The Student Room Group

AAA-AAB grade requirements??

What does it mean when the grade requirements say AAA-AAB? If you get offered a place with AAB is there a reason why they didn’t say AAA?
Original post by herby13
What does it mean when the grade requirements say AAA-AAB? If you get offered a place with AAB is there a reason why they didn’t say AAA?

it's their standard-minimum set of grade requirements. AAA would be what their standard ones are (the main set of grades they want from you), and AAB would be the minimum set of grades that they would take in order for you to be considered by them. If you get AAB, they'll take your offer, but you'll be more carefully looked over as you didn't hit the main set of grade requirements. If, for example, I applied to a University that gave me the conditional offer of AAB, they've looked at my application and saw that I have the ability to study at their university, therefore have set me the AAB expected grades because they see I have potential to go there. If I were to get AAA conditional offer, that would mean they've seen my application but are unsure about my ability, so have set me the higher grades to see If I do (have the ability to study at their university).

Hope this helps :')
Reply 2
AAA will usually be the standard offer. AAB will likely be the offer if you meet certain conditions, for example getting a particular grade in EPQ (normally A or B), or meeting certain requirements for a university access scheme such as living/going to school in a certain area (usually somewhere where schools perform below the national average), being an asylum seeker, having been in care or having parents who did not go to university. Look around on university websites and check any pages about entry requirements where the offer grades might be explained.
Could be contextual or dependant on the subjects you are taking.
Reply 4
thanks everyone! i got an aab rather than aaa but there was no conditions so i was curious. :smile:
Original post by herby13
thanks everyone! i got an aab rather than aaa but there was no conditions so i was curious. :smile:

Usually the higher grade is the normal grade and the lower one you get if you meet the contextual conditions. This varies between universities but is due to the post code you live, if you have been in the 40% for A level results or have been in care. Some offer lower grades based on being the first in your family to go to university or if you attended a summer school there.

Other times it might be the subject that you are taking at A level. An example would be if you are applying for a Maths course and you are taking Further Maths then the will offer you the lower grade.

However most of the time it is the contextual offer and this is flagged up as part of your ucas application.
Original post by sanct1fy
AAB would be the minimum set of grades that they would take in order for you to be considered by them. If you get AAB, they'll take your offer, but you'll be more carefully looked over as you didn't hit the main set of grade requirements.

Not necessarily correct.

Often the second grade set is for Contextual offers - lower grade offers made to those from low performing schools etc.
Or it might be for those taking a certain combination of subjects.

Applicants should always check with the University exactly what the criteria is for receiving lower grade offer - never just assume that you will be considered with low grades, or that you will get the lower offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending