The Student Room Group

A levels I give up

I'm really struggling with maths a levels. I have always wanted to study computer science at University but now it's has come to a point where I just want to drop out of the school and do nothing in life. I practice maths for hours everyday only to get stuck on every single question I can find and failing the actual exams. Sometimes I just bang my head on the wall and break down in tears because Im just struggling too hard with a level maths. My parents see me crying everyday with math and urge me to stop for my well being. I never used to get this frustrated before as now I am with a level maths
Have you just started A level maths now? it seems like you do not enjoy it at all, i say you drop it. Do not pick an a level you hate this much and find difficult, you will struggle to scrape up Bs. do you NEED a level maths for computer science?
Original post by Unknown2019
Have you just started A level maths now? it seems like you do not enjoy it at all, i say you drop it. Do not pick an a level you hate this much and find difficult, you will struggle to scrape up Bs. do you NEED a level maths for computer science?

Yes I need a level maths for computer science. I don't hate it but I struggle with it like crazy to the point where today I just banged my hand on the wall so hard I started to bleed it was that frustrating to just not be able to answer question after question even though I know the concept every question here is taking me an hour. My parents are concerned about this and I don't know what to do
^this. If you’re finding it that difficult, don’t do it and just drop it. You not only need to enjoy the subjects you’re doing to a certain extent, for your mental health, but you alos need to be able to do well in these subjects. If you’re constantly failing exams even with hours of practice, then maybe maths just isn’t for you. As the above person said, do you NEED a-level maths to do computer science? Or do you have a handful of unis you could apply to for computer science that don’t require a-level maths? Because if you have options where you can still do computer science at uni but don’t need a-level maths, then drop maths and pick up another subject.
Original post by Anonymous17!
^this. If you’re finding it that difficult, don’t do it and just drop it. You not only need to enjoy the subjects you’re doing to a certain extent, for your mental health, but you alos need to be able to do well in these subjects. If you’re constantly failing exams even with hours of practice, then maybe maths just isn’t for you. As the above person said, do you NEED a-level maths to do computer science? Or do you have a handful of unis you could apply to for computer science that don’t require a-level maths? Because if you have options where you can still do computer science at uni but don’t need a-level maths, then drop maths and pick up another subject.

I am an international student I wanted to do computer science abroad I'm afraid if I don't take maths my chances of doing computer science abroad will be almost zero
Original post by Chaos126forever
Yes I need a level maths for computer science. I don't hate it but I struggle with it like crazy to the point where today I just banged my hand on the wall so hard I started to bleed it was that frustrating to just not be able to answer question after question even though I know the concept every question here is taking me an hour. My parents are concerned about this and I don't know what to do

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5007920

This is a link to a thread where someone asked about unis that don’t require maths for computer science. Of course if you drop maths you will be limiting yourself greatly, but it wouldn’t be impossible to go to a good uni and do computer science if you did drop maths. This is assuming that what the person posted is accurate and still up to date, but please look into some options. It will be a risk if you don’t continue with maths yes, but lots of people take risks. I dropped biology in year 12 but I want to do medicine, so I’m very limited to where I can apply but I still have options. You just have to do your research and be strategic. I hope this helps :smile: and if you do choose to continue with maths, maybe take a step back for a few days and then come back to it. Doing hours of practice every day won’t help if you’re still not getting it, maybe you just need to find someone else to extol in it to you. Have a look at some YouTube channels for your spec and also try sites like physics and maths tutor if you haven’t already. They have very useful resources to help you out. I hope it works out for you :wink:

try and see if you can find any apprentiships for computer science. However, not all universitues require maths a levelas long as you have good grades in GCSE maths and computer science.
"Some computer science courses will require maths at A-level and for a handful of courses, further maths is also preferred, but many others will accept you with just GCSE-level maths."if you want to continue with maths, i say IMPROVE REVISION TECHNIQUES. Work efficiently, not for hours inefficiently. Also required grades are Bs so if you get a B you can still get into computer science.
"Some computer science courses will require maths at A-level and for a handful of courses, further maths is also preferred, but many others will accept you with just GCSE-level maths."
I am an international student I wanted to do computer science abroad I'm afraid if I don't take maths my chances of doing computer science abroad will be almost zero

Ah I see. I’m not international so I have no idea how that works for you, but I hope you find a way to crack maths then :lol: I’m doing maths as well and it really is horrible isn’t it? I use physics and maths tutor to help me with maths and I watch YouTube videos for my weak areas as seeing multiple different approaches and tehhnqiues helps me understand better and choose my own way of doing things. So I hope that will be able to help you at least :wink:
Original post by Unknown2019
try and see if you can find any apprentiships for computer science. However, not all universitues require maths a levelas long as you have good grades in GCSE maths and computer science.
"Some computer science courses will require maths at A-level and for a handful of courses, further maths is also preferred, but many others will accept you with just GCSE-level maths."if you want to continue with maths, i say IMPROVE REVISION TECHNIQUES. Work efficiently, not for hours inefficiently. Also required grades are Bs so if you get a B you can still get into computer science.
"Some computer science courses will require maths at A-level and for a handful of courses, further maths is also preferred, but many others will accept you with just GCSE-level maths."

I got 1 a* 3 as 4 Bs and 1 C I'm gcse. The C was in maths. Maths was my lowest gcse
I got 1 a* 3 as 4 Bs and 1 C I'm gcse. The C was in maths. Maths was my lowest gcse

Combined science was my lowest gcse and I’m doing a-level chemistry. I got an A in my last AP, and now when I look back at gcse science stuff I think “wow, that’s so easy”. Don’t worry, I think if you work hard and start revising effectively and efficiently you will be able to get a B at least. What exam board for maths are you doing? If it a UK exam board?
Original post by Anonymous17!
Combined science was my lowest gcse and I’m doing a-level chemistry. I got an A in my last AP, and now when I look back at gcse science stuff I think “wow, that’s so easy”. Don’t worry, I think if you work hard and start revising effectively and efficiently you will be able to get a B at least. What exam board for maths are you doing? If it a UK exam board?

Uk exam board international edexel. For theory subjects what do u do read the textbook? Make notes? I tried making not s but nothing seems to be sinking. Are making notes worth the work
Uk exam board international edexel. For theory subjects what do u do read the textbook? Make notes? I tried making not s but nothing seems to be sinking. Are making notes worth the work

What do you mean by theory subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest