The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

GCSEs for LSE?

I’m currently a Y13 student (in NI, so I don’t go to uni for another 2 years) and I’m wondering could I consider LSE? My first priority course is probably Maths and Economics at LSE and I’m wondering would my GCSE’s be enough to get in there compared to the average student there.
In my GCSE’s I received 2A*s, 5A’s and 2B’s (French and English Literature). I’m just conscious over the 2B’s and I’m wondering would I have “below average” GCSE Results compared to its accepted students and I’m aware of LSE’s ranking and demand for its courses. My school is apparently meant to be seen as “disadvantaged area” on its postcode and I did place in the top 10/15 out of my year for my results. My GCSE’s were also the year of the predicted results because of COVD. I’m also looking at “economics and Acturial science” at Southampton university. I’m wondering is LSE too out of reach for me(or could I possibly strive for higher?) Please be brutally honest. For A-levels, I am studying Maths (Further Maths is not offered anywhere near me), Economics and Physics.
Original post by Michelle746
I’m currently a Y13 student (in NI, so I don’t go to uni for another 2 years) and I’m wondering could I consider LSE? My first priority course is probably Maths and Economics at LSE and I’m wondering would my GCSE’s be enough to get in there compared to the average student there.
In my GCSE’s I received 2A*s, 5A’s and 2B’s (French and English Literature). I’m just conscious over the 2B’s and I’m wondering would I have “below average” GCSE Results compared to its accepted students and I’m aware of LSE’s ranking and demand for its courses. My school is apparently meant to be seen as “disadvantaged area” on its postcode and I did place in the top 10/15 out of my year for my results. My GCSE’s were also the year of the predicted results because of COVD. I’m also looking at “economics and Acturial science” at Southampton university. I’m wondering is LSE too out of reach for me(or could I possibly strive for higher?) Please be brutally honest. For A-levels, I am studying Maths (Further Maths is not offered anywhere near me), Economics and Physics.

Look, LSE looks more deeply in Maths and English subjects. They want a B and above (Grade 6) in both, if you have As and A* for that subjects then you are already in a good position! I understand English Literature its at B but thats fine because its the required grade you are supposed to have! All your GCSE accepts their required grades for GCSE, and your set is not weak at all. A*A*AAAAABB it’s actually good!✨+ It will only take 1 place of the 5 universities you can apply to, so it is worthy to try. What are your expexted A Level Grades?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Franco28
Look, LSE looks more deeply in Maths and English subjects. They want a B and above (Grade 6) in both, if you have As and A* for that subjects then you are already in a good position! I understand English Literature its at B but thats fine because its the required grade you are supposed to have! All your GCSE accepts their required grades for GCSE, and your set is not weak at all. A*A*AAAAABB it’s actually good!✨+ It will only take 1 place of the 5 universities you can apply to, so it is worthy to try. What are your expexted A Level Grades?

I haven’t done any mocks or anything yet but I am finding all okay so far in my subjects. I am particularly enjoying Maths and Economics, finding no problems with them so far - actually looking forward to going to the classes. But yea, I haven’t done any mocks/gotten any predicted grades yet. Would you say LSE would be the best for me to look at or could I (have a look at, not necessarily saying I could apply) reach for higher? It’s just I would be very ambitious. I know LSE is still a very successful school and it is where I have my sights set on at the moment.
I haven’t done any mocks or anything yet but I am finding all okay so far in my subjects. I am particularly enjoying Maths and Economics, finding no problems with them so far - actually looking forward to going to the classes. But yea, I haven’t done any mocks/gotten any predicted grades yet. Would you say LSE would be the best for me to look at or could I (have a look at, not necessarily saying I could apply) reach for higher? It’s just I would be very ambitious. I know LSE is still a very successful school and it is where I have my sights set on at the moment.

I think you can go higher! Obviously you should always have your backup plan, but your grades are good so you dont have to go to unis with low required grades. If you think you can achieve A* in your A Levels then yes, go higher! In My A Levels I feel I will achieve A*A*A, also my GCSE A Levels that are revelant are strong. For example History Grade A, Spanish Grade A*, English Language Grade A, Maths hopefully Grade A (I’m retaking it), so Im going high! I want to apply to Oxford University, UCL, KCL, LSE and University of Glasgow. So yeah they look at all GCSE but look more at revelant GCSEs, so dont go lower, but have your backup universities. If i dont do well on the LNAT exam, I will apply to 2 higher universities but 3 lower unis (non Lnat unis). The only thing you need its a killer personal statement, killer A Levels Grades and strong Grades on GCSE. And if you have to do an exam for the university, kill that exam too!✨

How do you find economics? I'm considering doing it for my A-levels next year and I would like to know wether it's the right thing for me
Reply 5
Original post by cloudy1012
How do you find economics? I'm considering doing it for my A-levels next year and I would like to know wether it's the right thing for me

I done it for GCSE as well and my teacher would get phenomenal results (some placing top in the exam board for economics) so I did have an advantage taking it for a level. I really enjoy it, I think it’s a very real (like can apply to the real world) subject. There is a lot of content but I don’t know how much it would compare to other a level subjects but I think it would be the same(maybe a little more) . It may be more content but for LSE it would be considered “preferred” whereas business studies is considered “non-preferred”. Economics would be seen as quite academic. But with it you could use it for law (because it’s essay based) or even finance (because well obviously it’s discussing money). There is a broad range for it. For a good grade, it’s definetly not a dosser subject, you defo have to listen in class. Ultimately, if your a hard worker and think you’ll have an interest in it, I think it’s a very rewarding subject. You could try and watch some crash courses on some topics on YouTube to see will you have an interest in it.
(edited 3 years ago)
I done it for GCSE as well and my teacher would get phenomenal results (some placing top in the exam board for economics) so I did have an advantage taking it for a level. I really enjoy it, I think it’s a very real (like can apply to the real world) subject. There is a lot of content but I don’t know how much it would compare to other a level subjects but I think it would be the same(maybe a little more) . It may be more content but for LSE it would be considered “preferred” whereas business studies is considered “non-preferred”. Economics would be seen as quite academic. But with it you could use it for law (because it’s essay based) or even finance (because well obviously it’s discussing money). There is a broad range for it. For a good grade, it’s definetly not a dosser subject, you defo have to listen in class. Ultimately, if your a hard worker and think you’ll have an interest in it, I think it’s a very rewarding subject. You could try and watch some crash courses on some topics on YouTube to see will you have an interest in it.

Thank you! I'm doing business for my GCSE's now and I'm really enjoying it so I really wanted to carry on and do economics as well.
Reply 7
Original post by cloudy1012
Thank you! I'm doing business for my GCSE's now and I'm really enjoying it so I really wanted to carry on and do economics as well.

I personally think them two together would be very complimenting, there are people in my class who do the two and some of the stuff we cover in economics, they may have or are about to cover that topic in business - but I would just be careful because for example LSE and certain universities, they would actually prefer students who didn’t have the two (I don’t know why) and it can be seen as limiting options. At the end of the day though, for a levels it’s more about how you do rather what you do if you know what I mean, but just something to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending