The Student Room Group

Should i do the EPQ?

I want to do bio, chem and spanish at a level next year and I was considering doing the epq. However I know how hard biology and especially chemistry are so I don’t know if I should. Please help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ca_1234
I want to do bio, chem and spanish at a level next year and I was considering doing the epq. However I know how hard biology and especially chemistry are so I don’t know if I should. Please help :smile:

What career path would you like to go down?
Reply 2
Original post by Medicine_is_hard
What career path would you like to go down?

Medicine hopefully x
If you're doing 3 A-Levels, most schools will make you do an EPQ or you'll have a hard time with uni applications, especially in something as competitive as medicine.
Hi, I do biology, chemistry and physics and I’ve also applied for medicine. I decided to do an epq thinking I’d be able to manage it all, however, a few weeks in, I decided to drop it since I couldn’t manage the workload. The epq is something that if you can do it, do it!! However, it’s not something the unis expect so you can get away without doing it :smile: hope that helps!
Reply 5
Hi - I’d really recommend the EPQ though I did mine when it was just starting (2015/2016) so it may have changed a lot! Personally I thought it really gave a good insight into university level work and imo it’s the most freedom you get academically at sixthform level.

When I did mine a lot of the marks rested on the planning and reflection kinda stuff rather than the actual essay but if you put the work in you can get top marks

(I did geography biology and chemistry and managed it fine)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ProbablyPallas
If you're doing 3 A-Levels, most schools will make you do an EPQ or you'll have a hard time with uni applications, especially in something as competitive as medicine.

No university asks you to have an epq if you’re applying for medicine
Original post by XHannahR
No university asks you to have an epq if you’re applying for medicine

An EPQ gives you more credits. People will apply for medicine that have done 4 A Levels. I did 4 A Levels and an EPQ. If you're doing 3 it's silly not to do it and you will struggle to stand out.
Original post by ca_1234
Medicine hopefully x

Same here, I’m currently taking a gap year and applying. I would recommend it to no end, helps to Boost your personal statement and allows you to do more research if you choose something medically related. Can also decrease grades required. Good luck x
Reply 9
Original post by Medicine_is_hard
Same here, I’m currently taking a gap year and applying. I would recommend it to no end, helps to Boost your personal statement and allows you to do more research if you choose something medically related. Can also decrease grades required. Good luck x

Good luck on your applications!! Also I thought that it didn’t lower grade requirements for medicine or dentistry?
Reply 10

Oh really?? I really didntknow this as most of the sixth forms I’m going to apply to don’t make it compulsory. In that case, do you think it would be more worthwhile to do philosophy&ethics as my fourth a level or the epq?
Reply 11
Original post by XHannahR
Hi, I do biology, chemistry and physics and I’ve also applied for medicine. I decided to do an epq thinking I’d be able to manage it all, however, a few weeks in, I decided to drop it since I couldn’t manage the workload. The epq is something that if you can do it, do it!! However, it’s not something the unis expect so you can get away without doing it :smile: hope that helps!

This is one thing I was considering, I really don’t want to sacrifice my grades in bio and chem for the sake of the epq due to workload
Original post by ca_1234
Oh really?? I really didntknow this as most of the sixth forms I’m going to apply to don’t make it compulsory. In that case, do you think it would be more worthwhile to do philosophy&ethics as my fourth a level or the epq?

It's up to how good you think you can do. AAA and a A EPQ is better than BBBC. Discuss it with your head of year/teachers, however personally I wish I had only taken 3 A Levels.
Reply 13
It's up to how good you think you can do. AAA and a A EPQ is better than BBBC. Discuss it with your head of year/teachers, however personally I wish I had only taken 3 A Levels.

What a levels did you do? And do you think you could’ve gotten into medicine if you only did three? Also are there a lot of people in medical school with you that did three?
Original post by ca_1234
Good luck on your applications!! Also I thought that it didn’t lower grade requirements for medicine or dentistry?

It deffo does for some unis for example HYMS and Sheffield drop from AAA to AAB if you have an A or A* in the EPQ x
Original post by ca_1234
What a levels did you do? And do you think you could’ve gotten into medicine if you only did three? Also are there a lot of people in medical school with you that did three?

I did 4 and an EPQ and I got the grades to get in. Just need to get past the interviews. (Not to be up my own arse either, I’m really not that smart just a hard worker)
Original post by ca_1234

I don't do medicine and I'm not in medical school. However, two of my friends are studying medicine at a Russel Group and did 3 A Levels and an EPQ in medicine (They both did Biology, Chemistry, and Maths).
I would at least try to do it, and remember you can always drop it if it becomes too much. You can make it fairly enjoyable if you pick a topic you're interested in.
I think you should take it and then if it turns out to be too much for you, you can always drop it. At least then you’ll know whether it’s manageable or not, and you won’t make the decision of not taking it and regretting it if you get what I’m saying?
An EPQ gives you more credits. People will apply for medicine that have done 4 A Levels. I did 4 A Levels and an EPQ. If you're doing 3 it's silly not to do it and you will struggle to stand out.

The fourth a level and the epq is never part of the formal offer smh..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending