The Student Room Group

How much does your weekly food shop cost?

I haven't had to do a weekly shop for about a year (moved back home), and I feel like I've lost touch with how much things actually cost.

I've done a main shop that will keep me going for about a week for £35, probably closer to £40 per week once I buy some more fruit and salad later in the week, but that had a few extras I wouldn't usually buy like oil so my average would probably be a bit lower.
However, I remember when I was a student I could live off £12 a week somehow.

How much are you spending a week on food?
I don't really do weekly shops. I tend to spend about £150 max every few months in the supermarkets for a big haul. So lets says £15 a week

Then once a week at my locals for milk/bread/veg/salad things about £10 max

About £5 average on meat a week from the local butchers

So that's £30 a week max.

Not including any splashing outs I do on takeaways or going out to eat etc tbh

But this is after I settled in, otherwise at the beginning I was having to buy a lot more e.g flour for the chapatis, oil, rice, pulses, the herbs and spices which I now only buy when I need and am about to run out.

Edit: I buy to feed 2 people. If I have to feed more, due to feesing other families etc the costs are more. Especially for the meat bit.
(edited 3 years ago)
£19-£22 a week on groceries and toiletries.
Extra if I have to buy replacement light-bulbs or batteries.
That's great value meat.
Do your local butchers receive regular deliveries from nearby farms?

I wish I could find good quality beef & chicken reasonably priced from local butchers.
Meat prices in London & Surrey burn a hole in my food budgets, seem to be constantly rising and meat fraud is a big problem.
I'm cooking for friends & their families during the pandemic, a few are very demanding in terms of the type of meat they will accept and seem to expect large amounts of meat with every meal.
About £35-50 (usually not in one go). At the moment, I am lucky enough that I don't have to budget too hard though.
At the moment nothing. I did a very big food shop last week for the rest of the year.
£25 - £35, I don't eat particularly well. Just a few expensive items.
Original post by londonmyst
That's great value meat.
Do your local butchers receive regular deliveries from nearby farms?

I wish I could find good quality beef & chicken reasonably priced from local butchers.
Meat prices in London & Surrey burn a hole in my food budgets, seem to be constantly rising and meat fraud is a big problem.
I'm cooking for friends & their families during the pandemic, a few are very demanding in terms of the type of meat they will accept and seem to expect large amounts of meat with every meal.

I bulk buy my meat. So some weeks I spend about £40 and freezer it all. Other weeks I spend nothing. Sometimes I spend £8 etc. This was averaged out per week

My partners diet is mostly meat. I have made sure to visit my local butchers constantly over the past two years and to get recognisation as a regular customer. I also haggle prices, ngl the traditional hated Indian way.

My butchers get delivery everyday except on the weekend. I have to make sure the meat is suitable for halaal diet and my in laws are very fussy with the type of meat so learning to make sure the meat is 100% fresh and all.

I also made sure to go to the butchers my mother and my MIL go to and made sure they knew I was their daughter, so they cannot rip me off. Also I went and returned bad meat a few times.
There’s 12 of us so about £150
I used to spend £6 a week on food when I was at Uni. Was mostly eggs and bread. I'll probably never do that again though because it's a miserable existence.
Currently about £20 a week. I only spent about £10 last year as I had no choice but to but now I'm insistent on getting meat and vegetables thatll last me a week or two at least. I have stock of frozen veg and chicken and got dry foods bulk before i restarted uni.
Original post by A+B+C
I haven't had to do a weekly shop for about a year (moved back home), and I feel like I've lost touch with how much things actually cost.

I've done a main shop that will keep me going for about a week for £35, probably closer to £40 per week once I buy some more fruit and salad later in the week, but that had a few extras I wouldn't usually buy like oil so my average would probably be a bit lower.

Mine used to cost £20-25 a week, however it could've been much cheaper if I'd bought less pre-made items (I bought tins of Dolmio sauces etc instead of making it all from scratch)
Original post by A+B+C

Hi!

I would say I spend about £15 a week. I usually bulk buy at the beginning of the month, as it works out cheaper.
Things like porridge and cereal work out quite cheap for breakfast and I usually only eat a bowl of fruit for breakfast. Dinner varies but veg is easy, cheap and filling. I would suggest avoid readymade meals, including the sachets of rice and create your own.
It's a bit odd but try watching some of the programmes like 'eat well for less', as they can help you realise actually what your spending.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Off topic, but what would you count as bad meat? I don't buy from butchers but I don't think I have ever bought any in-date meat that I thought was bad...
Original post by black tea
Off topic, but what would you count as bad meat? I don't buy from butchers but I don't think I have ever bought any in-date meat that I thought was bad...

Anything smelly, or not as fresh as the butcher tells me it is, is bad meat.

I expect to get fresh meat (meaning the day thr meat has come), I ask whether it came today or if it has been in their walk in freezer/cooler. As I usually use a batch of that fresh and the rest I freezer (so really want to get it in the freezer as fresh as I can)

Say for example mince meat, I don't like to get what they have ready on display. From what I know they use all sorts in there, including liver and kidney and it always gives off a bad stench (which you wouldn't realise unless you get them to mince the meat in front of you). Also I expect it to have more meat than the white fatty bits.

I normally have a problem with the mince or chicken. Lamb I don't tend to find fault with.
I see. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending