The Student Room Group

Ignoring Box Junctions Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHE34XbixhU

The video advising to just ignore them and treat them like a normal junction. Seems to be a good idea to avoid confusion, but is this ok on a test?
Reply 1
Original post by lBackSeatDriverl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHE34XbixhU

The video advising to just ignore them and treat them like a normal junction. Seems to be a good idea to avoid confusion, but is this ok on a test?

From the Highway Code: 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

So yes, you can effectively treat it as a normal junction, However don’t get trapped inside one, so if you are waiting inside one to turn right and your light goes red, the light will be red for oncoming traffic too, you will have about 5 seconds to move off and turn right before the lights for traffic coming from left/right turn green and you will cause an obstruction to them. On a test the same would apply to a normal junction as they are both majorly inconvenient to other road users
i

Original post by TheDE
From the Highway Code: 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

So yes, you can effectively treat it as a normal junction, However don’t get trapped inside one, so if you are waiting inside one to turn right and your light goes red, the light will be red for oncoming traffic too, you will have about 5 seconds to move off and turn right before the lights for traffic coming from left/right turn green and you will cause an obstruction to them. On a test the same would apply to a normal junction as they are both majorly inconvenient to other road users

in my mind box junctions are a waste of paint as they are basically crossroads. Or am I misunderstanding something?
i

in my mind box junctions are a waste of paint as they are basically crossroads. Or am I misunderstanding something?

You are misunderstanding. He says, in fairness, that you should keep all junctions clear, which is correct. The yellow box is there to tell other drivers that you're not proceeding from the white line because you don't want to block the junction. If there was no yellow box present, this should still be the case, however the impatient drivers behind are going to get angry at you for not utilising the junction (as well as the "keep the junction clear" rules not being enforced).

Hope that clears it up a bit. Listen to what he's saying carefully.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah imagine there would be occassions where you could anger traffic waiting behind. What i was more wondering was, whats the difference between a box junction compared to a crossroad? Because if you want to turn right you can wait in the area on either, so i cant see the difference. I probably sound stupid but im trying to learn here lol. I appreciate your reply:smile:.
Reply 5
Yeah imagine there would be occassions where you could anger traffic waiting behind. What i was more wondering was, whats the difference between a box junction compared to a crossroad? Because if you want to turn right you can wait in the area on either, so i cant see the difference. I probably sound stupid but im trying to learn here lol. I appreciate your reply:smile:.

The main difference is that stopping in a normal junction when not turning right incurs no fine or offence, stopping in a yellow box when not turning right can incur a PCN and moving traffic violation. They are normally busier junctions.

On a test if you are stopped in a normal junction and trapped behind the lights, it will get a serious fault only if you block traffic or proceed when traffic is trying to cross you. If it is a yellow box you don’t need to block traffic to get a serious fault.

No, you don't sound stupid - it's a good question.

Exactly as TheDE has mentioned. If you're going straight ahead and there is traffic building up on your exit, you wait at the lights until you are sure you are able to clear the junction. If you go straight ahead, go past the lights but stop because of traffic building up on your exit and end up stopping inside the box junction, you will be fined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending