The Student Room Group

Home clothes day

It's home clothes day for my school soon, and I'm thinking of something funny to wear, ones that the teachers will frown vigorously upon but have nothing they can do because it's not offensive or exposing. So I'm thinking of a nice posh suit and a pair of long white trousers. But me having no fashion sense whatsoever, and coming from a relatively conservative neighborhood (I occasionally hear classmates trash talking about gay teachers), so I'm worried they might find the white trousers strange. I'm just gay and don't particularly want to unintentionally come off as trans or anything. So...any thoughts?
Original post by Anonymous
It's home clothes day for my school soon, and I'm thinking of something funny to wear, ones that the teachers will frown vigorously upon but have nothing they can do because it's not offensive or exposing. So I'm thinking of a nice posh suit and a pair of long white trousers. But me having no fashion sense whatsoever, and coming from a relatively conservative neighborhood (I occasionally hear classmates trash talking about gay teachers), so I'm worried they might find the white trousers strange. I'm just gay and don't particularly want to unintentionally come off as trans or anything. So...any thoughts?

The thing is, if you're wanting to wear something funny, it's going to be something out of the ordinary or 'strange', so if you want to be funny you've gotta own it no matter what the minority might think. If you don't care about what the teachers will think why care about the students? Also a suit isn't necessarily related to a certain gender/sex - men and women wear them so you won't necessarily look trans. Maybe you could start a fundraising thing so nobody can judge you for doing a good thing?
Reply 2
It already is a fundraising thing-everyone has to pay to wear their own clothes. I'm only worried about the white trousers. They're my mom's and I've never seen any men wear white trousers. I was thinking of wearing them because it'd be a nice contrast with the suit and leave everyone speechless.

Yeah I don't care about what the students think (or I shouldn't anyway), you're right. I'm like 2-3 years older than them and they see me as some demented grandfather. So I guess it'll work out fine. Why waste home clothes day wearing the shirt you wear every weekend, right?
It already is a fundraising thing-everyone has to pay to wear their own clothes. I'm only worried about the white trousers. They're my mom's and I've never seen any men wear white trousers. I was thinking of wearing them because it'd be a nice contrast with the suit and leave everyone speechless.

Yeah I don't care about what the students think (or I shouldn't anyway), you're right. I'm like 2-3 years older than them and they see me as some demented grandfather. So I guess it'll work out fine. Why waste home clothes day wearing the shirt you wear every weekend, right?

Only a pound or something though, right? :wink: (As bad as it sounds) for something they might not even care much about? Nothing wrong with doing more to help a charity that you and other teenagers feel strongly about :smile: I've actually seen plenty of men in white trousers - mostly jeans though so you'll still stand out, just not in as drastic a way as you'd think.

You definitely shouldn't care what they think, even though it's easier said than done. Life's too short, and like you said why waste a non-uniform day dressing the same as everyone else, because you do that every day of they year. You might surprise some people with your care free attitude and they might wanna make conversation with you to understand why :smile:

Also... why do they see you as a demented grandfather, I'm intrigued hahaha

It wouldn't leave me speechless, the only thing I'd be thinking is: "Gosh, white trousers, how impractical!" because they WILL get dirty (or you'll spend the whole day worried that they will get dirty).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending