The Student Room Group

ial u5 chem oct 2020

how do u think about it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
how do u think about it

are you doing paper 6 for biology and chemistry next week?
Original post by halbsp
are you doing paper 6 for biology and chemistry next week?

nope,I will do it in Jan. u r a fast learner...
Reply 3

oh ok well good luck with those
Reply 4

i know u might not have anything but i figured it was worth asking... do u have any links/resources/vids relevant to the new practical content though? :smile:
Original post by halbsp
i know u might not have anything but i figured it was worth asking... do u have any links/resources/vids relevant to the new practical content though? :smile:

no...😥
How was the Unit 6 paper?
Reply 7
Original post by arjun2101
How was the Unit 6 paper?

meh... it was ok just kinda confusing. what abt u? what did u get for the complex ion for q 1 and also the organic compound on that nmr question??
Original post by halbsp
meh... it was ok just kinda confusing. what abt u? what did u get for the complex ion for q 1 and also the organic compound on that nmr question??

For the nmr one, I got the ester, and then 2 carboxylic acids, the nmr showed the acid with a methyl group displaying proton symmetry. For the complex ion, I think it was copper or cobalt. What did u put?
Reply 9
For the nmr one, I got the ester, and then 2 carboxylic acids, the nmr showed the acid with a methyl group displaying proton symmetry. For the complex ion, I think it was copper or cobalt. What did u put?

yeah nmr i got ester but i put diol & carboxylic acid :frown: complex ion i got copper but what did u get for the anion? it looked like chromate to me but that feels completely wrong
Original post by halbsp
yeah nmr i got ester but i put diol & carboxylic acid :frown: complex ion i got copper but what did u get for the anion? it looked like chromate to me but that feels completely wrong.

I think I got the first question wrong, because copper is NEVER green......, the anion I think I put ammonium but most likely that is wrong. But definitely, the colours in the table specified chromium. But how can the compound have more than one metal? Not diol tho, coz they said reacts with carbonate to form CO2.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think I got the first question wrong, because copper is NEVER green......, the anion I think I put ammonium but most likely that is wrong. But definitely, the colours in the table specified chromium. But how can the compound have more than one metal?

Hold on, it should be CrCuO4, now only I get it
Original post by halbsp
yeah nmr i got ester but i put diol & carboxylic acid :frown: complex ion i got copper but what did u get for the anion? it looked like chromate to me but that feels completely wrong

Also, what did you put for the rate question regarding the student accidentally adding an extra 0.5cm3 of bromate.
Reply 13
I think I got the first question wrong, because copper is NEVER green......, the anion I think I put ammonium but most likely that is wrong. But definitely, the colours in the table specified chromium. But how can the compound have more than one metal? Not diol tho, coz they said reacts with carbonate to form CO2.

it was definitely copper. it said that the anion turned green not the cation so thats why it was the chromate anion. ik it was weird. yeah ik i got it wrong for the carboxylic acid. i said that the student would still b able to use that sample of 8.5 bromate bc its a constant and but they need to keep the other reactants/total volume constant (something along those lines). what did u put? and also what did u put for why phenol was used in the experiment
Original post by halbsp
it was definitely copper. it said that the anion turned green not the cation so thats why it was the chromate anion. ik it was weird. yeah ik i got it wrong for the carboxylic acid. i said that the student would still b able to use that sample of 8.5 bromate bc its a constant and but they need to keep the other reactants/total volume constant (something along those lines). what did u put? and also what did u put for why phenol was used in the experiment

Yeah, but you had to get the complex ion structure right as well. For the bromate one, I said that the student could use it since the total v should remain constant, and the graph data points can still be accurately plotted. For the phenol one, I said for the indicator to turn yellow in alkaline, so that the change to red colour upon addition of acid will be easier to observe. What abt u?
Reply 15
Yeah, but you had to get the complex ion structure right as well. For the bromate one, I said that the student could use it since the total v should remain constant, and the graph data points can still be accurately plotted. For the phenol one, I said for the indicator to turn yellow in alkaline, so that the change to red colour upon addition of acid will be easier to observe. What abt u?

wdym the complex ion structure? i cant remember the questions correctly but ik i put cu as the cation and Cr2O7 2- as the anion. basically same for phenol
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by halbsp
wdym the complex ion structure? i cant remember the questions correctly but ik i put cu as the cation and Cr2O7 2- as the anion. basically same for phenol

Yeah that was my anion too but I put cobalt as the cation unfortunately. What did you put for the 1m question where they asked to draw a graph for reaction conc vs time. My graph was linear so I put first order.
Yeah that was my anion too but I put cobalt as the cation unfortunately. What did you put for the 1m question where they asked to draw a graph for reaction conc vs time. My graph was linear so I put first order.

no, that anion is wrong. It should be CrO4- but I am not sure
Reply 18
no, that anion is wrong. It should be CrO4- but I am not sure

ok we will see i cant remmeber the question very well anymore so you might be right, who knows. for the graph i also got a (positive) linear one so i put first order but for my justification i wrote about how when the conc of the reactant doubles so does the rate. what did u put? also what did u put for theb hazard of the phenol experiment and how to lower the risk? also did u do paper5?
Original post by halbsp
ok we will see i cant remmeber the question very well anymore so you might be right, who knows. for the graph i also got a (positive) linear one so i put first order but for my justification i wrote about how when the conc of the reactant doubles so does the rate. what did u put? also what did u put for theb hazard of the phenol experiment and how to lower the risk? also did u do paper5?

For the first order justification, they wanted to state the assumption for which this was valid. What did you write for that one, I wrote that the concentration of reactant is assumed to not be limiting. The hazard would be corrosive, so I said wear gloves, since the question only stated wear goggles and lab coat. I did paper 5, it was HARD.

Quick Reply

Latest