called my insurance to notify them but not put a claim through. I got a email saying I was at fault and that was that. When my insurance was due for the year my insurance went down by 500£. Though I was at fault. On my insurance it says I have a years no claim. But on the bottom of document it says my ncb is affected and caused 3k of damage Doesn’t make sence to me. If I was at fault how did my insurance go down

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I understand that but why would my insurance say I have 1 year no claim but at the same time say my ncb has been affected at a 3k cost when I had only been driving that year??
Reply 2
Original post by Amylg99
I understand that but why would my insurance say I have 1 year no claim but at the same time say my ncb has been affected at a 3k cost when I had only been driving that year??

Has the claim been settled yet?
Sometimes it's just weird like that, I wrote my car off and my premium went down, they gave me a year NCB and insured me on a more powerful car for cheaper *shrug* I did ask the insurer to clarify on the phone and their best reply was the same 'sometimes it just does that' :confused:

(check your contract for the NCB terms and if you took out claim protection or anything, there's a range of options to 'protect' your NCB these days)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Sometimes it's just weird like that, I wrote my car off and my premium went down, they gave me a year NCB and insured me on a more powerful car for cheaper *shrug* I did ask the insurer to clarify on the phone and their best reply was the same 'sometimes it just does that' :confused:

(check your contract for the NCB terms and if you took out claim protection or anything, there's a range of options to 'protect' your NCB these days)

Yup, same here. NCB was wiped out after a minor prang in a car park, insurance went down at renewal.

The crazy world of statistical analysis.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Has the claim been settled yet?

Yes they said I was at fault. So I tapped the car. Apparently made 3K worth of damage. Yet it says I have a year no claim but also says my ncb was affected
Reply 6

Pretty sure I didn’t protect my ncb
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Yup, same here. NCB was wiped out after a minor prang in a car park, insurance went down at renewal.

I’m just scared if I call up they’ll say I need to pay more or that I’ve tried to hide it and they cancel my insurance
Original post by IWMTom

Yeah, My after my 1st claim free year of driving my premium actually went up :tongue: my prices seem inversely related to trouble caused
Reply 9
Yeah, My after my 1st claim free year of driving my premium actually went up :tongue: my prices seem inversely related to trouble caused

Very strange.
Reply 10
Original post by Amylg99
I’m just scared if I call up they’ll say I need to pay more or that I’ve tried to hide it and they cancel my insurance

It's a tricky one. You know it's wrong, but they've issued you paperwork knowing all the facts.

I'd imagine the onus is still on you to query it, but I'd expect a similar situation to that of @StriderHort whereby the call handler simply shrugs their shoulders and says "lucky you".
Original post by Amylg99
Yes they said I was at fault. So I tapped the car. Apparently made 3K worth of damage. Yet it says I have a year no claim but also says my ncb was affected

Establishing who was at fault isn't necessarily the end of the claim. I was a passenger in an accident ages ago and the other driver/insurer admitted liability pretty early on, actually settling all the financial stuff took quite a while longer.

When I wrote my car off I was v obv at fault, but it still took a while before the council, the cafe and my insurer all agreed on thewir own terms.
Reply 12
Establishing who was at fault isn't necessarily the end of the claim. I was a passenger in an accident ages ago and the other driver/insurer admitted liability pretty early on, actually settling all the financial stuff took quite a while longer.

When I wrote my car off I was v obv at fault, but it still took a while before the council, the cafe and my insurer all agreed on thewir own terms.

The café? What did you do, drive through the front door thinking it was a drive-thru?
Original post by IWMTom
The café? What did you do, drive through the front door thinking it was a drive-thru?

Nah I smacked down a traffic light and sent it through their window :tongue:
Reply 14
Nah I smacked down a traffic light and sent it through their window :tongue:

Classic! :laugh:
Reply 15
My insurance for the year is due in March idk if I should mention it when they renew it or call them now. I’m scared of the outcome
Original post by IWMTom
Classic! :laugh:

I'm sure i've uploaded this before

klonk.jpg

It made The local papers but they never knew it was meeeee :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Amylg99
My insurance for the year is due in March idk if I should mention it when they renew it or call them now. I’m scared of the outcome

Hang on.. so your insurance isn't due for renewal right now? What paperwork mentions your NCB then??
Original post by Amylg99

I'd leave it and see what the renewal figure is. After all you've been entirely straight with your insurer, however long the claim takes to close isn't your responsibility, and you haven't claimed to another insurer that you have a NCB that you might not actually have.
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
Hang on.. so your insurance isn't due for renewal right now? What paperwork mentions your NCB then??

I got a email randomly notify me from a few months ago about it. That they settled it as a at fault claim. So I looked at my Insurance paperwork and it said I had a year no claims but also said my ncb was affected and the cost was 3k. So I’m confused. Like why get the email now and why does it say one thing then another

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending