The Student Room Group

I feel very alone, Please help?

I have really bad anxiety and so I had to drop out of secondary school a year earlier while all my friends stayed for the final year. The friend group is really close still but I feel more and more excluded from them. I call and text them quite often but it’s only ever me calling or texting them. They’ll almost always reply but never initiate any conversation. During summer I found out they had hung out as group a few times with out me and it took two times of me bringing it up to get invited but by that point the summer had ended. They’ll also let me come and genuinely seem to be oaky with me being there but nobody actively tries to include me. I don’t know what to do, it’s their right to not want to invite me but I’ve been friends with these people for years and even dated one of them for a year. Covid means I cant join any clubs and I just want friends, im so lonely. Anyone got any advice? Am i being unreasonable with my friends or...? I don’t know
Original post by Anonymous
I have really bad anxiety and so I had to drop out of secondary school a year earlier while all my friends stayed for the final year. The friend group is really close still but I feel more and more excluded from them. I call and text them quite often but it’s only ever me calling or texting them. They’ll almost always reply but never initiate any conversation. During summer I found out they had hung out as group a few times with out me and it took two times of me bringing it up to get invited but by that point the summer had ended. They’ll also let me come and genuinely seem to be oaky with me being there but nobody actively tries to include me. I don’t know what to do, it’s their right to not want to invite me but I’ve been friends with these people for years and even dated one of them for a year. Covid means I cant join any clubs and I just want friends, im so lonely. Anyone got any advice? Am i being unreasonable with my friends or...? I don’t know

You’re being very reasonable. They know about your anxiety, right?
If so then they should be the ones calling and texting and starting convos because this caused you to drop out of school. Also with COVID around, that would make your condition worse, not seeing the people you get along with.
If you’re getting a bit sad/lonely, dm me. I might not answer straight away but I’ll try and help anyways 😊
Reply 2
It sucks that you feel like this and that your friends are doing this. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all in feeling like this. They're kinda being d*cks. That being said, I don't think you should feel resentment towards them since this situation is so difficult and they probably don't know how to handle it better. It's common to end up distant from people that you were once really close with and sometimes you relight that friendship spark but sometimes you don't and it's sucky. This has happened to me a bunch of times and it feels pretty sh*t but it's not all bad bc a lot of times you end up meeting great people as a result of being forced to find new friends.
Hope this helps, feel free to dm me if you want :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BluMoon06
You’re being very reasonable. They know about your anxiety, right?
If so then they should be the ones calling and texting and starting convos because this caused you to drop out of school. Also with COVID around, that would make your condition worse, not seeing the people you get along with.
If you’re getting a bit sad/lonely, dm me. I might not answer straight away but I’ll try and help anyways 😊

Thank you ☺️ They do know about my Anxiety but I guess they don’t know how to handle it, which is oaky, at the end of the day they’re not responsible for making feel better. I really really appreciate knowing someones there though so thank you for that (:
Reply 4
Original post by jjnaeris
It sucks that you feel like this and that your friends are doing this. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all in feeling like this. They're kinda being d*cks. That being said, I don't think you should feel resentment towards them since this situation is so difficult and they probably don't know how to handle it better. It's common to end up distant from people that you were once really close with and sometimes you relight that friendship spark but sometimes you don't and it's sucky. This has happened to me a bunch of times and it feels pretty sh*t but it's not all bad bc a lot of times you end up meeting great people as a result of being forced to find new friends.
Hope this helps, feel free to dm me if you want :smile:

Thanks for the response, I know you’re 100% right I guess it’s just one of those things ill have to push through until I meet some new people after covid has cooled down, I think just needed to hear that from someone else though (: Honestly thanking for taking time to write a response, I honestly feel a lot better after just talking about a little and knowing others have gone through it☺️
Thank you ☺️ They do know about my Anxiety but I guess they don’t know how to handle it, which is oaky, at the end of the day they’re not responsible for making feel better. I really really appreciate knowing someones there though so thank you for that (:

That’s okay. I have social anxiety and moved schools so I understand what your going through ish
Reply 6
That’s okay. I have social anxiety and moved schools so I understand what your going through ish

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one, I hope you’re doing oaky with your anxiety as well☺️
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one, I hope you’re doing oaky with your anxiety as well☺️

It’s not been too bad. Hbu
It’s not been too bad. Hbu

Apart from the whole friend thing, it’s oaky mostly~ covid strangely helped in the sense I’m legally not allowed interact with people 😅
Reply 9
Thanks for the response, I know you’re 100% right I guess it’s just one of those things ill have to push through until I meet some new people after covid has cooled down, I think just needed to hear that from someone else though (: Honestly thanking for taking time to write a response, I honestly feel a lot better after just talking about a little and knowing others have gone through it☺️

I'm glad it helps :wink:
I actually met my now best friend 2 months ago at the start of school but I changed schools almost right after starting so I barely got to the chance to get to know them (or anyone else at that school for that matter). However, I managed to find their social media, reached out and now we talk every day over text but haven't seen each other since school, so maybe you don't have to wait till everything cools down to find friends. Ik you're in a different situation but I'm sure there are ways to meet people

no, you're definitely not being unreasonable, and I wish I could smack some sense into your friends.

I'm not saying leave them in the dust just yet, but you might want to take this opportunity to make some new friends- probably only online for now cause of covid.
as others have said before, feel free to reach out to me if you ever wanna talk, im pretty friendly and definetely need someone new to retell all my terrible jokes to :wink:
Original post by netflix84
no, you're definitely not being unreasonable, and I wish I could smack some sense into your friends.

I'm not saying leave them in the dust just yet, but you might want to take this opportunity to make some new friends- probably only online for now cause of covid.
as others have said before, feel free to reach out to me if you ever wanna talk, im pretty friendly and definetely need someone new to retell all my terrible jokes to :wink:

Aww thank you, I’m glad there’s so many nice people online like you (: I’ll try and get my confidences up a little and make some online friends at some point, but I’m really thankful for the support, It’s just what i needed right now ☺️
Original post by Contender
Grow tf up you snowflake

shut tf up you troll

Quick Reply

Latest